The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Imported
Rote learning is when you memorise the information instead of understanding it.

Eg. Memorising mathematical equations rather then understanding the proofs that get you to that equation.

I would say a better example is memorising separate step by step ways of solving each variation of a problem, rather than understanding the principles behind it, and so being able to solve any problem like it. You can't really expect a person to learn the proof for every single maths equation (although it does make it easier to learn them in some cases).
Reply 21
Imported
But do you need to show how you get to the quadtratic formula or why the sqaure root of 2 is irrational. I think for a lot of subjects there is little indepth understanding required. Even for the essay type A levels- you can read and read, still not understand but be able to get a decent mark on the papers.

You can get away with just a good memory for the most part of A level content imo. The past papers certainly give you a rough idea of where your memory can be applied. I

Yes i agree on proving something won't factorise thus by applying the discriminant equation but other aspects of maths you cant necessarily rely on being straight away substituing numbers into the set equation. Part of many maths problems is actually coming to that step to sub coefficents into the equation....okay it might take one step but its still a step after all.

I agree that with AS, most people learn by memory thus little understanding whilst those that understand it can yet do bad due to little or non exam practise.

Those who do A2's, how is the situation? Do you learn by basically remebering or is their more understanding for A2's compared to AS's
A2 is a whole lot of understanding, especially physics unit 6, there's not much learning there...even biology unit 5 and 6 can be logical, so not that much learning. However, chemistry is all learning and maths is practicing...
I was always rubbish at maths, achieving Es and Us. I couldn't be bothered with papers, but about a month before A2s, I did loads of practice papers. It really helped.
motiv3
Hmmm rote learning for maths i would personally say is not something good because the examiners tend to ask variations of a question thus no set way of tackling them but various methods of coming to a point where you apply a certain formula etc.

However, for subjects such as biology rote learning is more used as frankly, biology at a-lvl is constant streams of facts where no application or understanding is needed thus suggest questions always get me :frown:

tell me about it!:p:
hate them:frown:

Latest