The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester University in the league tables....

For thos people who care about the league tables and such i just recieved this email from Leicester :smile:

'
University of Leicester Newsflash

University ranked top in East Midlands and 12th in UK

As someone who has applied to the University of Leicester this year, I am sure the results of the 2008 Good University Guide, published yesterday, will be of interest to you. In it, the University of Leicester has claimed its place as the top ranked university in the East Midlands, reaching its highest ever ranking.

Leicester is ranked 12th out of 113 universities rising eight places from last year. This has moved the University ahead of the universities of Aston, Royal Holloway, Edinburgh, Exeter, Bristol, Nottingham, King’s College London, Bath and Loughborough.

Compiler of the table Dr Bernard Kingston said this year’s table “consolidate[d] the position of Oxbridge, St Andrews, Leicester, Loughborough and Exeter as first class universities.”

Vice-Chancellor Professor Robert Burgess said: “This achievement gives us great cause for celebration in our 50th Anniversary year and is a clear demonstration of the fact that Leicester is a high quality university that is really going places.”

'

Seems good to me :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
very reassuring since im going there in september
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
what are you gonna be studying milly?
Universities care a lot about league tables. So, to some extent, so should we... though only on what those league tables say.

To all the league table haters... find a better university.
Reply 4
Media, what about you?

Edit: It's got rid of my first post. I only wanted to edit it!!!
Reply 5
im doing yucky biological sciences

technology eh? :smile:
Shhhhh
Don't tell everyone about it :biggrin:
I want to go there haha ...less competition the better :wink:
Reply 7
No offence Leicester students, but I think it's such garbage that Bristol, King's, Bath, Notts and Edinbugh were rated below Leicester. The Independent's guide this year was a bit...skewed, shall we say!
Reply 8
none taken im just glad we beat 'em :smile:
It's wonderful that you're all so happy about it, but, really, I'd take the fact that Leicester have actually sent out an e-mail about it rather negatively.
maybe they're just proud?
Reply 11
Shaksi
No offence Leicester students, but I think it's such garbage that Bristol, King's, Bath, Notts and Edinbugh were rated below Leicester. The Independent's guide this year was a bit...skewed, shall we say!

Why? Have you been to each of those universites and experienced each of the criteria that is used to calculate these league tables? Whilst I agree that league tables are to be taken with a pinch of salt, the creators don't just think "right, we'll have Oxford first, Cambridge second, let's toss a coin for third...". Sometimes you just have to accept that the preconceptions you have about certain universities are not set in stone and, when judging by a particular criteria, the results can be somewhat unexpected. But they are the results.

Awaits the neg...
Prince Myshkin
It's wonderful that you're all so happy about it, but, really, I'd take the fact that Leicester have actually sent out an e-mail about it rather negatively.

It's an achievement; of course they're going to want to let people know about it. :p:
Reply 13
milly.
Why? Have you been to each of those universites and experienced each of the criteria that is used to calculate these league tables? Whilst I agree that league tables are to be taken with a pinch of salt, the creators don't just think "right, we'll have Oxford first, Cambridge second, let's toss a coin for third...". Sometimes you just have to accept that the preconceptions you have about certain universities are not set in stone and, when judging by a particular criteria, the results can be somewhat unexpected. But they are the results.

Awaits the neg...

I'm not going to neg you :s-smilie: You're very welcome to your own views.
Reply 14
ben_d
For thos people who care about the league tables and such i just recieved this email from Leicester :smile:

'
University of Leicester Newsflash

University ranked top in East Midlands and 12th in UK

As someone who has applied to the University of Leicester this year, I am sure the results of the 2008 Good University Guide, published yesterday, will be of interest to you. In it, the University of Leicester has claimed its place as the top ranked university in the East Midlands, reaching its highest ever ranking.

Leicester is ranked 12th out of 113 universities rising eight places from last year. This has moved the University ahead of the universities of Aston, Royal Holloway, Edinburgh, Exeter, Bristol, Nottingham, King’s College London, Bath and Loughborough.

Compiler of the table Dr Bernard Kingston said this year’s table “consolidate[d] the position of Oxbridge, St Andrews, Leicester, Loughborough and Exeter as first class universities.”

Vice-Chancellor Professor Robert Burgess said: “This achievement gives us great cause for celebration in our 50th Anniversary year and is a clear demonstration of the fact that Leicester is a high quality university that is really going places.”

'

Seems good to me :P

I want my email :frown:

Leicester have really impressed me, when I applied they were a space filler, but now through a positive vist and probably something to do with the endless torrents of mail they send me ;they have foreced themseleves into insurance choice. I wouldn't be sad not to get my first choice grades.

Well done Leicester !! Although the league tables are a bit iffy it is still an achievement.
Reply 15
Prince Myshkin

They email me about everything, its really impressive considering im not a student, i will be starting in september but they have been really good with regards to contact even before i accepted the offer
Any one have a link atall?
Im being surprisingly dumb atm and cant seem to find one.
league tables are **** but leicester is a cracking uni, so best of luck to you all,

boosh (exeter student)
Reply 18
Shaksi

Your AS levels have sure given you a great perspective for judging universities from.
Shaksi

prove it.

Latest

Trending

Trending