The Student Room Group

Refs per paragraph

In a 4,000 word essay where i am writing around 200 words per paragraph - its one reference per paragraph enough?

its just the essay is so long that i am only covering one thing per paragraph so there is only one reference unless i lie.....which i've done before but its more effort than its worth. If i source more than 1 ref per paragraph i've worked out thats going to be about 40 bloody references i'll have to route through!!

this is for a counselling degree which is similiar to psychology just a bit woolier i guess....
Reply 1
40 refs?!? *drool*

Then again, you have a fairly large word count! The last essay I did was 2000 words and it had 26 refs. But I went a little crazy with the research I put into it! Still havn't got it marked yet :frown: And the first essay (2000 words again) I ever did only had 5 refs!

Either way, just reference what you feel is appropriate to your work. An essay with too many references is hard to read, for me anyway.
Reply 2
I usually have 2-4 references per paragraph, but quite large paragraphs.
So 40 sounds quite a lot, but if you feel it references your work well and is appropriate - good stuff :biggrin: There's no real "right" number like Rob said.
I try to aim for at least one per paragraph. But if you're making more points then you should reference where the information came from (this is my greatest failing at times). If you're are literally covering one thing per paragraph and you are referencing everything with your one reference then it should be fine.

If you're really worried talk to your tutor/supervisor about it with examples.

Latest

Trending

Trending