The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
If I were to support a Scottish team, it'd be Rangers.
Reply 61
I support Villa so should probably prefer Celtic but meh I don't. I've always liked Rangers, possibly just cause their kits are always quite nice
McStewart
so a former youth trainer abuses children, yet isnt thrown out of the club despite knowledge of this happening, hmmm, to me it sounds like the whole club were at fault, im not saying the team as you mentioned above the players had nothing to do with it, but the club as a whole is the most corrupt football team in the country by a long way

Idiot. A "youth trainer"? He wasn't even a part of the club...

Incidentally, Alan Brazil, one of the abused, places no blame on Stein- he stood up for him when your lot sang your dirge- so why do rangers fans feel the need? They obviously know more than the victims themselves...
Reply 63
AndyK67
In spite of the fact that we sang 'Grand Old Team' first?

Believe me, not all Celtic fans love Liverpool. I'm a Manchester United fan, but Celtic always come first. I even know a Celt that supports Sunderland!

I did not say or imply that, i just notice the fact that you guys sing the same song as LFC every game. i song which i loathe
Reply 64
greeny11
If I were to support a Scottish team, it'd be Rangers.

Good lad, keeping it blue
Im not a football fan but from what I have seen over the years Celtic are the far superior team in terms of skill etc but Rangers seem to have the coolness factor down more.

I was neutral growing up but generally if someone asked I said Rangers.
Reply 66
Jamie:D
I did not say or imply that, i just notice the fact that you guys sing the same song as LFC every game. i song which i loathe

Fair enough, although it's a common misconception that Celtic fans will generally support Liverpool, like Rangers tend to have leanings towards Chelsea (although that tends to be the case).
Reply 67
MC REN
I support Villa so should probably prefer Celtic but meh I don't. I've always liked Rangers, possibly just cause their kits are always quite nice

I'm Villa through and through, and can see no reason why you 'should' support Celtic. The Birmingham derby isn't sectarianised at all as far as I'm aware, or do you know something I don't?

Has anyone seen this yet? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7370125.stm
BBC
Strachan laughs off Boruc antics

Artur Boruc displays his t-shirt after Celtic's 3-2 win

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan made light of Artur Boruc's antics after he revealed a 'God bless the Pope' t-shirt after his side's 3-2 win over Rangers.

The Poland international, nicknamed the 'Holy Goalie' by the Celtic fans, took his goalkeeping jersey off to show the t-shirt with a picture of the Pope and accompanying slogan.

"He's not a bad lad, to be fair (the Pope)," Strachan joked.

"If it was 'God bless Myra Hindley', I might have a problem."

Cate15
surely you cannot pin the failures of a former manager on the team as a whole.

thats like a memeber of the government saying something rasicst and for that you consider rascism to be rife within the entire government.

Lets be clear about this. Jock Stein did many things:

He won the European Cup
He won 9-in-a-row
He won 5 trophies in one season
He managed one team to two European finals and a further 3 European semi finals in one management spell.
He put Rangers in their place, below us.

However, HE DID NOT have anything to do with the Celtic Boys Club scandal, that was the sole work of one disturbed Jim Torbett. It is simply what He did that creates a hatred amongst rangers fans for him, which develops into this vile slur.
Reply 69
AndyK67
Fair enough, although it's a common misconception that Celtic fans will generally support Liverpool, like Rangers tend to have leanings towards Chelsea (although that tends to be the case).

Haven't you guys heard the Rod Stewart song? :p:

On another point, I'm a Chelsea fan, due to a mate who is a diehard fan (and also a Celtic fan, completely independent of my influence).
Overground
I'm Villa through and through, and can see no reason why you 'should' support Celtic. The Birmingham derby isn't sectarianised at all as far as I'm aware, or do you know something I don't?

Has anyone seen this yet? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7370125.stm

Think the villa link is due more to MON and his signings than religion or heritage.

As for Boruc, he's eccentric, but the best always are.
Reply 71
foxo
Anyway, removed the aforementioned posts because I'm not keen on getting banned, and it was in jest.

In all honesty I despise football. I used to work for a company that showed the old firm games though, and having dealt with the fans I can honestly say I prefer Celtic. Rangers fans do on the most part seem to advocate bigotry and it makes them all the more detestable. Statistics show that there are twice as many sectarian assaults on Catholics than there are on Protestants in this country.

Lies, damn lies, and...
Reply 72
AndyK67
In spite of the fact that we sang 'Grand Old Team' first?

Believe me, not all Celtic fans love Liverpool. I'm a Manchester United fan, but Celtic always come first. I even know a Celt that supports Sunderland!

Have seen plenty of Liverpool-Rangers alliance badges; I'd wager a lot, though, that a significant number more follow Celtic. Don't Rangers results sometimes get booed at Anfield? Used to be a similar thing at OT. Both did the "Celtic!"/"Rangers!" call before KO.
sebas_back
Have seen plenty of Liverpool-Rangers alliance badges; I'd wager a lot, though, that a significant number more follow Celtic. Don't Rangers results sometimes get booed at Anfield? Used to be a similar thing at OT. Both did the "Celtic!"/"Rangers!" call before KO.

Care to elaborate? Sounds interesting.
Reply 74

I wonder if that'll see him get another encounter with Strathclyde's finest.

He's a provocative idiot, and I don't say that lightly.
Reply 75
L i b

How exactly is it provocative to publicly declare their religion and get it's message across in it's own way.

It could only be judged provocative if people were offended by it. Judging by the previous actions of certain sections of the Rangers support, I'm sure they'll do their utmost to proclaim their outrage at this action, undoubtedly aided by the Scottish media.
L i b

Why is that provocative? He is merely paying tribute to a previous leader of his church and a soon-to-be Saint.

Are you suggesting that Rangers' fans' rampant anti-Catholicism would lead to them being encouraged to display their bigotry at the sight of this t-shirt. If so, where does the problem lie? Surely with the bigots?
Reply 77
Celtic

Because Barcelona and Celtic have a good relationship with each other and they really are class, the same for their fans :smile:
Reply 78
Celtic_Anthony
Why is that provocative? He is merely paying tribute to a previous leader of his church and a soon-to-be Saint.

Are you suggesting that Rangers' fans' rampant anti-Catholicism would lead to them being encouraged to display their bigotry at the sight of this t-shirt. If so, where does the problem lie? Surely with the bigots?

It's inappropriate and was clearly done with the intention of provoking sectarian tensions. Just like his previous criminal act at Ibrox: going around making a massive demonstration of crossing himself and such.

Whether the people present there have a right to feel upset is not the matter in contention: he deliberately provokes in full knowledge of how it will be received. That is wrong, and indeed is a criminal offence. It's only good luck that this didn't create an incident which would - as usual - be left to the police to clear up. Not, of course, that Artur Boruc cares; he'd probably love it.

While I'd expect such behaviour from idiots in the stands, this man is paid enormous sums of money for which I think we should expect a certain level of professionalism.
L i b
It's inappropriate and was clearly done with the intention of provoking sectarian tensions. Just like his previous criminal act at Ibrox: going around making a massive demonstration of crossing himself and such.

Whether the people present there have a right to feel upset is not the matter in contention: he deliberately provokes in full knowledge of how it will be received. That is wrong, and indeed is a criminal offence.

"Clearly done"? "Intention"? It was one man wearing a t-shirt, how can you decipher his reasoning. Could he not be showing support for a figure that is regularly abused by the rangers faithful? He didn't gesture towards the rangers support nor make a show of wearing the t-shirt, there is no reason to believe he even wore it for their benefit. He might even have been trying to curry favour with the majority RC Celtic support.

Latest