The Student Room Group

Architecture Stress Thread

Scroll to see replies

exams, essays, assignments and portfolio reviews. i am stressed.
Exam this morning, which was fun, my calculate decided to give me all the answers as fractions, i should of baught a cheap 80p one instead of a scientific one. Which meant all the heat loss tables and stuff i needed to fill out i had to do in my head. Funfun.

Theory exam tomorrow more funfun, the portfiolio exam in 2 weeks. But after the portfolio exam i have a week off, finally :smile:
I love my calculator... Never had any trouble with it.

Just be glad that you could work them out in your head... Those lines are awful confusing...
I don't know if I could work them out in my head lol. Im expecting to fail the exam. I thaught of today as a mock exam for the real exams, or, the re-sits
Hmm my exam went okay actually. There was a question about light in architecture, i just couldn't think of anything apart from Kahn for some reason, so then proceeded to waffle about Ando for two pages. And forgot about Utzon. Doh. Oh well. Time to draw up my design project idea.
I just came to a conclusion that studying architecture will show how many flaws you have as a person.

In my case its being too indecisive, creative and poor time management. It wouldn't suprise me if I failed first semester :frown:
i'm almost certain i'm going to fail my first semester... or come out with such a crap mark that i'll have wished i'd failed instead. my time management is disraceful lol oh dear.
Shockingly enough I've had two Bs so far. I was expecting C and below. Architecture, especially design, is odd. I never get what they mark on.
I think I just failed technical studies. :frown:

I'm not even sure that I got beyond 30%. It even wasn't hard, its just that i concentrated on my design module so much, i forgot about the other modules and didn't produce enough work in my coursework.

Does anyone know if I will get kicked off the course?
yeahyeahyeahs
I think I just failed technical studies. :frown:

I'm not even sure that I got beyond 30%. It even wasn't hard, its just that i concentrated on my design module so much, i forgot about the other modules and didn't produce enough work in my coursework.

Does anyone know if I will get kicked off the course?

for a non-design module you'll most likely have to resit in the summer. for design, if you fail, you can redo the year. normally for year 1, there are no implications, but redoing the year can cap the maximum grade you are allowed to get for design at some universities (otherwise some people would do it again to get better and better marks until they had a first)
I think I'm on a verge of a massive breakdown. I got told today that 35% of our class failed the design module, roughly 40/120 students in our year. I get my results on Monday, till then I'm stressing because apparently if you get below 30% at my university, you have to retake the year.

I did complete the profolio requirements but it was on a low standard. I'm really worried. :frown:
Pfft, we have to get 40% to pass the year :p:

We have a portfolio exam on tuesday, i was worried about it but then my tutor said i dont need to do much work really as i passed all the projects, just add little bits here and there. Which leaves me free to go to bed this afternoon!
I know 40% is a pass, but I'm not even sure I even got that.
I could be stressing over nothing and I have actually passed, but I still think everything I produce is just CRAP.
Everytime I look at my portfolilo, I just think "wtf is that?!" and the more I look at it, the more crap it is.

Turns out another 40 students failed another module, this time in workshop skills. they have yet to mention who those students are but they said they will have to retake the whole module next year. :frown:

How many design projects did you guys get anyways? I think our design module has the most design projects. I heard students at plymouth are just set with one brief. at my uni, we got given 6 different design projects and they were so different from one another.
yeahyeahyeahs

How many design projects did you guys get anyways? I think our design module has the most design projects. I heard students at plymouth are just set with one brief. at my uni, we got given 6 different design projects and they were so different from one another.

We had 5, and another one over the Christmas holidays that was technically part of a non-design module but still part of our portfolio.

My portfolio review went shockingly well (even though I had a scary tutor), and they asked how I felt it was going and I went off on a rant how I was frustrated with myself for x and y reasons, and then one woman was like ".... right. Well. You're actually a borderline A." I was like ":eek:".
Ice had 4 projects, one was a drawing project, one was a day project at a sculpture park, and the other two where designing spaces rather then buildings, start on buildings end of jan. Plus 2 exams and a History assienment.

Today i finished my portfolio, I have to hand it in tomorrow and have a review with a couple of the tutors on Friday. But, i have no work to do, nothing, until the 27th. Its reading week next week, i think they might spring a project on us tomorrow though, but its my birthday week, I have plans, I've not stopped since sept so I want some time off.

That said ive been done since 6 and I am pretty bored already. I think im going to go have to buy an xbox game.
wow - so you might have from the 6 to 27 jan off...? that would be totally unheard of at cardiff - the only time you get off is in the summer. quite surprised they are so lenient, really.
Well its reading week and our tutor said we will be doing reading that week, but yeah we pretty much have it off. Which will be nice because Ive been working on stuff literally every day since sept, well a had crimbo and the likes off for a couple of days.

Im expecting them to turn around tomorrow and give us a massive project to do in the week, it wouldn't surprise me.
the concept of reading weeks always makes me smile. i always thought that was sort of expected of all students at university, concurrent with their other work ;-). always find it incredible how english students get reading weeks - its what they DO - it would be like giving us a CAD week off...
God I'd love a reading week, I've not had a chance to read the main course texts of last term yet o_O.
Haha, yeah i want a drawing week, a cad week, a model making week, a getting slated of tutors week.

You know, stuff that happens all the time anyway :yep:

I have a feeling that all we have to do next week is preliminary research into our next project. Which is making a pod (or caravan without wheels as i like to think of it) for a street performer who travels the country. Hmm.

Quick Reply

Latest