The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Cessie
Are you me?! :p:

I generally like modern history best.

20thC America, particularly anticommunism/mccarthyism, 60s liberalism, Cold War, nixon and watergate
Ireland
labour history
Wars, especially independence struggles, nationalist struggles etc
Russia

I always seem to avoid anything to do with gender. And anything Medieval or Early Modern :P There are some exceptions though.......I've done lots of early modern this year and found the Aztecs, the Dutch Republic , the Catholic Reformation and the English Civil War quite interesting for example. Ultimately, though, I'd rather study modern history.

lol. Have you read a book called The Cold War by John Lewis Gaddis? It takes some of those key topics you mentioned.

I really like the way he highlights how smaller countries actually had a massive effect on the superpowers, and there were many cold wars fought by proxy.

I would recommend it highly. Oh dear I'm rambling.
Reply 81
I've read bits of Gaddis' book a few times yes, I don't think I've read it in its entirity though. I did a course this year on 'Reform, Revolt and Reaction in the US from the New Deal to Nixon' which was basically a third of the entire years work.
Reply 82
At A-level, I loved Russian History the most with the OCR course (1855-1956). I liked Luther and the reformation as well, and religious non-conformity in general- wasn't so keen on Elizabeth I though. I tend to enjoy modern History or Religious History really, I don't love "the Stuarts" or the "Tudors" as such , more individuals who fight the system! :biggrin:
Early Modern History and social History especially Gender history, and the history of immigration. :smile:
dictatorships is my fav
interesting people i like to look at their childhood ect
I most like WW2 & The Tudors.
German Unification, specifically the role of the pragmatic and planned actions of Otto von Bismarck.
Mussolini and Fascist Italy 1918-39...that guy is just sooo entertaining:biggrin:
Reply 88
British Military History, particually:
Napoleonic Wars
Development of the British Military (particually the Army) from 1900-today.

WW1
WW2
Ancient Roman Military History (particually after the Marius reforms to about the end of Augustus' reign).

I also like Mythology - Atlantis, Bible secrets etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending