The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Calculate how many moles of gas occupy 100ml and then use the same number of moles of acid.

Marcus
yeah just work backwards - find how many moles would be in 100ml, which will be the same amount of acid and Mg you need, then just convert them to masses/volumes
Reply 3
thanks!

but doesnt this essentially mean that one mole of acid will produce one mole of hydrogen gas, because i am essentially trying to prove that the acid is dibasic, and so 1 mole of the acid would produce 2 moles of the hydrogen gas.
this reaction gives you a 1 to 1 ratio because hydrogen exists in a dimer, if you want a 2 to 1 ratio use a monoprotic acid like HCl
Reply 5
sorry. that just confused me?

i need to prove that sulphuric acid is disbasic
Reply 6
sonic23
thanks!

but doesnt this essentially mean that one mole of acid will produce one mole of hydrogen gas, because i am essentially trying to prove that the acid is dibasic, and so 1 mole of the acid would produce 2 moles of the hydrogen gas.

No, because hydrogen gas is H2 and one mole of the acid H2SO4 produces one mole of gas.

If you use HCl so your reaction is 2HCl + Mg > MgCl2 + H2, you need two moles of acid to make one mole of gas.

Marcus
Reply 7
sonic23
sorry. that just confused me?

i need to prove that sulphuric acid is disbasic

Do you have to do it by measuring the gas? - the way I would do this is by titration.

-Do a neutralisation titration (using methyl orange or an equivalent as an indicator) of an equal amount (eg: 25ml) of 1M HNO3; 1M HCl and 1M H2SO4 (separately of course), using 1M NaOH.

-Record the volumes of NaOH needed to neutralise each.

-As they are strong acids the monoprotic acids (hydrochloric and nitric) should be within a reasonable margin for error (5%-ish), but roughly the same, showing that they have an equal proportion of H+ ions to be neutralised.

H+ + OH- > H2O

-However the diprotic sulphuric acid should react with twice as much NaOH, showing it has twice as many H+ ions.

2H+ + 2OH- > 2H2O
(^needs twice as many OH ions see)

Marcus
Reply 8
Tahnks but i also need to do a titration.

for the volume of 1M acid to generate 100 ml gas wud tht be roughly 240 dm3
i.e 240 000 ml?
Reply 9
sonic23
Tahnks but i also need to do a titration.

for the volume of 1M acid to generate 100 ml gas wud tht be roughly 240 dm3
i.e 240 000 ml?

LOL - what are you like! 240 litres?

One mole of H2 occupies 22.4 dm3 or 22.4 litres. Or 22400 ml. So 100ml of gas is going to be 0.004 of a mole.

It might be fairly difficult measuring something like 0.004 moles of magnesium, but not 0.004 moles of MgCO3 according to the equation MgCO3 + H2SO4 > MgSO4 + H2O + CO2

LOL again.

Marcus
Reply 10
lol never thought about tht ridiculous figure.

but using 0.004 moles and 1m concentration , and conc.= n of moles / v

i get 4ml of acid to produce 100 ml of gas.

tht cant be ryt neither can it?
sonic23
lol never thought about tht ridiculous figure.

but using 0.004 moles and 1m concentration , and conc.= n of moles / v

i get 4ml of acid to produce 100 ml of gas.

tht cant be ryt neither can it?

No, you use excess acid. Since it will be very difficult for all of the acid to be in contact with your reagent. Once all the reagent is used up, the reaction will stop.

Marcus
Reply 12
oh. but im using excess magneisum to ensure all the ACID reacts since the acid is the reagent in question here ; to prove that it is dibasic.

so if i use both excess magnesium and acid, the syringe would overflow
Reply 13
it says that i must fully react the acids. nevermind, thanks for your help anyway.
Yes, just thinking about it again you are right. But since its a planning exercise, you're not actually doing the experiment.

Marcus
Reply 15
how about increasing the syringe to a bigger size, geting maybe 10 ml, which is about right

?
It may be possible to use 4ml of acid and excess powdered magnesium, although I'm not sure whether or not that would catch fire.

Marcus

Latest