The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

SimonM
A group of people who bitch about the world and generally do a bad job of everything

And in terms of numbers? (2ps, 1) really makes no sense to me. But:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 1381
DeanK22
a3+b3=4 \displaystyle a^3 + b^3 = 4 and 1a+1b=1 \displaystyle \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b} = -1 what are a and b?

Spoiler

1 ps 2 is a committee where 1 is both the president and the secretary and 2 is a normal member
Reply 1382
Aurel-Aqua
And in terms of numbers? (2ps, 1) really makes no sense to me. But:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I got distracted by DeanK22's question.

We define a committee as a nonempty set of people.
We then create the roles which can be taken by committee members of president and secretary.

These are not necessarily distinct people. So we can have 1 person on a committee on their own, as both the president and secretary.

EDIT: I probably should have said "How many ways to pick a committee from a set of people size n..."
Reply 1383
Here's a harder question to dispatch using the calculus method:

k=1n(nk)(ki)\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n \binom{n}{k} \binom{k}{i}
SimonM

i = ?
Reply 1385
Aurel-Aqua
i = ?

i is a positive integer, bruv, cos i izn't lurnin english.

(Damn I wanted to say 'I am')
SimonM
i is a positive integer, bruv, cos i izn't lurnin english.

(Damn I wanted to say 'I am')

I'm not sure about definitions: what is (34)\binom{3}{4} equal to?
Aurel-Aqua
I'm not sure about definitions: what is (34)\binom{3}{4} equal to?

Is =
Unparseable latex formula:

\displlaystyle \frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!} so with 3 and 4; \frac{3!}{4!(4-3)!}

is how you pick objects that many ways with that anmount of objects3
DeanK22
Is =
Unparseable latex formula:

\displlaystyle \frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!} so with 3 and 4; \frac{3!}{4!(4-3)!}

is how you pick objects that many ways with that anmount of objects3
Nevermind my question, it's equal to zero according to Wikipedia. By the way, (n-r) for n = 3, r = 4 is (3-4), not (4-3).
Aurel-Aqua
Nevermind my question, it's equal to zero according to Wikipedia. By the way, (n-r) for n = 3, r = 4 is (3-4), not (4-3).

typo
SimonM

I don't see where calculus comes in. We could simply use the fact that:

(1+(1+x))n=k=0n(nk)r=0k(kr)xr=k=0n(nr)2nrxr\displaystyle (1+(1+x))^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} \sum_{r=0}^k \binom{k}{r}x^{r} = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{r} 2^{n-r}x^r.

Equating coefficients, 2nrxr=k=0n(nk)(kr)xr\displaystyle 2^{n-r}x^r = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k}\binom{k}{r}x^r.

But since (n0)(0r)=0\displaystyle \binom{n}{0}\binom{0}{r} = 0, the k = 0 term disappears and thus k=1n(nk)(ki)=(ni)2ni\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n \binom{n}{k}\binom{k}{i} = \binom{n}{i}2^{n-i}.
Reply 1391
Fairy nuff. Now can you do that using combinatorics?

(34)=0\binom{3}{4} = 0

Since my last one backfired, how about

k=1nk5(nk)\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} k^5 \binom{n}{k}
SimonM
Fairy nuff. Now can you do that using combinatorics?

No.
SimonM
k=1nk5(nk)\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} k^5 \binom{n}{k}

Define Sn,r(x)=k=rnk!(kr)!(nk)xkr=drdxr(1+x)n=n!(nr)!(1+x)nr\displaystyle S_{n,r}(x) = \sum_{k=r}^n\frac{k!}{(k-r)!}\binom{n}{k}x^{k-r} = \frac{\mathrm{d}^r}{\mathrm{d} x^r} (1+x)^n = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!}(1+x)^{n-r}.

Define Qn,r(x)=k=0nkr(nr)xr\displaystyle Q_{n,r}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n k^r\binom{n}{r}x^r.

Then we write Sn,5(x)S_{n,5}(x) in terms of lower Qs, and then those Qs in terms of lower S-es, and so on. For example:
Sn,5(x)=Qn,510Qn,4+35Qn,350Qn,2+24Qn,1S_{n,5}(x) = Q_{n,5}-10Q_{n,4}+35Q_{n,3}-50Q_{n,2}+24Q_{n,1}

After a few substitutions that took me well over an hour, I found that Qn,5(x)=Sn,5(x)+10Sn,4(x)+25Sn,3(x)+15Sn,2(x)+Sn,1(x)Q_{n,5}(x) = S_{n,5}(x)+10S_{n,4}(x)+25S_{n,3}(x)+15S_{n,2}(x)+S_{n,1}(x).

