The Student Room Group

Starting to get frustrated. . . .

I am desperate to leave the place where I am currently working as I hate it with great passion and find it such a drag. I went for an interview on Monday and have heard nothing, so I presume I have been unsuccessful.

Last year I spent almost the entire year trying to get a job and I didn't have much luck until I was shoved into the job by my mum, which I hate - to the point where cry the night before - tht is how much I hate it.

To now try and find something else im finding it sooo hard. I have sent my CV out to loads of employers and have heard absolutely nothing. All my friends manage to get jobs sooo easily but i cant seem to get one:confused: :frown: Im beginning to think something is wrong with me. . . . .

Anyone else find it hard to get a job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What job you doing now? Give it to me :biggrin:
Reply 2
yes i am exactly like you. the only place that would consider employing me was sportsworld. honestly that company will take anyone. i tried for months and months, handing in CVs and applications everywhere. Probably over 100, but only 3 have called me back, and been unsuccessful. Just keep trying and eventually you will find something better.
Reply 3
if you don't like your job then just quit doing it because you can't be forced into doing something you don't like, not even by your mum. my advice with new jobs is look in the jobs section in your local paper and try and find something you like, otherwise just be patient and keep trying and im sure you will get something down the line. good luck!:wink:
CV blanketing isnt the best way to get a job, its better to talk to the relevant manager face to face because you are normally just giving your CV to an assistant who will pass it on later that day and wont care whether u get a job or not. If you give the place you want to work a call and talk to someone who deals with recruitment, I did this this repeatedly until I started to get interviews.
I've been in that situation a few times. Are you just handing your CV out or are you also looking in local papers/on websites etc for vanacies?
The only thing you can do is keep trying, and you will find something eventually.
i agree with davireland... ring the emplyers / recruiters and ask if their are any positions available but make sure you specify why you are choosing that company not just 'i need a job', they want to hear from someone who is eager to work for them for reasons other than to pay the rent.

My boyfriend hires staff for a bar and he said you HAVE to lie in your cv, expecially if you don't have much experience. Maybe go to your local job centre and get some advice on how to write a cv that will get you noticed. Draft one, get someone to read throught it.. i ddnt know this but in the 'INTERESTS' bit, i always put relaxing, hanging out with friends etc... which my boyfriend said NEVER to put because it basically says 'I'm lazy and have no will to do anything productive'... yuo really have to read between the lines so work on the way you are wording things. Always write a cover letter and specify it to the job you are applying for, show that yu know something abuot the company... which is easy if you jsut go on their website and have a read through ther aims and such like....

job hunting is so damn stressful! i really feel for you but good luck and i hope you find something soon!
Everyone gets in that situation at least once in their life, have you tried the jobcentre plus website? I know there's a stigma with jobcentres but I've found it really useful to see what jobs there are going . You can also search for fulltime or part time jobs, specify how near they need to be from you. I really think it would be helpful for you to take a lok, and it's updated daily so keep looking!
I've gave in 17 CVs only to places that were advertising vacancies and I've heard nothing :frown:

It's totally demoralising, because I really need the money for uni :frown:

Just keep trying I suppose :frown:
did u follow up the cv's with a phone call?
Ok, I handed out my CV's to places which I feel are interesting and would enable me to learn new skills all the time. Im now constructing letters to hand out to employers, to see how far that will get me. Also annoyes me that my Uni friends, get jobs just like that! :frown: I also search the local paper and job centre website every other day and look in windows and ask friends. So its not like im just relying on the CV's alone, i am actively seeking everyday basically.

I'm currently working at Asda and i know a lot of students do it whilst they are at college/uni but I just cant hack it anymore. I try explaining to my mum about it, but she doesnt seem to understand my point of view. I want a job that is varied, where no day is the same, im able to learn new things all the time and not just ''hi would you like help with your packing . . . BEEP BEEP BEEP . . . . .'' (you get the general idea, 6hrs on a Sunday). I refuse to do any overtime for the company as I hate it that much.

I sound very ungrateful considering there are people out there who would like to have my job, but when a job is getting too much to the point where you're actually telling customers how boring it is, I think its time I found something else before I fly off the handle at a customer! Im even sick and tired of hearing my own voice!!
DancinBallerina
but when a job is getting too much to the point where you're actually telling customers how boring it is, I think its time I found something else before I fly off the handle at a customer! Im even sick and tired of hearing my own voice!!

It's money! You can't exactly go skydiving for six hours and expect be paid for it!
Then try and get a promotion, perhaps customer service or supervising.
jonboyyork
It's money! You can't exactly go skydiving for six hours and expect be paid for it!

YES I know its money, however money isn't everything in the world to me personally! I would rather be happy in a job, enjoy it and be given the opportunity to learn something new on a regular basis rather than be stuck at a checkout til saying the same blinkin thing - its why I refuse to do any overtime - because im pig sick of it. Anyway this is kinda off the point from the thread, just asking people if they have the same kinda problem in getting jobs as myself.

davireland
Then try and get a promotion, perhaps customer service or supervising.

Nope, I did think about going onto the George department or doing the home shopping but did home shopping @ Sainsbury's and that got tedious, same routine day in, day out. Basically I just hate supermarkets and want out.
Reply 14
How about pub work? Sometimes it's easier to get a job at a pub or a bar - I just saw that my local needed new staff, walked in off the street and got the job there and then. If you're able to do weekend and evening work, and you're chatty and approachable, pub work really isn't hard and I reckon it's more interesting than retail.

Giving in CVs is fine but it's very easy for the shop to just chuck it on a pile and forget about it. Actually speaking to the manager is much more effective - when I asked my boss why she originally hired me, she told me she got vibes that I was confident, friendly and sweet (all qualities which aren't necessarily evident from a CV) and she knew I'd fit in well. Maybe you need to actually get yourself in front of someone who's making hiring decisions and convince them that you'd be right for the job?
DancinBallerina
Nope, I did think about going onto the George department or doing the home shopping but did home shopping @ Sainsbury's and that got tedious, same routine day in, day out. Basically I just hate supermarkets and want out.

I work at Sainsbury's and I hated checkout so I just asked to work on customer services instead. I makes a big difference cos i hated my job but now usually its fine, i think changing departments or simply jobs within the store really helps.
Aconite
How about pub work? Sometimes it's easier to get a job at a pub or a bar - I just saw that my local needed new staff, walked in off the street and got the job there and then. If you're able to do weekend and evening work, and you're chatty and approachable, pub work really isn't hard and I reckon it's more interesting than retail.

Giving in CVs is fine but it's very easy for the shop to just chuck it on a pile and forget about it. Actually speaking to the manager is much more effective - when I asked my boss why she originally hired me, she told me she got vibes that I was confident, friendly and sweet (all qualities which aren't necessarily evident from a CV) and she knew I'd fit in well. Maybe you need to actually get yourself in front of someone who's making hiring decisions and convince them that you'd be right for the job?

Done pub work and hated it and I was also bullied from the management team so, have vowed never again to go down that road.

davireland
I work at Sainsbury's and I hated checkout so I just asked to work on customer services instead. I makes a big difference cos i hated my job but now usually its fine, i think changing departments or simply jobs within the store really helps.

Meh I might think about it and ask, however I dont have much luck so I doubt very much I'll get into George department.

The member ''vivianwu'' has also sent me this email . . . . . .I really am NOT the niave to fall for this stoopid trick!!!! lol Nice try but find someone else who is a tad stupid,ey?

A part time job for you!

dear Mark,
i am very pleased to receive your letter. as a sale representative, you need to have a ebay account. and we will give you the photos and related description of the products. we also provide you market analysis reports and a series of unique sales plan. you only list the products we provide on ebay.com and answer the questions from the buyers. Once the products are sold out, we will ship them in time and end this business.
for you commission, there are two ways for you to choose. the first, No-cost cooperation, the partner do not need to pay any cost, we pay all fee from Ebay.com. once the products are sold out, we will pay u a standard commission. over 20% of the sale. the second, Cost cooperation, the partner pay all fee from Ebay.com. we provide the products as a wholesale price and shipping service. The partner win the profit from the price difference.
we would ensure you to earn at least $1000 per month, if not, we will pay the rest.
Ok, so I went for an interview a few weeks ago and have heard nothing - do you think it would be a good idea to contact the store and ask what the outcome is??
Yeah, that might be a good idea. It shows you're eager.
Reply 19
Sales assistant jobs are rarely going to be very fulfilling jobs.. I work on checkouts in Sainsbury's and it is repititive and pretty boring but it pays and I try to make the most of it. Just by trying to have a chat to some of the customers, chat to colleagues when it's busy.

In my store we have to pack everything though since it's a central supermarket and it's really busy with smaller amounts of shopping and not much room. I think a big store where most customers like to pack themselves would make me even more bored because packing at least gives me something extra do to and think about what's the best way to pack lol.

You won't need to be there forever. I don't know why it makes you cry before going I can understand why you really dislike it and find it mega boring but what's making you cry.. do you get along with your colleagues? Is there any other problems other than boredom?

You should definitely give a go of trying to switch departments or something so it's not so boring. Easier said than done though.. I'm still stuck on checkouts my whole shifts after 7 and a half months there and have never worked on the floor.

Latest

Trending

Trending