The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

rupertj
Some latex is still not working for me. For example, in post 1325 in this thread, I get 'unparseable or potentially dangerous (etc.)", or is that actually supposed to happen?

Thats probably just Dean has typed something in wrong.

Edit: Just checked and he simply put in the \equiv which should have works, probably some little snag which didnt change with everything else but if you look at the latex help page everything is back up running, except the font size.
Reply 1301
This is a quote of what was said earlier and failed to parse
SimonM
How about the old latex?

What do you mean?
Reply 1303
The Muon
What do you mean?

See what I quoted? That was valid latex which doesn't parse where you've written it
SimonM
See what I quoted? That was valid latex which doesn't parse where you've written it

Oh I see. Was that just the Latex posted whilst latex as down?
Let α \alpha be a root of x4x3+x2x+1 x^4 - x^3 +x^2 - x + 1 .

Find the value of α20α15+α10α5+1 \alpha^{20} - \alpha^{15} + \alpha^{10} - \alpha^{5} + 1
Daniel Freedman
Let α \alpha be a root of x4x3+x2x+1 x^4 - x^3 +x^2 - x + 1 .

Find the value of α20α15+α10α5+1 \alpha^{20} - \alpha^{15} + \alpha^{10} - \alpha^{5} + 1

x4x3+x2x+1=0=(x2+x2)(x+x1)+1 x^4 - x^3 +x^2 - x + 1 = 0 = (x^2 + x^{-2}) - (x + x^{-1}) + 1

2cos(2θ)2cos(θ)+1=0cos(θ)=1+54θ=π5 2cos(2\theta) - 2cos(\theta) + 1 = 0 \Rightarrow cos(\theta) = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{4} \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{\pi}{5}

Then with the use of the useful eiθ=cos(θ)+isin(θ)α20α15+α10α5+1=eiπ4eiπ3+eiπ2eiπ+1=5 e^{i\theta} = cos(\theta) + isin(\theta) \Rightarrow \alpha^{20} - \alpha^{15} + \alpha^{10} - \alpha^{5} + 1 = e^{i\pi 4} - e^{i \pi 3} + e^{i\pi 2} - e^{i\pi} + 1 = 5
DeanK22
x4x3+x2x+1 x^4 - x^3 +x^2 - x + 1 = 0 = (x2+x2)(x+x1)+1 (x^2 + x^{-2}) - (x + x^{-1}) + 1

2cos(2θ)2cos(θ)+1=0cos(θ)=1+54θ=π5 2cos(2\theta) - 2cos(\theta) + 1 = 0 \Rightarrow cos(\theta) = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{4} \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{\pi}{5}

Then with the use of the useful eiθ=cos(θ)+isin(θ)α20α15+α10α5+1=eiπ4eiπ3+eiπ2eiπ+1=1 e^{i\theta} = cos(\theta) + isin(\theta) \Rightarrow \alpha^{20} - \alpha^{15} + \alpha^{10} - \alpha^{5} + 1 = e^{i\pi 4} - e^{i \pi 3} + e^{i\pi 2} - e^{i\pi} + 1 = 1

Your answer doesn't match the one I have.

EDIT: You edited.
Daniel Freedman
I don't completely follow what you've done, and your answer doesn't match the one I have.

... erm. Sorry. I added up incorrectly. The answer should not be one. I think I should be get 5 (will confirm shortly).
DeanK22
... erm. Sorry. I added up incorrectly. The answer should not be one. I think I should be get 5 (will confirm shortly).

Yes, 5 is right.

Although, I prefer the method I have.
Daniel Freedman
Yes, 5 is right.

Although, I prefer the method I have.

hmm. I like using this result; zn+zn=2cos(nθ) z^n + z^{-n} = 2cos(n\theta)

... Out of curiosity how did you do it?
DeanK22
hmm. I like using this result; zn+zn=2cos(nθ) z^n + z^{-n} = 2cos(n\theta)

... Out of curiosity how did you do it?

Your method is actually pretty nice :smile:

Alternatively,

Unparseable latex formula:

\\ x^5+1 = (x+1)(x^4-x^3+x^2-x+1) \\[br]\\ \implies \alpha^5 + 1 = (\alpha+1)(\alpha^4 - \alpha^3 + \alpha^2 - \alpha + 1) = 0 \\[br]\\ \implies \alpha^5 = -1 \\[br]\\ \implies \alpha^{20} - \alpha^{15} + \alpha^{10} - \alpha^5 + 1 = 1-(-1)+1-(-1)+1=5

Reply 1312
Daniel Freedman
Your method is actually pretty nice :smile:

Alternatively,

x^5+1 = (x+1)(x^4-x^3+x^2-x+1)

What made you think to consider x^5 + 1 in the first place?
Reply 1313
Swayum

Geometric progressions, equalling zero... looks like roots of unity to me
Swayum

From the question, knowing something about α5 \alpha^5 would be very useful.

EDIT: Geometric progressions, as Simon said.
I'll give credit to the source of this afterwards, as the solution is on there too.

For all real x, evaluate r=0sin3(3rx)3r \displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^3{(3^r x)}}{3^r}
Reply 1316
Here's a question I've always wanted an answer to. It's probably very simple for most of you; I'm only a lowly A2 Maths student!

If there are an infinite amount of numbers, and therefore an infinite amount of numbers between 1 and 2, how is it possible to get from 1 to 2? That implies a beginning and an end.
Lysdexia
Here's a question I've always wanted an answer to. It's probably very simple for most of you; I'm only a lowly A2 Maths student!

If there are an infinite amount of numbers, and therefore an infinite amount of numbers between 1 and 2, how is it possible to get from 1 to 2? That implies a beginning and an end.

What do you mean by "get from 1 to 2"?
Reply 1318
That 1 is the beginning of a series of an infinite amount of numbers and that 2 somehow causes an abrupt end to this series.
Lysdexia
That 1 is the beginning of a series of an infinite amount of numbers and that 2 somehow causes an abrupt end to this series.

You are pondering over a question that makes absolutely no sense - 2 is a symbol specifying an amount yet we could have arbitarly chosen another amount [i.e. in our conventional view of numbers we could have gone from 1 object to three objects with no 2 objects represented by a whole number].

Quick Reply

Latest