Expressing by the original definitions, we get: k=1nk5(nk)=Sn,5(1)=2n5(n5+10n4+15n310n2)\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} k^5 \binom{n}{k} = S_{n,5}(1) = 2^{n-5}(n^5+10n^4+15n^3-10n^2).
I tested this for n = 1, n = 2 and n = 3 to be true.

Are there any theorems related to this?

Simon, now it's your turn to write up a combinatorial argument / complete it for this beautiful 5th degree polynomial.
Reply 1393
Aurel-Aqua

Are there any theorems related to this?

I doubt it although considering Newton sums might be the most relevant bit of theory

Simon, now it's your turn to write up a combinatorial argument / complete it for this beautiful 5th degree polynomial.

I will after University Challenge

What a final!

Anyway.

We are counting the number of ways to choose a committee from n people, with 5 executive positions.

Summing by increasing the size of our committee, for a committee of size k, there are (nk)\displaystyle \binom{n}{k} ways to choose a committee and k5\displaystyle k^5 ways to arrange them into our executive positions. This is precisely our sum.

Assume we have one dictator, there is n ways to choose our Hitler, and 2n1\displaystyle 2^{n-1} ways to choose the rest of the committee. This gives us n2n1\displaystyle n 2^{n-1}

Two brave leaders, there is n×(n1)\displaystyle n \times (n-1) ways to choose them, so the first guy gets the most jobs (be that 3 or 4). There are (53)+(54)\displaystyle \binom{5}{3} + \binom{5}{4} ways to choose his jobs. And there is 2n2\displaystyle 2^{n-2} ways to choose the rest of the committee. This gives us n×(n1)15×2n2\displaystyle n \times (n-1) 15 \times 2^{n-2}

Three brave leaders, 3,1,1 or 2,2,1. There is n×(n12)\displaystyle n \times \binom{n-1}{2} ways to choose the people so that one person gets the most (or least) jobs. There is then (53)\displaystyle \binom{5}{3} ways to allocate his job. There is then 2 ways to allocate the remaining jobs. If the top is spilt evenly, there is (52)(32)\displaystyle \binom{5}{2} \binom{3}{2} ways to choose which jobs go to whom, and the remaining person takes what he is given. The remaining committee can be made up in 2n3\displaystyle 2^{n-3} ways. This gives us n×(n12)((53)×2+(52)(32))×2n3\displaystyle n \times \binom{n-1}{2} \left ( \binom{5}{3} \times 2 + \binom{5}{2} \binom{3}{2} \right ) \times 2^{n-3}

Four brave leaders, one person gets two jobs (micro-Hitler) and the rest get a job each, there are n×(n1)×(n2)×(n3)\displaystyle n \times (n-1) \times (n-2) \times (n-3) ways to choose them, (with ordering). There is (52)\displaystyle \binom{5}{2} ways to choose micro-Hitler's jobs. The remaining people are ordered, so they take their jobs as they're given. The remaining committe can be formed in 2n4\displaystyle 2^{n-4} ways. This gives us n×(n1)×(n2)×(n3)×(52)×2n4\displaystyle n \times (n-1) \times (n-2) \times (n-3) \times \binom{5}{2} \times 2^{n-4}

Five leaders, each receive a positions, therefore there are n×(n1)×(n2)×(n3)×(n4)\displaystyle n \times (n-1) \times (n-2) \times (n-3) \times (n-4) ways to choose our executives and 2n5\displaystyle 2^{n-5} ways to choose the rest of the committee. This gives us n×(n1)×(n2)×(n3)×(n4)×2n5\displaystyle n \times (n-1) \times (n-2) \times (n-3) \times (n-4) \times 2^{n-5}

Adding these up we get 2n5n2(10+15n+10n2+n3)\displaystyle 2^{n-5} n^2 (-10 + 15 n + 10 n^2 + n^3)

I'm sure Stirling numbers would come in useful here, but my brain isn't on full power at the moment

I'm very glad we agree :smile:
Reply 1394
Some more problems:

Find the highest prime divisor of:

(200100)\binom{200}{100},

source: ripped of some america maths challenge

Using Legendre symbols, Prove that

a=1p1(ap)=0\displaystyle \sum_{a=1}^{p-1} \left ( \frac{a}{p} \right ) = 0
Reply 1395
Damn, I meant the highest two digit divisor.

*facepalm*
Reply 1396
Nope. 99=32×1199 = 3^2 \times 11
Reply 1397
SimonM
Nope. 99=32×1199 = 3^2 \times 11

So you mean, highest 2 digit prime factor?

In which case....61

but I cheated and used a program I have hanging around.
Reply 1398
rnd
So you mean, highest 2 digit prime factor?

In which case....61

but I cheated and used a program I have hanging around.

I said prime in my first post didn't I?

There is a nicer way to get it though
Reply 1399
Work out the last five digits of 12491249 \displaystyle 1249^{1249}

Quick Reply

Latest