The Student Room Group

opnions on Leeds and sussex

hi there,
i would like some advice on choosing a university that i might go to in october. here is the situation:
basically i am a medical applicant and i have been rejected from 3 medical schools; leaving me with 2 of my backups. i aim to reapply to study medicine after finishing these degrees.
kay i hold 2 offers at the moment; sussex - neuroscience (ABB); leeds - pharmacology (BBB)
the logical thing to choose is leeds, since it is academically better and pharmacology is more related to medicine; however, sussex university said to me that i can cut across to 2nd year medicine after my 1st year neuroscience IF I DO WELL, so i am a little bit stuck on choosing a university, leeds or sussex?
any opnions are welcomed :smile:
thanks!
billy
Reply 1
Ok, I think things were a little bit tougher when sussex said that to you, so in the long term the best thing for you in my opinion is to choose leeds, as tbh sussex haven't guaranteed that you will get into the 2nd year of medicine***, you should try and think what you want to do in the long term.

I think tho that you really need to decide what you degree you want to do based on what you like better, as you could do a degree, that's good for medicine and not get a 2:1 because you didn't like it.

*** BUT if they can truly guarantee it, then go for it! Do just a little bit more research on it, find out how it works would you still have to do an interview, if you are up against others in different courses etc...

Hope everything goes well, and good luck in the exams!
Reply 2
Leeds isn't academically 'better'.
really? but leeds is in the russell group whearas sussex isnt
Reply 4
billykwok
really? but leeds is in the russell group whearas sussex isnt

That means it's bigger, not better.
Tomber
That means it's bigger, not better.

The russell group consist of 20 major research-intensive universities of the United Kingdom, http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/ ; it has nothing to do with size of the university; it is to do with the amount of funding they recieve for research; but russell group universities do tend to be larger than the 1994 group ones

obviously the more grant the university recieve the better the university can expand, and the better equipment and staff the university can employ; hence "better" academically
Reply 6
i'm a final year doing pharmacology at leeds and its been a great course with fantastic teachers and research facilities however, i've heard that the medicine course at leeds doesn't like taking leeds biomedical graduates so if you want to swap chances are you may not get to do med at leeds
What's wrong with Leeds academically? I'm going to study Pharmacology there this September but tbh i'm not sure if it will be my cup of tea cause i originally wanted to do Pharmacy but i was a bit silly and didn't do a chemistry A-level :P Anywho when i went to visit last year, this one girl was going to transfer to Medicine, straight after her first year in Bsc Pharmacology...what helped her get onto Medicine was obviously her good grades but also the fact that she did a placement in the local hospital, on the children's ward i think? So basically if you do choose Leeds and study Pharmacology...make lots of effort and go that extra mile to prove you are worthy of a place on Medicine. Another girl was also transferring onto Pharmacy from Pharmacology as she realised she would like to end up prescribing drugs in her career i think. So...it is possible.
Reply 8
billykwok
hi there,
i would like some advice on choosing a university that i might go to in october. here is the situation:
basically i am a medical applicant and i have been rejected from 3 medical schools; leaving me with 2 of my backups. i aim to reapply to study medicine after finishing these degrees.
kay i hold 2 offers at the moment; sussex - neuroscience (ABB); leeds - pharmacology (BBB)
the logical thing to choose is leeds, since it is academically better and pharmacology is more related to medicine; however, sussex university said to me that i can cut across to 2nd year medicine after my 1st year neuroscience IF I DO WELL, so i am a little bit stuck on choosing a university, leeds or sussex?
any opnions are welcomed :smile:
thanks!
billy

What does 'If you do well' mean?

100% on every exam?
Reply 9
No R22S12, i doubt it very much.. A 70/75% average across exams maybe?
To move to a new university, new degree and achieve that average from the start shows adaptability, and that you would be able to cope with the demands of medicine.

Btw billykwok, you said you have been rejected from 3 med schools, did you not apply for a fourth?
2klthor
No R22S12, i doubt it very much.. A 70/75% average across exams maybe?
To move to a new university, new degree and achieve that average from the start shows adaptability, and that you would be able to cope with the demands of medicine.

Btw billykwok, you said you have been rejected from 3 med schools, did you not apply for a fourth?

no i only applied to three medical schools; which was fairly stupid of me should have applied to a fourth one

Latest