The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thechemistress
... Mainly just observing endoscopies, stents being put in, EVARs etc? I asked in the last hospital I was in and they said I had to be 18. However my friend has been allowed to watch endoscopies and she's only 16?
Will not having any theatre experience put me at a disadvantage when I apply?

I watched a couple biopsies but nothing exactly surgical. It isn't about what you see/do on work experience it's what you learn. The big no no with your application is to list things you did/saw so I really wouldnt worry about seeing surgery spend that time doing voluntary work-it's way way more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 19ACH98
Yeah, I know that eventually something will come along, it's just been months of searching and I'm facing lots of demoralization at the minute. What are you doing now by the way?
P.s. Instead of making a parent drive long distances I'll have to spend most likely double the ordinary travel time on a horrible crowded bus with very rough people and the threat of being mugged.. Wish me luck :tongue:

I'm a med student. Buses aren't so bad if you can drown out the noise. And who would mug on a public bus with loads of witnesses? If you don't get clinical volunteer work will help anyway. When do you apply?
Hello,
This is my first post on here, so I figured I should give you a bit of a history about myself so maybe someone can help me with my question. I was born in Scotland, moved to England when I was 5, and left the UK for the US when I was 10, then moved to Canada when I was 13; My mother is Canadian and my father is a UK citizen. My whole family (except me) moved back to Scotland about 6 years ago, while I attended University. I got my first degree in Psychology (BSc) and my second degree was in Nursing (BN) and I have been working as an RN for over three years in Canada. I have decided to follow my dreams of being a Physician, and I want to apply to the UK before applying to Canada or the US, since this is where my family is. I am 27 years old, and will be 28 upon the application start date, therefore applying as a mature (sounds gross) graduate student.

I have noticed that several Universities seem to place a larger emphasis on "extra-curricular activities", and I was wondering what this typically entails. For my volunteer experience, I have spent 3 months volunteering in a Pediatric Hospital in Nepal, and also spent 3 months in Ghana working with trafficked children (a project that I started myself, and was very successful with several other people helping out, with extensive planning and fundraising involved). I am very athletic, and have always been heavily involved with sports. I am Assistant Captain for my Ice-Hockey team (stereotypes are sometimes true :tongue:), played football growing up (the real kind, not the 'American Football' garbage), I snowboard all the time in the winter, jog frequently in the summer (training for a marathon right now), and generally keep myself very active. I was involved in several clubs in my University years, and was the President of the Psychology club, and was on the executive for several other clubs. Would this consider me to be 'strong' in that section?

I also wondered if my background as an RN would be considered important to both 'work experience' and 'commitment to medicine'? I personally couldn't think of any better experience, and feel that it would prepare me extremely well for medical school; however, I am not sure how the UK universities view this.

I am trying to choose which schools to apply to, and after extensive research I stumbled upon this wonderful summary chart on this website. My cumulative GPA is a 3.44 between both degrees, and 3.59 in my first degree (I believe this puts me in a second class honors equivelent). I will be writing my UKCAT at the end of September, and plan on dedicating at least 100-150 hours of studying to this, to try my absolute best to obtain a high mark. I know it will be very difficult to determine which schools to apply to until my UKCAT scores come in, but I am hoping to around a 2500-2700 with my extensive practising). I would have no problem getting excellent references from Physicians or colleagues, and I feel my personal statement would put me above most international students as I would emphasize my work experience, my UK background, and the fact that my entire family lives in the UK already.

I am begging for any advice at all as to what you feel would be my 'strong points' for an application, as well as any more specific advice as to what schools what maximize my chance for an interview. Thanks in advanced!
I forgot to mention that I am so far planning on finding a school that emphasizes extra-curricular, as well as work experience because I feel that this is my strongest area as my academics are only decent, and my UKCAT is unknown at this time. So far I am thinking my four picks will be Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham (takes lots of North Americans I hear, and emphasizes work/extra-curricular), and Sheffield. Thanks again! :smile:
Reply 7684
Well I would say you are in a good position,in my opinion you tick all the boxes just need to get a good ukcat score. Then you can look at the graduate entry unis and decide which of them to apply to. NoT sure what type of score you will need in the ukcat as a international student but I know from my own experience that for graduates from the UK graduate medicine is ultra competitive.
Original post by utrect
Well I would say you are in a good position,in my opinion you tick all the boxes just need to get a good ukcat score. Then you can look at the graduate entry unis and decide which of them to apply to. NoT sure what type of score you will need in the ukcat as a international student but I know from my own experience that for graduates from the UK graduate medicine is ultra competitive.

Thanks for the confidence booster! I was planning on applying to the 5 or 6 year programs due to them being less competitive. Any thoughts on that?
Reply 7686
Original post by Mike7321
Thanks for the confidence booster! I was planning on applying to the 5 or 6 year programs due to them being less competitive. Any thoughts on that?

I applied for both!!! 4 and 5 year but over the two cycles of applications I only managed one interview lucky for me I start this September. I telephoned each university to find out what their policy was on accepting graduates onto a 5 year course (it would have been expensive) I was encouraged by what they told me. My advice is research each uni you intend to apply to that way you will know know what they expect from applicants and you will be prepared when it comes to interview. Never give up you can do it!!!!
Hello all, just looking for a quick bit of advice if possible!

I graduated in Pharmacology last year with a 2.1 from KCL. Before that, I had intended to apply for medicine but pulled out as I wasn't entirely sure at the time. I've returned to the thought once or twice since then, and assessed a couple of other career options, and I've recently come round to thinking it's really what I want to do.

