The Student Room Group

Desperately need advice on where to go!

Hi, the problem is i'm in a real dilemma here between two universities for pharmacy.
One is Bradford University and the other is Huddersfield University.
The thing is, i dont know which university i should put as my firm choice.
Bradford university have been doing pharmacy for quite a lot of years and the teaching will obviously be at a good standard, however Huddersfield is closer to where i live, about 10 minutes away whereas if i choose bradford i'm going to have to get there and back for the next 5 years of my life on the bus or either in a car and will probably take me 30 mins to 1 hour to get there. I've also heard that the head of pharmacy at huddersfield university and some of the lecturures are from bradford university anyway, and so i dont know what to do!
The thing is i really wanna stay local but the travelling for the next five years is gonna pose a problem!

Any advice or help regarding this is much appreciated and thanks!
Reply 1
i would go for Bradford cos its got a better rep. to be honest traveling for an 1 hr isn't far, i travel around 1hr15mins to get to college right now anyway and its gonna be the same distance for me to travel to LSOP.
If i was in your position, i'd go to Bradford. I wouldn't want to go somewhere near to home because that'd, quite frankly, be a bore. Uni's about studying somewhere new and different to your norm. Also, Bradford's rep is better and they do that really cool sounding practice integrated program with a year abroad, like LSOP as i remember
Reply 3
Bradford: It does a split prereg year which means you get 6 months in hospital and 6 months in community. I wish every school of pharmacy did that!
Isn't it compulsory to do 6 months in hospital if you chose 6 months in community anyway?

Plus I don’t think the prereg year is entirely the making of the uni, it’s really down to the student to orchestrate.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Reply 5
TigerSwift
Bradford: It does a split prereg year which means you get 6 months in hospital and 6 months in community. I wish every school of pharmacy did that!

you can do a split prereg at any uni
Reply 6
Orange Green 'n' Gold: No, a six month split is no longer compulsory as hospital sector could not handle the output from Schools of Pharmacy, especially with all the new schools. RPSGB council decided to do away with the compulsory 6 months in each. Indeed the prereg year is not the making of a uni, yet the choices were between Huddersfield and Bradford, so i chose Bradford for that reason.

Rosemkate: True, you can split your prereg at any uni, you can even split it into other sectors such as industry or accademia. However, to do this you have to organise everything yourself and it might not be a 50:50 split as it is at Bradford. This therefore requires you to find two places allowing you do a split placement, getting them to accept you as prereg, set dates for each sector, etc etc... not an easy task i am assured.

edit: Unless you go mainly into industry, where you do virtually a 50:50 split. Though most industrial companies will organise the other half for you and with certain companies you don't even get a choice if you hospital or community - never mind which site its at. This is because RPSGB states at least 6 months needs to be done in hospital or community, to cover the relevant competencies.
TigerSwift
Orange Green 'n' Gold: No, a six month split is no longer compulsory as hospital sector could not handle the output from Schools of Pharmacy, especially with all the new schools. RPSGB council decided to do away with the compulsory 6 months in each.

No longer compulsory? When was it? I know pharmacists in their 40s who just did 12 months in one sector ...
Reply 8
Was a few years ago i am sure, i will find out from some pharmacists who have not been qualified that long. I thought it used to be compulsory to do so many weeks in the other sector, think its three but i am not sure - will find out.

Dunno why i mentioned 6 months in each in the above text for, must have been having a mind lapse as its currently compulsory to do at least 6 months in either community or hospital, think i put that up there...

some info on the prereg year: http://www.rpsgb.org/pdfs/preregbullthirdyr07.pdf
TigerSwift
Was a few years ago i am sure, i will find out from some pharmacists who have not been qualified that long. I thought it used to be compulsory to do so many weeks in the other sector, think its three but i am not sure - will find out.

Dunno why i mentioned 6 months in each in the above text for, must have been having a mind lapse as its currently compulsory to do at least 6 months in either community or hospital, think i put that up there...

Yeah it's 2 weeks minimum in the alternative sector if you're in hopsital or community, not 6 months lol and that's not even compulsory now if your tutor can justify you've been able to meet all the performance standards without doing a cross sector placement (as far as I know Boots, Lloyds and Tescos don't send their pre-regs to hospital anymore).
Yeah, think it was in another thread i mentioned that prereg's don't get sent to hospital by Boots Alliance or Lloyds, they get some random training day. Or in the case of my friend it was only an afternoon! To be honest i think there should be some form of compulsory cross sector but logistics seem to get in the way, but i don't think people have looked at it properly... but that's my opinion because i want to do a cross sector placement without the hassle of setting one up myself, haha.
Well if you do a hospital pre-reg you'll have to a community cross sector to get some of the standards covered.

Some people express the opinion that the larger companies don't do it cause they lose a trained member of staff for 2 weeks and gain an untrained person.
Yeah, which really isn't fair on the preregistration student though... damn those big companies! Damn them all :tongue:
Well I guess it depends what you want to do. If you did it with an independent then you'd more than likely get to go to hospital. All the cross sector pre-regs we have this year are from independents.
Yeah, was planning on going to an independent for some of my prereg year. I want to do the major part in hospital, though i also want to look at doing some academia - either in this country or an EU state for 3 months. Got a research project at LJMU this summer as i am really interested in academia... but i don't want to close all my other options. Anyway, we'll see when i get there, haha.. if i get there!

Latest

Trending

Trending