The Student Room Group
Reply 1
what board are you on?
Reply 2
I'm doing A2 Criminal Law. If you need any help with non-fatal offences, defences to murder, property offences etc... PM me :smile:
Reply 3
jacy_babi
what board are you on?

I'm on OCR.
Reply 4
Yup, I'll give it a go (Insofar as if you have any issues PM me). I did my A level last year.
Reply 5
im in too. im on ocr too
Reply 6
I do OCR too. The whole 4 unit A level in one year! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Oh wow! Thanks all of you! I appreciate all of your help =D
Reply 8
let me kick this off. when do you use diminished responsibility and when do you use insanity?
Reply 9
Well, diminished responsibility is only a defence to murder and will reduce the charge to voluntary manslaughter - where there is discretion in the sentencing instead of a mandatory sentence, and I was ill when my class studied insanity (so I have to catch up on notes!), but I assume it can be used as a defence for all crimes? Yeah, I think I really need to be told about Insanity! I don't know anything about it really.

Also, constructive manslaughter I don't know much about either, due to lack of notes (I can't find my old book with old notes in it so far! I'm still looking...), I think Insanity, Automatism and Constructive manslaughter are ones I'm struggling with the most. I'm not sure about Theft yet, it's okay but I worry that I may forget the detailed within the various parts within the definition.
Reply 10
Insanity is a defence to murder and will bring the offence down to manslaughter. The defendant has to be suffering from a relatively permanent mental condition to argue this so it is avoided by defendants because instead if prison, it can lead to indefinite hospitalization.
Constructive manslaughter is better known as unlawful act manslaughter and this is when the D commits an illegal act (eg: punching the victim) and this leads to their death. There are 3 requirements: 1. The D must have committed an unlawful act which led to death. 2. It must have been dangerous and 3. It must have been the cause of the victim's death (chain of causation)

Latest

Trending

Trending