The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
ThisLittlePiggy
This isn't quite true, is it? Maca throws round insults left,right and center. He single handedly brings down the tone with his pathetic ********.

Well I was trying not to point the finger at anyone, that will just worsen things and probably get the thread closed. Which would be a victory for them.
I don't think it matters and it would be better closed. That fellow is here simply to bait and cause trouble.Most of his posts,in these few days, have been around the topic of the old firm and he is clearly obsessed with fighting. Compare the % of our posts on these matters compared with our posting history.

The guy lives and breathes the stuff and yet comes out with inane comments,petty insults and a whole heap of ignorance. Hopefully when this is shut he'll disappear back from where he came.
Reply 522
9 Liverpool's Number
Boohoo, have you heard what those c-units sing about Liverpool every game and with a scouser as their hero no less.

Aye, the hypocrisy is shocking
Reply 523
ThisLittlePiggy
I don't think it matters and it would be better closed. That fellow is here simply to bait and cause trouble.Most of his posts,in these few days, have been around the topic of the old firm and he is clearly obsessed with fighting. Compare the % of our posts on these matters compared with our posting history.

The guy lives and breathes the stuff and yet comes out with inane comments,petty insults and a whole heap of ignorance. Hopefully when this is shut he'll disappear back from where he came.

You still hurting because I outed you as a liar the other day?

Close it if you like because all it is, is a platform for you and your like to post lie after lie about me and my fellow supporters.

I am not here to cause trouble but I will not accept it and nor would you if the roles were reversed.

I could ask why you spend so much time in here when you're a self confessed follower of rugby? :confused:
I had clearly shown myself not be a liar but you continue to make baseless accusations. Yes, I prefer rugby but I also follow Scottish football. I just prefer rugby.Note the key word.
Reply 525
Just out of interest, has anyone met a Catholic Rangers supporter? I try to avoid the whole religion rubbish but my mate told me the other day about how he met this Rangers supporter who was Catholic, and we both agreed that it was weird. Not that he isn't allowed to support who he pleases, just that I dunno how I'd feel sitting in a stand where a good few people are shouting **** The Pope, or wearing scarves with the Orange Order on them or something. I've met loads of Protestant Celtic fans, but then again I can't see how they'd feel uncomfortable.
TOSCS
Just out of interest, has anyone met a Catholic Rangers supporter? I try to avoid the whole religion rubbish but my mate told me the other day about how he met this Rangers supporter who was Catholic, and we both agreed that it was weird. Not that he isn't allowed to support who he pleases, just that I dunno how I'd feel sitting in a stand where a good few people are shouting **** The Pope, or wearing scarves with the Orange Order on them or something. I've met loads of Protestant Celtic fans, but then again I can't see how they'd feel uncomfortable.

There was a survey done on this; there were about twice as many Protestant Celtic supporters as there were Catholic Rangers supporters. Think the figure for the latter, in Glasgow IIRC, was about 5%. Have a Google around, it'll be there somewhere.
sebas_back
There was a survey done on this; there were about twice as many Protestant Celtic supporters as there were Catholic Rangers supporters. Think the figure for the latter, in Glasgow IIRC, was about 5%. Have a Google around, it'll be there somewhere.

I'm a Protestant Celtic fan and went to a non-denom school with plenty others (at least 20 in my year). I know one Catholic rangers fan and one of my (Catholic) mates only had 3 Rangers fans at his entire school. It's anecdotal evidence, but things such as Ranger's anti-Catholic signing policy would obviously play a part in these things.
Reply 528
Regarding the sectarian signing policy of Rangers FC. Do you think this was the fault of the board/management? I don't, the same way I don't think the management at Zenit FC are racist, it's their fans. The management needs to keep the fans happy and in much the same way that the fans would be angry if you splashed out a load on a ***** player, if you signed a player that the fans hated for other reasons (reputation, club history, or in this case their religion) it's not going to go down well.
TOSCS
Regarding the sectarian signing policy of Rangers FC. Do you think this was the fault of the board/management? I don't, the same way I don't think the management at Zenit FC are racist, it's their fans. The management needs to keep the fans happy and in much the same way that the fans would be angry if you splashed out a load on a ***** player, if you signed a player that the fans hated for other reasons (reputation, club history, or in this case their religion) it's not going to go down well.

It was the fault of both the board/management and the fans I think. The board were cynical and new that it put them in a powerful position in Scotland (in fact, they were no more a Protestant club, and certainly no bigger, than Dumbarton until they decided to go that way) and the fans were happy with their traditions being preserved.

This gives me a good excuse to bring up this Scotch and Wry parody of Rangers:

Reply 530
TOSCS

I have two Catholic Rangers supporting friends but there might be more, as I do not go around asking them all their religion beforehand.

I am also part-Italian and a lot of my family are Catholic.

TOSCS, I'll say it again. You are pathetic.

Rangers, were a product of the society around us. An influx of Irish Catholics, was met with trepidation and suspicion throughout Scotland. Due to that, many Protestants attached themselves to Rangers probably as a reaction to the fact that a club was formed in Glasgow, for Irish Catholics. It was totally natural.

Thankfully, we as a support and a club have moved on from this.
Reply 531
It might be worth asking as well, how many of the staunch Catholics in the Celtic support actually bothering attending chapel?

I bet I've been to chapel more than some of these nuggets and I aint Catholic.

TOSCS, just of interest. You're a Londonder living in Galway I believe? So, why did you choose to follow a football club in Glasgow? :confused:
Macafelly
I have two Catholic Rangers supporting friends but there might be more, as I do not go around asking them all their religion beforehand.

I am also part-Italian and a lot of my family are Catholic.

TOSCS, I'll say it again. You are pathetic.

Rangers, were a product of the society around us. An influx of Irish Catholics, was met with trepidation and suspicion throughout Scotland. Due to that, many Protestants attached themselves to Rangers probably as a reaction to the fact that a club was formed in Glasgow, for Irish Catholics. It was totally natural.

Thankfully, we as a support and a club have moved on from this.

Just a point of note here, and it's not taking away from your point about it being a product of society and due to demographics etc etc. Rangers became Protestant after the influx had largely ended (with Struth, I think) and was more down to the club answering the call for a "Scottish" team to challenge the "Catholic Irish" team who had recently won 6 league titles in a row.
I'm catholic and a Rangers fan (although I don't actually go to games, so it's easier to avoid stuff):s-smilie:

My school (catholic...all girls....fun) was almost entirely Celtic supporting though. In fact, most of my life I've been the odd one out:frown: lol.
Reply 534
I worked with a protestant Celtic fan, he had the club crest tattooed on his back and he was about 50, but he told me how he was told to stay away from the supporter bars on the Falls by other Celtic fans because it was getting too dangerous for him to be there, mind you this was at the height of the troubles.

When the two clubs were formed it was natural that one side would support their team, its not like today where religion isnt as important, back when the clubs were formed religion was everything. i'm not religious in the first place and was raised a catholic but barely, I've protestant family and some were even in the Orange order.

I dont know any catholic Rangers fans but I do know catholics(or people brought up as catholics but cba with it) who support the NI team, I'm one. I'd assume most NI fans are Rangers fans in the end, does that count? :wink:

Latest