The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I didn't understand that! *gulp*

Something about God, and you thinking?
Reply 21
@AnythingButChardonnay:
Wah?! Did I start to rant in German? *checks* Oh damn, *checks grammar* hmmm, I hope the grammar is fairly right.XD).
I was ranting about failing the oral and etc (I do it wayyy too often!) while revising for German! ^^;; You can tell I am going nuts with the revision.XD
Reply 22
Reply 23
Learning the oral questions? Is it like learning the answer to them or something? [Sorry about asking, I don't have proper oral questions. >__<].

If this helps at all...I look at a question and write down possible things I could say in note form and then try to say it and checking it.
I learnt set phrases (they are literally my life saviours!), I just learn them plus my ideas and
repeat the process above again. o__O?
So by this way, I kind of learn my oral "by heart", as I have memorised what to say and set phrases. :smile: So regardless of what hhe question, I know I have something to say first while I try to put my ideas into sentences in my head. XD
Any another thing, I think it's really helpful when you try and speak to yuorself, to the mirror and etc and just anything with German on it!
Good luck!!!
Reply 24
In my mocks there's been a couple of questions where my mind just goes blank, then I start to panic and go errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr for ages, whilst my teacher's sitting there with an encouraging smile :rolleyes:

Main thing I'm going to do is try to keep calm, as I know I'll be angry with myself afterwards if I get nervous.
Reply 26
I did my german orals today and french before easter. They went far better than I thought they would.

German is my weaker language and i definately needed to learn a few things. For me the best way is to take each topic, think about the possible questions that could be asked and write a presentation containing everything for each topic. THen i just learnt all the presentations and used chunks of them according to what question was asked. It definately worked for me, especially as they like you to keep talking for as long as you can. I got low B in my mocks and was really disapointed. Pulled it up to an A* (my teacher sneakily told me that's wht she thought i would get) so for me it definately worked. We had really good notes for takling the Higher role plays. Just learn a few set phrases, and you can work the rest out in there. THat was the bit i stressed about, and seriously there is really no need. It's really easy to get 5 or 6 out of 8 (OCR) and that is good enough for a top mark so really don't worry.

French, for me, is alot easier and i didn't need alot of intense revision as we had covered all the material throughout the year. Although i suppose if this is your weaker language, the same principal could apply.

Well hope that helps anyone, even a little. And seriously try not to stress. I know it is easier said than done, but it is alot easier to focus if you don't panic. Good Luck!! :smile:
SpiritedAway
unprepared topic? for GCSE? since when? when i did my GCSEs (last year) we were to prepare 20 questions in total (that covered all the topics that they HAVE to ask) and we got to number which ones we'd like if we got them. like i didn't like the environment topic, so i labelled that as 5 (least wanted to do). and they read off a sheet and we answered from what we prepared

Waaah, you are so lucky, we only get to prepare some questions for our prepared topic and the teacher does not even garanteen us that he will ask us questions only from those questions we prepared as well!
We have to do two conversations. One prepared and the teacher will ask us questiosn from a topic which we haven't prepared, i.e. having no questions prepared for them. :frown:
Also, we can't over prepare, have to pronounce the words correctly (and like a native too), otherwise we get marks deducted for bad pronunciation.

It's hard but it's fine as well because it's a language exam. :biggrin:
Reply 28
Mine are next weekend! ARGH *cram revision*
Reply 29
Conor012
Anyone have any tips for just sitting down and learning the oral questions? I mean, I can do it, but I really don't have much time as I would like, so I'd like to use it as effectively as possible. Any tips?

Well, this really may not help. But as I exercise on my exercise bike almost every day for 20 minutes, I take my French conversation questions with me and learn them while I cycle....

And I have them stuck up in the shower as well :biggrin: Sad, but it means I don't have to learn them in my "free" time.

Also, I don't ever spend too much time on one question. I tend to read it through, try to repeat it without looking, then move on. But by the time you have done this 5, 6 or 7 times, it gets stuck in your head. It means you don't get bored as easily. It also helps that my sister is taking GCSE French at the same time as me, but a year early for her- we test each other, it means you don't get distracted and get more done in a similar amount of time. You could always revise with a friend to make it a little less monotonous.

So any techniques a bit like that, you could use.
Reply 30
yeah, i did the bike thing to learn my AS presentation. i can't just sit and revise and so my mum's bike is a god-sent
Reply 32
I've got a question. For gcse orals do you have to elaborate to get 10 for the C role play?

Thanks
3107a
I've got a question. For gcse orals do you have to elaborate to get 10 for the C role play?

Thanks

Yes, if you're just answering with the basic answers, then you're not going to get that many marks. Although if you don't know what you're talking about, keep it simple.
Reply 34
Oh my gosh my orals are tomorrow :s-smilie:

Just keep forgetting things (argh)..

Good luck all!!!
Spanish one next week, EEK.
Reply 36
Oh my oral was today

I really messed up the french C role play :frown:...which was a shame because in the mock i had done really well in the C role play :s-smilie:

Ah well... no point dwelling on it (THOUGH I WILL) :smile:

Good luck everyone!
I had my German yesterday and it went much better than I dared to expect. Suddenly he just said "end of test" and that was that.

The few days before the oral are much worse than the oral itself.
Reply 38
Spanish next Tuesday! Argh!

Had a practice with my presentation today and it's too long :s-smilie: It was too short in the mocks at Christmas :rolleyes: Apparently I can't find a happy medium! My teacher is counting on me being nervous on the day and speaking a little faster but if I speak much faster they'll struggle to understand anything I say :p:
Reply 39
I had my french oral today (exam board WJEC). Afterwards I was told by the teacher that it was the best speaking she'd seen me do :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending