Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

*MEGATHREAD* - Work Experience and Voluntary Work - READ BEFORE POSTING

Announcements Posted on
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    So is the problem that I have to not be living locally?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSoftie)
    Ideally, otherwise you would know people in the practice area. You might end up sitting in on their consultations, sorting their medical notes, booking in their appointments etc. and it just causes confidentiality breaches. Obviously further afield the same breaches exist, however you don't know the people there so it means absolutely nothing to you.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I applied to 40 GP practices in one day and only got accepted for work experience at one. Just keep going with it and try and apply more than 5 miles away from where you live.
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Search for a teaching practice - one where medicine students often go for placements etc.
    They will be more likely to take a work experience candidate on.
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently sitting my gcse's and will soon have 3 months of holiday - which is plenty of time for me to do some work experience! Does anyone know where i can do some medical-related work experience? (there are limited options as i am under 18)Any help would be greatly appreciated
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hey we're both on the same boat! I'm looking into volunteering at a care home and possibly at a charity shop - they are always looking for volunteers! I've also 'tried' to contact my local hospital but my application is still 'processing'. Look some experience in a clinical setting (if you haven't already). I had a week's experience at a GP through school. Where did you have yours? From my research, lol, experience is quality over quantity (as per usual) so whatever you decide to do - try and do it long term. It will show how committed you are. Hope this helped a bit!
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mia_hilton)
    I'm currently sitting my gcse's and will soon have 3 months of holiday - which is plenty of time for me to do some work experience! Does anyone know where i can do some medical-related work experience? (there are limited options as i am under 18)Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Yeah the first port of call is look towards your local hospital(s). Usually hospitals will have something about work experience on their website. I would organise any work experience ASAP as it can take a long time to organise Volunteering at a hospital is also good work experience especially if done long term, but like the work experience this can take a long time to organise. GP work experience is nice but not essential, any voluntary placement is relevant so anything's good
    In the end the most important factor is how you write what you've learnt from you volunteering placements/work experience placements in your Personal Statement and in your interview
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Ask a GP practice in an obscure location.

Seriously, the ones in London near me have been swamped by students in past years, so just don't take applications any more. I found one in a small town in the middle of nowhere who had never even been asked for work experience before, and they were more than happy to help me (if a little amused at having their first ever student).

It's certainly possible.
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    just thought id say- do something different!

i worked at a funeral home/radio station/ organised a Vcashpoint project/ taught children how to sing/organised sessions at college to help other applicants with medicine

then the obvious hospice/ hospital! thats standard! lol

good look to all!!

but start early- and take every opportunity you get!

btw- GP surgeiries arent necesssary- my hopsital placement was a week one in which i got shoved around the various departments for a few hours each!
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra's Box)

Oh and there is a site where I can request hospital shadowing - however, it asks for the name and contact details of the place sponsoring/supporting my request and I'm doing it alone. So what do I write? Just 'personal'?
    Is this site just for your local area? How did you find it?
    Thanks
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSoftie)
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    Ideally, otherwise you would know people in the practice area. You might end up sitting in on their consultations, sorting their medical notes, booking in their appointments etc. and it just causes confidentiality breaches. Obviously further afield the same breaches exist, however you don't know the people there so it means absolutely nothing to you.
    I've had personal experience with this; whilst I was doing my GP work experience I came across the medical records of a two girls who used to go to my school. Obviously I didn't look because that would be a breach of confidentiality and I had loads of notes to file away, but I'm just saying that it can happen.

In other words, don't get work experience with your GP, because they are likely to also be the GP of someone else that you know.
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Ive got two weeks of work experience planned during the summer at my local hospital - which i'm really looking forward to, but i was just wondering how much work experience is enough? If i enjoy it, which i hope i do!- then I will probably try to rearrange some more but i dont want to be greedy
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    That's more than what I had - I had a week and two days, but at the end of the day admissions don't care how much, its all about what you learnt. So yeah two weeks is fine quality over quantity.

I think you are better off with loads of voluntary work rather than loads of work experience though
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    That's plenty.
    Quality of your reflections always trumps the quantity of work experience had.
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny_veggies)
    Is this site just for your local area? How did you find it?
    Thanks
    Just for my local area. I was told by a lady who works for the GP, but if you go to the site of your local hospital or area trust, then to Working with us, or Human Resources, or Volunteering, or something similar, there may be a page. If you are unsure then you can request a placement via the HR department. Their email address should be OK to locate! Good luck
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    For a 23 year old who works full time, is it possible to fit in some health care experience round a 40 hour working week?!

Plan to apply for an Access to Medicine course for next year's intake and stressing about whether I can get enough experience to be seriously considered!
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I hope to apply to Med Schools this year, for 2013 undergraduate entry, and while I am hopeful my grades will meet requirements I am worried about my lack of work experience!

I have a week placement in a hospital, and I visit primary schools weekly to teach them science subjects. I hope to get a voluntary job at a charity shop during summer.

I realize this amount of work experience isn't enough, do I stand a chance of getting in to medicine school?

And do I have enough time to get more?

I'm very worried!

Nb; I also don't do any extra-curricular activities! Does my teaching in primary schools count as one as it is voluntary and not an actual work placement?
  18. Offline

ReputationRep:
    It's not about how much you do. It's about how much you can reflect(bull****) about it.
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to (relevent) rambling I am pretty good. So if I can draw out all the different kinds of aspects they want me to have will I be okay? Even if my ramble comes from a weeks experience as opposed to a year or several months?
  20. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza)
    I hope to apply to Med Schools this year, for 2013 undergraduate entry, and while I am hopeful my grades will meet requirements I am worried about my lack of work experience!

I have a week placement in a hospital, and I visit primary schools weekly to teach them science subjects. I hope to get a voluntary job at a charity shop during summer.

I realize this amount of work experience isn't enough, do I stand a chance of getting in to medicine school?

And do I have enough time to get more?

I'm very worried!

Nb; I also don't do any extra-curricular activities! Does my teaching in primary schools count as one as it is voluntary and not an actual work placement?
    This is fine. Many people don't have more than a week or so in a hospital as it means you have to miss school to do it properly. I'd count your school work as volunteering. And as Phryx said, it's not how much, but what you learnt from it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 26, 2015
2015 general election
New on TSR

Win a postgrad place

Scholarship worth over £9,000 up for grabs

Article updates
  • 0 new posts
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.