Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

*MEGATHREAD* - Work Experience and Voluntary Work - READ BEFORE POSTING

Announcements Posted on
Results day: make sure you know what to expect before you get your grades. Here's how to be ready. 22-07-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza)
    Thankyou! Hopefully, with a couple of resits here and there I should get my A's and possibly a B (though I'm hoping it's an A!)
    What kind of experiences/learning points to they love you to mention in a personal statement?
    Not too sure if I'm honest :P I would say you should show examples of good leadership, teamwork, communication and dedication in your personal statement. It's also good to have a structure to your PS so it's easy to read. Try your best not to use clichés such as "I want to do medicine cause I like helping people". I found looking at examples helped quite a bit and gave me an idea on how to write it I'll happy to send you mine if you wish!

(Original post by Leigh303)
    didnt see this sticky!...
    ...really grateful if anyone has any ideas
    I would say the best option is to contact them directly so e-mail them about it or even phone them up!

(Original post by Richyp22)
    Hmm got a hard decision. Ive been offered a voluntry placement at a demensia care home 5 hours a week. But I already do 3 hours in a hospice, Do you guys think doing both would be worth it to my application at all?
    Would it look good on my application showing double commitment?
    hmmm hard decision
    I think doing 8 hours of volunteering a week is quite a lot, especially if you're going to be doing it for a long period of time. If you think you can handle it then sure go for it but personally I would choose only one of the two: You can carry on the hospice work and show a long term commitment or you can only do the dementia care home placement so you can have 2 voluntary placements to write about/talk about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang599)
    Not too sure if I'm honest :P I would say you should show examples of good leadership, teamwork, communication and dedication in your personal statement. It's also good to have a structure to your PS so it's easy to read. Try your best not to use clichés such as "I want to do medicine cause I like helping people". I found looking at examples helped quite a bit and gave me an idea on how to write it I'll happy to send you mine if you wish!
    That would be incredibly helpful! Thankyou so much

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that volunteer work for the British Red Cross (as a emergency response volunteer) is as good as working in a care home? I do volunteer work at a charity shop on weekdays, but think I need to do something different on the weekends to make me stand out more and try to do something different.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that volunteer work for the British Red Cross (as a emergency response volunteer) is as good as working in a care home? I do volunteer work at a charity shop on weekdays, but think I need to do something different on the weekends to make me stand out more and to try out different stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seuqaj)
    Do you think that volunteer work for the British Red Cross (as a emergency response volunteer) is as good as working in a care home? I do volunteer work at a charity shop on weekdays, but think I need to do something different on the weekends to make me stand out more and to try out different stuff.
    You would probably need to find some caring work experience as well as the red cross stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    You would probably need to find some caring work experience as well as the red cross stuff.
    Hmm got a hard decision. Ive been offered a voluntry placement at a demensia care home 5 hours a week. But I already do 3 hours in a hospice, Do you guys think doing both would be worth it to my application at all?

hmmm hard decision

You seem to know your stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)

hmmm hard decision

You seem to know your stuff?
    It's less about what it shows and more about what skills you develop out of it. Can you really stand to devote 8 hours a week alongside your studies and other extracurriculars? If you can, and you find it useful, then do it. Otherwise don't. The hospice work, as long as you've learnt relevant things from it, is good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Neuro-)
    [...] I'm also aware of how universities, especially Edinburgh, where I hope to go to look at three categories: diseased, disabled and disadvantaged. Would this work experience fit these three categories?[...]
    Do you have a source for this?

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for hospital volunteering next week. The interview states that it's for an hour. Does anyone know why it's so long and what sort of things will be happening during this? Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :) Lauraaa :))
    I have an interview for hospital volunteering next week. The interview states that it's for an hour. Does anyone know why it's so long and what sort of things will be happening during this? Thankyou.
    I had an interview which was supposed to be for an hour but I found that it was actually really short and the majority of the time was form-filling, orientation etc.
    It might be the same with you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I got this off from the Work exp wiki- "During your Work Experience; Make the most of your work experience – talk to the doctors, get to see as many things as possible! Get the most out of it as you can – it will give you loads to talk about in your interview."

