The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ii220
I'm 15 years old, I'm aware that it's still very early but I really hope to study Medicine in the future. I'm also aware that my career choices may change in the future, but this is something that I've been set on for a while now. I know it's very competitive, so I'm willing to start doing anything as early as now to help my *hopeful* future medicine application.

I'm already a volunteer at a Saturday club for disabled children, and I am a young leader volunteer for brownies/guides and I am also in the process of setting up volunteering at a care home. I've also got a bit of work experience under my belt in a pharmacy (just simple stuff like stocking shelves) and in a chiropractic clinic (don't know how much this would help)

Is there anything else that would be beneficial for me to do that may help me in the future? All advice would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're already doing more than enough. You may be doing too much that it will start to take away from revision time and free time.
Original post by ii220
I'm 15 years old, I'm aware that it's still very early but I really hope to study Medicine in the future. I'm also aware that my career choices may change in the future, but this is something that I've been set on for a while now. I know it's very competitive, so I'm willing to start doing anything as early as now to help my *hopeful* future medicine application.

I'm already a volunteer at a Saturday club for disabled children, and I am a young leader volunteer for brownies/guides and I am also in the process of setting up volunteering at a care home. I've also got a bit of work experience under my belt in a pharmacy (just simple stuff like stocking shelves) and in a chiropractic clinic (don't know how much this would help)

Is there anything else that would be beneficial for me to do that may help me in the future? All advice would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you're older get clinical placement and work experience

I've got so far, Gynaecology, Orthopaedics, Plastic Surgery, Ophthalmology, Dermatology...all for the next two years stockpiled...
Hi, well after reading your post I think you've done quite a bit so far to help yourself with your application which is really good. Why don't you try and get work experience in a doctor's surgery where you can carry out some doctor shadowing or in a hospital when you can do some other shadowing, because that will look good on your personal statement as well. Remember to choose the right a-levels for this course as well, the main a-levels to take are Biology Chemistry, and either maths or physics.

Good Luck x
Go out with your friends. Prioritise your social life above everything.
Original post by ii220

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you are nearly sorted for your work experience and volunteering. To expand your knowledge I would recommend doing a Medicine related online course to expand your knowledge on the field of Medicine. These online courses are provided by FutureLearn and edX. You will find a huge selection of courses to choose from.

Also you could do some wider reading if you want by reading books such as "The rise and fall of modern medicine", "In Stitches", "trust me I'm a junior doctor" etc. Some of them are quite funny and will give an insight of what it's like to work as a doctor.

Good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ii220

Is there anything else that would be beneficial for me to do that may help me in the future? Any advice would be appreciated. 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

The chiropractic clinic would be a waste of time imho, especially since you've already got so much decent experience.

For now I'd carry on with what you're doing, and in a few years time try and get some clinical work experience in a hospital.

Original post by Sana_Akram
Hi, well after reading your post I think you've done quite a bit so far to help yourself with your application which is really good. Why don't you try and get work experience in a doctor's surgery where you can carry out some doctor shadowing or in a hospital when you can do some other shadowing, because that will look good on your personal statement as well. Remember to choose the right a-levels for this course as well, the main a-levels to take are Biology Chemistry, and either maths or physics.

Good Luck x

:nope:
Reply 8166
Thank you all for the replies - I'll try and take everything on board! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8167
Original post by Sana_Akram

Good Luck x

Thank you for the advice - I'm not sure when to look into work experience in a hospital/GP setting. Should I start looking into this now or should I wait a little longer (till I'm 16)? Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ii220

Is there anything else that would be beneficial for me to do that may help me in the future? Any advice would be appreciated. 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although I no longer want to do medicine, I got work exp at a GPs back when I was 15( in October) and all I did was shadowing, you could try that!
Original post by ii220
Thank you for the advice - I'm not sure when to look into work experience in a hospital/GP setting. Should I start looking into this now or should I wait a little longer (till I'm 16)? Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now
Original post by ii220

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome, I think you should wait a while, I carried out my placement in a GP and hospital in my first year if sixth form. You don't need to look into this right now.
Reply 8171
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Although I no longer want to do medicine, I got work exp at a GPs back when I was 15( in October) and all I did was shadowing, you could try that!

Yeh that sounds great - how did you go about arranging this? 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ii220
Yeh that sounds great - how did you go about arranging this? 🙂

B
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well my dad is one of the partners there so he arranged it rly. But some of my other friends asked their own GPs or asked at the medical practice( as a lot got rejections over email). It's harder for someone to say no when you're there.
Reply 8173
Original post by Democracy
The chiropractic clinic would be a waste of time imho, especially since you've already got so much decent experience.

For now I'd carry on with what you're doing, and in a few years time try and get some clinical work experience in a hospital.

:nope:

How useful do you think the pharmacy work has been?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there!

As the title suggests, which do you think is better if you want to apply for medicine?

At the moment, I have great difficulty at finding hospital work experience but I do do volunteering at a ward at my local hospital.

Thank you very much :smile:
To be honest, I think that Work Experience is better.
Especially if you shadow a consultant...
I also want to do medicine and have found a number of different placements for work experience...
Original post by homeland.lsw
To be honest, I think that Work Experience is better.
Especially if you shadow a consultant...
I also want to do medicine and have found a number of different placements for work experience...

Ahhh okay thank you

If you don't mind me asking, where have you applied and how did you do so?
Original post by MarshmallowStars
Ahhh okay thank you

If you don't mind me asking, where have you applied and how did you do so?

Well that's the thing...
I live in London, so I have orthopaedics in a local hospital
Gynecology in University College London
Plastic Surgery in London Royal Free
And surgery in Moorfields eye hospital...

The way I got these, was I spoke to family friends, all of the consultants I am shadowing are friends or friends of friends...
Original post by homeland.lsw
Well that's the thing...
I live in London, so I have orthopaedics in a local hospital
Gynecology in University College London
Plastic Surgery in London Royal Free
And surgery in Moorfields eye hospital...

The way I got these, was I spoke to family friends, all of the consultants I am shadowing are friends or friends of friends...

Wow that's a lot! Thank you very much

Good luck on you future :smile:
Original post by MarshmallowStars
Wow that's a lot! Thank you very much

Good luck on you future :smile:

My best bet is talk to any people you know who are already in medicine, family friends, relatives?

Latest

Trending

Trending