I took a CELTA course this summer and have been teaching English to foreign students in the UK. Although I don't want to pursue teaching as a career, it's shown me that I really love working with people, and I always go out of my way to help the students in my class as they orientate themselves here. (finding it hard to avoid the old medicine cliches)

I shadowed a surgeon and a GP for a few days when I was thinking of applying back in 2009, and went on a couple of lecture courses at two of my local teaching hospitals, but I haven't done anything since then. I did work in a pharmacy for six weeks in the summer before my final year, and obviously I've been teaching (working with people). Along with that, I've been looking after my mum, who has cancer, although I wouldn't guess that reeeally counts as it's a personal thing. I've got a few things to speak of but is that 'enough', as most of it is based outside hospitals (i.e. it's not the sort of 'hardcore' experience a lot of other applicants will have)?

As it's quite late on in terms of preparing an application (and my local university hospital have said they need 8 weeks' notice before shadowing/work experience queries) I'm panicking a bit about finding something else - is there any line of care work which is fairly easy to sort out quickly? And if not, is it still worth putting in an application?
(edited 9 years ago)
To be clear, when you're talking about work experience, should you mention negative things? E,g. If a doctor did not have the best bedside manner, or a patient was rude in consultations? Or is it best to reflect on neutral/positive experiences at interview? I wasn't planning on it but would be interesting to see.
Original post by QuidditchFan
To be clear, when you're talking about work experience, should you mention negative things? E,g. If a doctor did not have the best bedside manner, or a patient was rude in consultations? Or is it best to reflect on neutral/positive experiences at interview? I wasn't planning on it but would be interesting to see.

It's an interesting idea but you only have 4000 characters and uni don't care about what you saw especially. They want to know what you learned what you got out of the work experience as a whole not a diary account. I think putting that in would lead to a temptation to explain a whole story and waste lots of space.
Id stick to general experiences rather that getting bogged down in specific events.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been volunteering at a hospital for the last 7 months but am starting to feel short of time so want to leave, will this look bad to unis? I've also volunteered at a charity shop for a year
Original post by maxwellhouseeyes
Hello all, just looking for a quick bit of advice if possible!

I graduated in Pharmacology last year with a 2.1 from KCL. Before that, I had intended to apply for medicine but pulled out as I wasn't entirely sure at the time. I've returned to the thought once or twice since then, and assessed a couple of other career options, and I've recently come round to thinking it's really what I want to do.

I took a CELTA course this summer and have been teaching English to foreign students in the UK. Although I don't want to pursue teaching as a career, it's shown me that I really love working with people, and I always go out of my way to help the students in my class as they orientate themselves here. (finding it hard to avoid the old medicine cliches)

I shadowed a surgeon and a GP for a few days when I was thinking of applying back in 2009, and went on a couple of lecture courses at two of my local teaching hospitals, but I haven't done anything since then. I did work in a pharmacy for six weeks in the summer before my final year, and obviously I've been teaching (working with people). Along with that, I've been looking after my mum, who has cancer, although I wouldn't guess that reeeally counts as it's a personal thing. I've got a few things to speak of but is that 'enough', as most of it is based outside hospitals (i.e. it's not the sort of 'hardcore' experience a lot of other applicants will have)?

As it's quite late on in terms of preparing an application (and my local university hospital have said they need 8 weeks' notice before shadowing/work experience queries) I'm panicking a bit about finding something else - is there any line of care work which is fairly easy to sort out quickly? And if not, is it still worth putting in an application?

Would anyone be able to help? (new page made this hard to notice)
Original post by QuidditchFan

You can mention negatives. And you may even be directly asked if there were any negatives you experienced at interview.

I wouldn't just go an take a dig at the doctor though and say "one of the doctors I was working with did not have good bedside manner" as this just sounds really arrogant. rephrase it so you're not singling out anyone "after shadowing several doctors, it was clear to me that the doctors who put more effort into bedside manner tended to get better responses from the patient"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi i live in the North west and have been finding it really difficult over the past year to get any volunteering such as care home,dsiability or hospcie which are all related to medicine.If anybody has any contacts or any advice on where to get volunteering i would really appreciate it.
I have looked through the do it site, rang all care homes and hospices as well as other care facilities but all have long waiting lists.

thank you
Original post by Dr who11
Hi i live in the North west and have been finding it really difficult over the past year to get any volunteering such as care home,dsiability or hospcie which are all related to medicine.If anybody has any contacts or any advice on where to get volunteering i would really appreciate it.
I have looked through the do it site, rang all care homes and hospices as well as other care facilities but all have long waiting lists.

thank you

Which part of the north west?
Original post by 06shawm
Which part of the north west?

blackburn.bolton,darwen areas . thanks
Original post by Dr who11
blackburn.bolton,darwen areas . thanks

It was the stockport area where I knew a few places. Sorry about that mate.

Hope you find some voluntary work. You could try your local community centre for anything involving the elderly in which they would require volunteers. Possibly try your local hospital and visit the volunteers office to see if they have anything available aswell.
Original post by 06shawm
It was the stockport area where I knew a few places. Sorry about that mate.

Hope you find some voluntary work. You could try your local community centre for anything involving the elderly in which they would require volunteers. Possibly try your local hospital and visit the volunteers office to see if they have anything available aswell.

cheers for replying , I shall keep trying and hopefully something should come up
Original post by maxwellhouseeyes
Would anyone be able to help? (new page made this hard to naoqœii otice)

I think you'll find that quite a lot of people don't have wex in hospitals because it can be very difficult to get. Universities cant discriminate against you not having it because of this (this is what i was told by Bristol Uni admissions, about 3 years ago).

The key idea is that you are able to demonstrate your passion for medicine (without using that word), knowledge of the job, commitment and relevant skills (eg. Teamwork/empathy/communication) in your Ps through your wex and volunteering, which you should be able to do with what you have.

It may be worth trying to get a few days in a care home or something (they tend to be quite easy to get into) so you have recent wex to draw on.

Latest