When shadowing a doctor, say, an orthopedic surgeon.

What kind of information would you want to get from him?
    Information about the patient's disease & ways to cure it?
    Or more of the ethics side of the medical field?

And when he does tell you some really difficult, unknown medical terms of the particular disease, is it recommended to know & remember it?
    Or just a brief knowledge about the whole situation would do?

I really want to make full use of my work experience period since it was REALLY difficult to arrange one, so please help!

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You're more likely to be sat in the corner of the clinic or stalking them on a ward round than talking to them. Don't get too caught up in the science the most important part is how they act with their patients, what their job entails. You're there to find out the role of a doctor so there's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Might be worth looking at this, seems like it would apply to the UK as well http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Edu...es/Shadow.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies! Very much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltingice)
    Hi guys

I got this off from the Work exp wiki- "During your Work Experience; Make the most of your work experience – talk to the doctors, get to see as many things as possible! Get the most out of it as you can – it will give you loads to talk about in your interview."

When shadowing a doctor, say, an orthopedic surgeon.

What kind of information would you want to get from him?
    Information about the patient's disease & ways to cure it?
    Or more of the ethics side of the medical field?

And when he does tell you some really difficult, unknown medical terms of the particular disease, is it recommended to know & remember it?
    Or just a brief knowledge about the whole situation would do?

I really want to make full use of my work experience period since it was REALLY difficult to arrange one, so please help!

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:
    If I were you, I'd try to find out about life as a doctor, why he enjoys what he does, what he doesn't like etc. Watch how he interacts with patients (though orthopods may not be the best model for this!) and if you can talk to the patients to see how they're feeling.

They may ask you technical questions, as some doctors don't really know/care about the difference between work experience students and junior medical students. If you know, great, and if they teach you stuff, that's great too, but that's not what you're there for, so don't get too bogged down in the nitty-gritty. You've got 5 years of med school to learn medicine; what your work experience is really about is deciding if that's really how you want to spend the next 5 years.

You may find it helpful to talk to juniors on the team, rather than just the consultant - they will have been through medical school more recently and can give you a more accurate picture of life as a junior doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

You may find it helpful to talk to juniors on the team, rather than just the consultant - they will have been through medical school more recently and can give you a more accurate picture of life as a junior doctor.
    Absolutely this.

ReputationRep:
    Get a giant list of interview questions and make a mental note of some of them that you are struggling with and ask the consultant, junior doctor etc. about how they would answer it, it can often focus your mind on your own answer.

For example I have known for the past 5/6 years I wanted to study medicine...but I could never answer the question "why do you want to be a doctor?" When, I asked some doctors this I realised exactly why I wanted to and even why I struggled answering the question. It was really useful...asking about medical stuff is not that useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Simon-)
    Get a giant list of interview questions and make a mental note of some of them that you are struggling with and ask the consultant, junior doctor etc. about how they would answer it, it can often focus your mind on your own answer.
    I would definitely not do this. I had a school student on work experience shadow me as a finalist and she kept asking me these questions over and over again. I wanted to tell her 'figure it out yourself' and it was just really annoying. She kept asking me these questions as I was trying to write up clerkings, look at films etc.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're friendly, enthusiastic, dressed in an appropriate manner and able to string a sentence or two together then you'll be fine. By all means ask questions (this shows you're enthusiastic), but don't start firing 101 questions about why medicine on a ward round or during a consultation.

Would definitely agree with seeking advice from juniors or senior med students. I really enjoyed my time with GP's and consultants because it gave me an idea of what the end product of the job would be like but realistically it was my time spent talking to med students or junior medics that was most useful when it came to giving strength and depth to my application.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, would just like to ask whether universities require proof/evidence of the work experience you've done to be submitted to them, e.g. evidence letters/certificates. Or do they just take you at your word?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How tall are you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.