The Student Room Group
For the "85% of schools are State run", you could say something like "Le gouvernement entretient 85% des ecoles"

I used "entretenir" because it shows that the state maintains the school rather than manage it. I suppose you could use either, but I like the sound of entretient more
Reply 2
I reckon "Baccalauréat" will be the equivalent. And 85% of schools are State run would be 85% des lycées sont publics
Reply 3
largebrandon
For the "85% of schools are State run", you could say something like "Le gouvernement entretient 85% des ecoles"

Thanks. I'll have another look on the web for "A level" :smile:
Reply 4
cactus_c
I reckon "Baccalauréat" will be the equivalent. And 85% of schools are State run would be 85% des lycées sont publics

Ah - thanks! So to say "I'm doing A levels in French and Maths" or something like that, it'd be "je passerai le Bac en français et maths"?
Muppety_Kid
Ah - thanks! So to say "I'm doing A levels in French and Maths" or something like that, it'd be "je passerai le Bac en français et maths"?

I suppose you could also say "Mes specializations sont francais et maths"
Reply 6
Muppety_Kid

Je vais passer le bac en math et en français would be more common but yeah grammatically correct

edit: woops sorry it should be bac de français etc...
Baccalauréat = A-level
i thought it should e something like "je ferai les maths et le francais pour mon bac" , but im prob wrong though...
Reply 9
Thanks everyone - I've just had my exam and it went really well. In the end I said I was doing the bac (thinking it was pretty much the equivalent) and he asked if it was the IB! :s-smilie: I think I was able to redeem myself by explaining in French that I'd been told it was the equivalent of A levels though, so fingers crossed...
I was always told to say "A Levels" if I'm talking about the exams here, and the Bac there. I mean, you wouldn't talk about a French bac student in France studying A Levels, and equally you wouldn't say someone who's doing their A Levels in the UK are doing the Bac.. they're not the same exam. I'd say I was doing my A Levels, which are the equivalent of the Bac in France.

(Just noticed this was too late oops)
Reply 11
Muppety_Kid
Thanks everyone - I've just had my exam and it went really well. In the end I said I was doing the bac (thinking it was pretty much the equivalent) and he asked if it was the IB! :s-smilie: I think I was able to redeem myself by explaining in French that I'd been told it was the equivalent of A levels though, so fingers crossed...

well done :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending