The Student Room Group

Architecture Stress Thread

Scroll to see replies

Architects must all be a bunch of masochists.

Probably why I can't wait to start my 'prison sentence'.
Hohoho.
Reply 21
Are you serious - lol :biggrin:

Why do 7 years if you just want to "do up" houses ... don’t get me wrong - you can really go to town with a redesign I imagine but I thought property development would be abit low-key in many respects. Perhaps I have missed something whilst helping my parents with their property developing or indeed my first home Sarah Beeny has had a great career but she isn’t an architect. Sculptures the way forward lol

Also plundering Brass and Copper will probably get you further than this current property market. ;pirate2;
Reply 22
ah yes, but things will change, the markets hardly stuck forever ; it's flat at the moment, hopefully it'll crash so I can hop on and get my foot on the ladder. lol.

Only joking - I think they'll always be a need for houses, and if you can provide that need through good, solid, architecturally sensitive solutions; then that's surely better than just allowing Barrat Homes to destroy the countryside without any decent competition. The market isn't rising at the rate it was mind.

Sculpture.. theres enough skinny jean wearing pretentious arty dobbers around, carrying stupid sculptures, with there topman clobber. That's half the problem its kind of cool now to be an arty farty.

- they are the true property experts.
Reply 23
Very true … and yes there will always be a need for houses – a cleaver use of old structures in brown field locations should, will be and is part of the way forward and it dose require some cleaver thinking and redesign to make great architecture within a tiered site, as undoubtedly you spend a lot of your degree pondering.

And yes there seems to be a lot of pretentious arty dobbers around (not that I know what a dobber is :confused: ) but who am I to judge – form and sculpture is what I’m all about at the mo … lol

People calling themselves an artist, when all they are is slightly talented, really windes me up … but that’s a whole other rant, :rolleyes:
Reply 24
lol.. please .. we have time to read rants.. interesting threads are always rant-based.

I'm off on the sauce.. i think this is a wise move 6 days before my degree hand in !? lol. Its either that or die of some kind of stress related illness lol.
Blue_Beard
Are you serious - lol :biggrin:

Why do 7 years if you just want to "do up" houses ... don’t get me wrong - you can really go to town with a redesign I imagine but I thought property development would be abit low-key in many respects. Perhaps I have missed something whilst helping my parents with their property developing or indeed my first home Sarah Beeny has had a great career but she isn’t an architect. Sculptures the way forward lol

Also plundering Brass and Copper will probably get you further than this current property market. ;pirate2;

Who do you think designed those houses on your road?
an architect...
that is everyday architecture!

My dream building would be to design a secondary school lol.
Reply 26
yeahyeahyeahs
Who do you think designed those houses on your road?
an architect...
that is everyday architecture!

My dream building would be to design a secondary school lol.

what about those builders who pretend they are architects? I don't think mr. barrat home designer should be able to claim the title. Apparrently on one barrat estate they forgot to put in loft hatches!! so the lofts were completely sealed.

anyways... best get back to churning out work....
ArchiBoi
what about those builders who pretend they are architects? I don't think mr. barrat home designer should be able to claim the title. Apparrently on one barrat estate they forgot to put in loft hatches!! so the lofts were completely sealed.

anyways... best get back to churning out work....

you mean barratt homes?

Those homes are designed by architects... i know because I actually worked on two mastersplans for them.
Reply 28
lol what was it like? you got any images? I'm intrigued.
yeahyeahyeahs
you mean barratt homes?

Those homes are designed by architects... i know because I actually worked on two mastersplans for them.

very few homes designed by mass housing providers - e.g. wimpey, barratt, etc - are designed by architects these days - its just a pattern book that is rolled out nationally. i suppose you could argue that the original pattern was designed by an architect, but its replication at any site across the UK hardly deserves a mention of it being architecturally designed. it would be like saying that you had the world's leading engineers working on your house purely because you had a Universal Beam in there (which have been refined over years and years by engineers to come up with the best profiles).

most speculative home builders try to avoid architectural involvement if they can, for the simple reason that more design = more cost
jrhartley
very few homes designed by mass housing providers - e.g. wimpey, barratt,

Those are really really bad for my blood pressure.
Whenever I see them, I get urges to blow them up.
UUUUURGH.
Stupid ugly mass-produced pastiche boxes. :mad:

*breathes*
jrhartley
very few homes designed by mass housing providers - e.g. wimpey, barratt, etc - are designed by architects these days - its just a pattern book that is rolled out nationally. i suppose you could argue that the original pattern was designed by an architect, but its replication at any site across the UK hardly deserves a mention of it being architecturally designed. it would be like saying that you had the world's leading engineers working on your house purely because you had a Universal Beam in there (which have been refined over years and years by engineers to come up with the best profiles).

most speculative home builders try to avoid architectural involvement if they can, for the simple reason that more design = more cost

huh. What are you on about?

I was just stating Architects design everyday houses regardless of whether its a generic house patten. Its still a Architect's job.
ArchiBoi
lol what was it like? you got any images? I'm intrigued.

The pdf is 113MB. I send it over on msn.
Reply 33
yeahyeahyeahs

I was just stating Architects design everyday houses regardless of whether its a generic house patten. Its still a Architect's job.

lol I guess, but that depends on what you class an architect as.. doesn't this void the social responsibility.. It's a job and it's still Architecture, even if it isn't integral. I always find myself staring at these schemes whenever I'm on a train line; buildings like Villa Savoye are analysed to death on K100 and, modernist theory is all well and good. I can't help but think we should be analysing from the architecture which the most dominant/popular. cured cancer.

yeahyeahyeahs
The pdf is 113MB. I send it over on msn

Cheers. I'll be on after my crits over lol. I'm in hell right now. I can barely string a sentence together.. 2 hrs sleepp lol
yeahyeahyeahs

what i'm on about is the different between 'building' and 'architecture' read some pevsner. rolling out a pattern book of standard designs across the uk, for 10,000 homes which has been designed as a template of one building in london without visiting the site, is not, to my mind, architecture. everyone's entitled ot their own opinions, but the majority of people would agree that barratt, wimpey, etc do not really use architects, they use architectural technicians and contractors to roll out plans drafted by someone who may or may not work for that company (i.e. they buy an 'off-the-peg' solution).

architects don't design noddy houses - that's what i'm on about.
jrhartley
what i'm on about is the different between 'building' and 'architecture' read some pevsner. rolling out a pattern book of standard designs across the uk, for 10,000 homes which has been designed as a template of one building in london without visiting the site, is not, to my mind, architecture. everyone's entitled ot their own opinions, but the majority of people would agree that barratt, wimpey, etc do not really use architects, they use architectural technicians and contractors to roll out plans drafted by someone who may or may not work for that company (i.e. they buy an 'off-the-peg' solution).

architects don't design noddy houses - that's what i'm on about.

Its may not be my idea of real architecture either, but IT IS architecture.

you can laugh at it now but i bet you majority of us will end up being
employed in a firms doing noddy houses and flats. Thats the true reality, not all of us are going to make it as the next richard rogers or khan.

I can assure you that Architects along with urban designers, landscape architects are hired to design homes for Barratt and wimpey. I'm sure if they heard your statement they would be offended!
ArchiBoi
lol I guess, but that depends on what you class an architect as.. doesn't this void the social responsibility.. It's a job and it's still Architecture, even if it isn't integral. I always find myself staring at these schemes whenever I'm on a train line; buildings like Villa Savoye are analysed to death on K100 and, modernist theory is all well and good. I can't help but think we should be analysing from the architecture which the most dominant/popular. cured cancer.

Cheers. I'll be on after my crits over lol. I'm in hell right now. I can barely string a sentence together.. 2 hrs sleepp lol

I'll stick in on the file sharing thing. :smile:
yeahyeahyeahs
Its may not be my idea of real architecture either, but IT IS architecture.

as i said, i'd urge you to read some pevsner. it is building, it is not architecture. there is an important difference.
Reply 38
i'd rather work in tesco than work on noddy houses.

i agree with the pevsner comment, his literature is actually quite a good read (a rare thing i've found when i've looked at other theorists)

"a bicycle shed is a building; Lincoln Cathedral is a piece of architecture. Nearly everything that encloses space on a scale sufficient for a human being to move in is a building. The term architecture applies only to buildings designed with a view to aesthetic appeal"
just to help stress levels, my computer has crashed / completely seized up three times this afternoon alone under the pressure of graphics files.... and its a macbook pro.... i thought 'macs just work' and 'macs never crash' - yeah, i got suckered and bought that line. hey ho - word to prospective students - make sure you've got heaps of HDD available on USB and you end up using gigs and gigs for each project as you save various versions of files at various stages of refinement....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending