The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

Daniel Freedman
I'll give credit to the source of this afterwards, as the solution is on there too.

For all real x, evaluate r=0sin3(3rx)3r \displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^3{(3^r x)}}{3^r}

never done such a limit with any trig or infact never seen one until now.

some kind of tip?
DeanK22
never done such a limit with any trig or infact never seen one until now.

some kind of tip?

Presumably you've writted out the first few terms and aren't getting anywhere?

A good idea with summations is to try and express the general term in a nicer form that you can sum.
Reply 1322
DeanK22
You are pondering over a question that makes absolutely no sense - 2 is a symbol specifying an amount yet we could have arbitarly chosen another amount [i.e. in our conventional view of numbers we could have gone from 1 object to three objects with no 2 objects represented by a whole number].

I thought it would be something like that! :wink:
Reply 1323
Daniel Freedman
I'll give credit to the source of this afterwards, as the solution is on there too.

For all real x, evaluate r=0sin3(3rx)3r \displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^3{(3^r x)}}{3^r}

Very nice question. My first though was **** me that looks bitchy

Spoiler

SimonM

Spoiler

Telescopes nicely. :smile:

Offtopic: Is University of Leicester good for math? I just got an offer.
SimonM

Spoiler

how have you taken the sum?
thomaskurian89
Telescopes nicely. :smile:

Offtopic: Is University of Leicester good for math? I just got an offer.

... yeah it is good - maths staff (one of them) recieved his degree from there and spoke highly - it is currently an active place for new professors because of ssome kind of scholarship they have in place - apparently some very talented.
DeanK22
how have you taken the sum?

????
DeanK22
how have you taken the limit?

r=0nsin3(3rx)3r=14r=0n3sin(3rx)sin(3r+1x)3r=34sinx14sin(3n+1x)3n \displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{n}{\frac{\sin^3(3^{r} x)}{3^r}}=\frac{1}{4}\sum_{r=0}^{n} \frac{3\sin(3^r x)-\sin(3^{r+1}x)}{3^r}=\frac{3}{4}\sin x-\frac{1}{4}\frac{\sin(3^{n+1}x)}{3^n}

Now let n tend to infinity, and the second expression vanishes.

Unparseable latex formula:

\bigstar \boxed{ \mbox{Nicely done, Simon [s]smile[/s]}} \bigstar

Reply 1329
Daniel Freedman

Unparseable latex formula:

\bigstar \boxed{ \mbox{Nicely done, Simon [s]smile[/s]}} \bigstar

Thanks, (just got home)

Sauce?
... vm appreciated μon \mu on rather oddly the smiley face looks really scary though :yep:
DeanK22
... vm appreciated μon \mu on rather oddly the smiley face looks really scary though :yep:

Anytime. :top2:

p.s. I prefer μ\mu^- :wink:
... Prove

tan(A)tan(B)tan(C)=tan(A)+tan(B)+tan(C) \displaystyle tan(A)tan(B)tan(C) = tan(A) + tan(B) + tan(C) if A+B+C=π \displaystyle A + B + C = \pi
DeanK22
... Prove

tan(A)tan(B)tan(C)=tan(A)+tan(B)+tan(C) \displaystyle tan(A)tan(B)tan(C) = tan(A) + tan(B) + tan(C) if A+B+C=π \displaystyle A + B + C = \pi

Very similar to a question we've had before.

Spoiler

Reply 1334
Hi, I couldn't find any thread for past papers, so I'm just gonna post my query here..

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on M3 and M4 past papers? Solomons too would be very helpful, but I have no idea where to get them from. (Btw, don't say school! Is there anywhere else?)
Reply 1335
Merci, Merci beaucoup!
Sue and Bob take turns rolling a 6-sided die. Once either person rolls a 6, the game is over. Sue rolls first. If she doesn’t roll a 6, Bob rolls the die; if he doesn’t roll a 6, Sue rolls again. They continue taking turns until one of them rolls a 6.

Bob rolls a 6 before Sue.

What is the probability Bob rolled the 6 on his second turn?

(from xkcd)
Reply 1337

Spoiler

SimonM

Spoiler

Forgive this stupid question, but does it mean 'what is the probability Bob rolled the 6 on his second roll, given that he rolls a 6 before Sue?' If so, I don't see why it's not just:

Spoiler

If I'm not understanding this right, could you please explain it?
rupertj: "Bob rolls a 6 before Sue."

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest