The Student Room Group

GCSE Core Science A - Will i get my A*?

I don't know where to start! I'm so disappointed...

I guess I'll give some statistics about my results before going any further:

Biology 1a- 50/50 - A*
Chemistry 1a - 43/50 - A
Chemistry 1b - 42/50 - A
Physics 1a - 47/50 - A*
(ISA) Thermal Insulation - 30/40 - ?

I've calculated it all and it looks like my ISA is going to drag me down with a score of 77 (high B). It's almost impossible to get an A* now; even if i do exceptionally well in my last 2 modulars.

What can I do about the ISA, and how can i get my A* without re-sitting the next year, I've tried my hardest... On the brighter side, I will definitely get my A even if i kind of mess up on the next 2 exams! I only need 61/100 UMS to get into the A grade boundary in the next 2 test, which is literally only C grades in both. Lol. I don't see why i should put the effort if i put in the effort if I can't get an A*. What do you think?

~Ramadulla

P.S: Sorry for rambling on about stuff and not making it clear :p: .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From what I gather, you don't want to resit. And if you don't want to resit then you won't probably get the A*. So, if I was in your postion I'd concentrate on my weaker subjects as that A is in the bag almost!
yeah those isas are doorknobs.. if i wasnt doing separate sciences and my teacher wasnt taking best 3.. id be on like a C right now lol

just make sure you concentrate on your year 11 stuff if you cant get an A* now..but dont you need something like a total of 4 ISAs for double award?
You only need one ISA for each science if you're doing separate science. If you're doing dual award you only need one, which is the best one.
its so damn hard to get an A* in this new flipping spec :frown:
Reply 5
C is nothing to be ashamed off, as long as your not getting it because your slacking. Everyones different, you should push yourself to your limits and achieve your best. Even if your best is a C.. so what?
Reply 7
Reply 8
Yeah, I'm in the same position. Didn't bother with revision for the coursework exams, ended up with average results. Therefore I have A*s in all multiple choice modules and low As-Bs in the ISAs, meaning I can only get a A. Of course an A is good, it's always nice to have an A* though.
Reply 9
Is this the course that involves the multiple choice papers? We did this last year and people are still able to have another round of resits soon and there's been about 3 oppurtunities for ISA resits. I guess that's you're only hope of getting an A* :frown:
This is Core Science. Just try your best and know you can put more effort in next year when you do Additional Science.

Don't be disappointed - if the A is the best you can do, accept that. Don't put unnecessary stress on yourself to live up to expectations.

You can also retake your Core Science ISA next year and by then, it'll seem easy.
Thanks for the amazing replies :biggrin:.
Is there any chance my ISA will be moderated by someone from AQA; i feel suspicious with my teacher's marking, she is often strict and (i think) she dislikes me. I'm surprised i only managed a 30/40 (including practical skills assignment).
it most likely will be.. not sure how it works for science, i think it has to be called up

and be warned, they are VERY strict on marking.. i got 27 marks on resistance of a wire because i used words like resitivity instead of resistance....
Yeah ISAs will be moderated. And by the way, 30/40 isn't the UMS score, and it isn't just times 2.5...
Reply 14
I don't know what I got in the ISA, but I got 100/100 in Physics and Bio and 91/100 in Chem, so I'm really hoping I did ok in the ISA, to get an A* in Science would be great!
d123
I don't know what I got in the ISA, but I got 100/100 in Physics and Bio and 91/100 in Chem, so I'm really hoping I did ok in the ISA, to get an A* in Science would be great!

Wow. You're a genius! A* for both :biggrin:.
I wish I'd worked harder last year for core science, as if I'd really revised my arse off I could probably have gotten an A instead of the B I have now.

My ISA was an A though, thought that was one of the easiest bits.
you and me both.. im luckily doing separate sciences which saved my bacon
Reply 18
Is It Possible To Retake Isa Now Or Am I Too Late I Am In Yr 10 And I've Got Phy1 Chy1 Bly1 In 10 -12 Days What Can I Do I Got A C In My Isa's And I Can Never Get An A* Now. Help Please :frown::frown::frown::frown:
25% coursework:
ISA is out of 34 inc 6 for tables and graphs
6 teachers practically assesment

Latest