The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i got 6A*s 3As and 1B at gcse which is quite gd. I kinda slacked at AS nd got BBCC. I didnt realise how much work it was. Its a massive stepup from gcse. Luckily someone invented retakes and i took 6 units in jan and am now on AAAA. If i could give any advice it wud be to work ur ass off now for AS and then u can have less work to do in A2s.
I got reasonable GCSEs 7A's and 4B's, and got and E and a U at AS in January.

However, I know this is my fault because i went on holiday and got back the day before my exams, and did no revision at all. Am having to work my ass off now to make sure I don't bomb out in the summer exams :frown:
Reply 42
SylverStrike
Obviously most people are getting a bit stressed out at this time of year with the exams and everything, and now I'm in total panic mode at just how soon the exams are. I feel like I've done no revision, but I was in the same situation with GCSEs and did alright. What I'm asking is, how commonplace is it for someone to get a good set of GCSEs and then completely screw up AS? Of course, doing well at GCSE does not guarantee that you'll do well at A-level, but how common is it for someone with predominantly A's and A*'s to end up with a collection of B's and C's at AS?

theres too much more to revise for AS.
Reply 43
Im glad we had early tests during October after one module was finished because it really did wake some people up in my class who thought they were okay due to an A* in chem hence naturally felt that they would ace AS. This was not the case and many of them got low 30's.

Now its up to them whether they've started revising or not but to many it was a wake up call that a-lvls are somethin else to gcses
I agree with most of the stuff said on here to be honest. Some people can get away with doing bugger all revision all their lives and still get good grades, but they will receive a significant kick up the jacksy if they apply that theory when starting a career. I found the leap between GCSE and AS not too bad (except Geography >_<) but in terms of stuff to learn it's a heck of a lot more. If you think about it, we basically get year ten to learn gcse stuff, and year 11 to revise it. at AS we have less than a year to learn it all to quite a high standerd. I was determined not to get complacent for the Jan mods and managed to come out with two quite high A's - mainly because i did ****loads of revision for Psychology. But now i'm really in the same situation as you, 'SylverStrike' :wink: it's hard to revise when teachers keep setting sodding homework as well! And i end up revising psychology and nothing else, namely because i have no motivation for my other subjects. This is unfortunate as the two subjects i have neglected are actually the most academic. Bum.
Reply 45
some people are just extremly lucky that they hardly do any revision, like one of my friends, he picks a few area's to revise on and he's allways been lucky...hes doing the same thing now, hasent started and he probz will get good marks!

Best thing to do is to revise the past papers i've realised for AS, for GCSE, you could read the revision guide and get away with it, but AS, notes, revision guides dont do anything...ALL ABOUT THE PAST PAPERS!

Latest