The Student Room Group

A Level Maths: Mechanics or statistics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
C1-4, M1, S1 has to be one of the more common routes for straight maths. It's definitely allowed

Thanks for that! But if I were to choose one of the two, which one would you recommend given what I said previously.
Reply 61
Original post by SalmaSalma
Thanks for that! But if I were to choose one of the two, which one would you recommend given what I said previously.

If I were doing straight maths, I'd choose two of M1, S1, D1 because A-level Further Mathematicians take S2/M2 and no matter how hard the paper is the boundaries are always high (think 65/75 for an A). That being said, S2 is pretty straightforward and as is S1. M1/M2 take a bit of practice to get right
Original post by SalmaSalma
At the moment, I dont really know but it will be a social science.
That im sure of.

What exam board would your Maths A-level be with? :smile:

I don't think it'd make a huge difference in the long run, if you can't pick both S1 and M1 then.. maybe S1 is the way to go if you're not that confident on Physics (unless the Maths element of GCSE Physics was fine and theory was letting you down).
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
If I were doing straight maths, I'd choose two of M1, S1, D1 because A-level Further Mathematicians take S2/M2 and no matter how hard the paper is the boundaries are always high (think 65/75 for an A). That being said, S2 is pretty straightforward and as is S1. M1/M2 take a bit of practice to get right

Thank you
Original post by SeanFM
What exam board would your Maths A-level be with? :smile:

I don't think it'd make a huge difference in the long run, if you can't pick both S1 and M1 then.. maybe S1 is the way to go if you're not that confident on Physics (unless the Maths element of GCSE Physics was fine and theory was letting you down).

Right now im applying for different colleges and sixth forms so exam boards vary
Thank you for the advice though!

Quick Reply

Latest