The Student Room Group
Your chances of getting an offer for uni are better if you don't apply for deferred entry (as in, if you intend to go to uni in the year you apply). A lot of people wanting to take a gap year do it this way. Just mentioning in your personal statement why you've taken a year out should be enough.. I don't think many/any unis are going to be concerned about it. They only time they might ask a few more questions would be if you had taken a few years out. Just to be sure that you would still be able to work at A level (or whatever qualification) standard.

But I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. It's not at all an uncommon path to take. :smile:
Reply 2
^ What he said.

If anything, the uni will like the fact you're applying with actual grades, as opposed to predicted ones. But it probably will make no difference. Don't worry about it.
Reply 3
Check signiture, I applied post results too. I think it helps, because if you then have the required grades for the course, they are unlikely to reject you. Your a safer bet for them
Reply 4
Ewan
Check signiture, I applied post results too. I think it helps, because if you then have the required grades for the course, they are unlikely to reject you. Your a safer bet for them

That's exactly the course I want to do. And I'm doing similar subjects except chemistry instead of geog.

Thanks for the help all :smile:
Reply 5
^ ditto to all the above! :p:
I applied post A-Level and still got offers from 3 great universities! Universities like that you will be applying with grades achieved rather than grades predicted. Just make sure to mention in your personal statement why you're taking a gap year and what you plan to spend the time doing. :wink: Good luck!

(Plus, its awesome when Track says "unconditional"!! :biggrin: )
Reply 6
chickadie
That's exactly the course I want to do. And I'm doing similar subjects except chemistry instead of geog.

Thanks for the help all :smile:

You doing further maths? If you get an A in maths & Further Maths, the rest doesnt matter _too_ much imo
Reply 7
Ewan
You doing further maths? If you get an A in maths & Further Maths, the rest doesnt matter _too_ much imo

Yeah.. Got the A in maths, just waiting for f.maths now. Alright, but chem's only to AS so I'll only have 3 A levels and 2 AS's (Did french AS too)
Reply 8
Meh, I got into all but one of my unis with applying for deferred entry. Don't think it makes too much difference, but applying after your results won't effect you negatively as long as you explain clearly why you've taken a year out and what you intend to do during it.

Latest