The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is what I learnt through the process of getting work experience...

Getting work experience takes a mix of luck and persistence. I was quite lucky with work experience, I was given the name and email of a specific doctor in a hospital and he organised my work experience for me (after I was told by someone else that there was no more places for work experience in the hospital). I didn't even know this person. But my work experience was organised in weeks, for some people it can take months and months. For a friend, they kept emailing and they also got work experience (but it took longer for them to organize), just be patient, keep persisting.

Utilize any "contacts" you may or may not have. Tell people you want to do medicine and that you are looking for experience. I met one of my sisters friends parents, I had a chat with them and said I was applying for medicine. Turns out they were both doctors (one in a hospital and the other with their own GP practice) and they offered me work experience. If you know a doctor or you know someone who works in a hospital (or someone who knows someone) then ask around and see if someone will help you.

When you get work experience, if you are friendly and positive someone else might offer you work experience or give you some useful information. For example, while working in the GP surgery I was offered, by a district nurse, a day with her in the community. Also, when I was at the hospital a nurse had a coffee with me on her lunch break and talked to me about working in the hospital and dealing with patients.

Once you get work experience make sure you get as much out of it as possible. Also, be willing to do menial tasks as well as. After each day I would take some notes of things you did and things you learnt and any anecdotes etc. as these will be useful when you are preparing for interviews and can't remember much from your work experience.
Original post by usycool1
You don't need to make extensive notes or anything IMO - just whenever you see anything interesting or something that makes you curious, ask about it. :tongue: And there must be a few questions you have about Medicine so ask about those too.

You'll get a small glimpse into what it's like to work in a setting like that, so see if you like it and try to enjoy - I remember really enjoying my work experience. :smile:

Original post by HopelessMedic
When I've gone on medical work experience, if found it really useful to write up all the stuff you did that day either when you've got home or earlier. Definitely try and do it on the same day, cause you'd be surprised by how much you forget.. Record stuff that may seem irrelevant as you never know when you could use it as an example for something

ah okay, thank you both of you :h:
Firstly, congratulations on getting the work experince! I remember you from another thread and how it took 100s of emails.

Anyways, take a small notebook and pen but nothing bulky in case you need to put it away if they ask you to do something.

Just write down the patients' case (no names ofc) because you never know, something interesting might happen later. Usually, the doctor will tell you about the particular case because they know you probably don't have a clue and you write that stuff down.

With regard to questions, interesting things will pop up but ask ALL of the doctors yiu come across and any med students if you're lucky things like: (this is what I asked doctors but tailor it to your needs)

- Did you get into medicine the first time round?

-What kind of volunteering and extracurriculars did you do?

- Which uni? Did you like it?

- Why did yiu choose this particular specialty?

- How to make yourself stand out on your PS?

- Why did you choose medicine?

- Any suggestions for me getting into medicine?

Stuff like that, you get the gist, have fun with your work experience!

It's gonna be boring lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you get the work experience placement? I'm also in year 11 and looking to get a medicine placement, not sure how though as it seems like all of the summer ones are likely gone by now.
Agreed with what's already said. I'd also add, if you're shadowing a particular doctor, try and stay for their whole shift. A lot of work experience will say you'll be shadowing from 9-5, but medicine isn't (generally) a 9-5 job.

Might be a bit inconvenient with transport, and don't worry too much if you couldn't do it. But I think it'd be good way to get a full 'day in the life of a doctor' type thing.
How much is enough?
I've spent a week with a consultant in various hospitals, 3 days at a dentist and I go weekly to a care home, I have a part time job and I have another one day planned. Is that enough?
Would it be worthwhile to go with a community nurse? Anyone done that? As none of the other hospitals near me will take students from where I live and the GPs here are useless for work experience!
Thankyou!
Hi
I just wanted to know if my voluntary work is enough for medical schools like Manchester, this is what I'm doing:

Charity shop volunteer for past year and continuing
Hospital ward volunteer started last month and continuing for a year (till next June)
Care home volunteering started last month continuing till next May/June
Volunteering at hospice for disabled people starting from September (when I'm 18) and continuing till next September
School study and social mentor (buddy scheme) for last year
School prefect and student governor for last year

Thanks so much 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medicapplicant
Hi
I just wanted to know if my voluntary work is enough for medical schools like Manchester, this is what I'm doing:

Charity shop volunteer for past year and continuing
Hospital ward volunteer started last month and continuing for a year (till next June)
Care home volunteering started last month continuing till next May/June
Volunteering at hospice for disabled people starting from September (when I'm 18) and continuing till next September
School study and social mentor (buddy scheme) for last year
School prefect and student governor for last year

Thanks so much 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes this is far more than enough for any medical school. In fact, as long as you have something in a caring role, anything extra won't make much of a difference.

The key is how you write about it in your personal statement. Admissions staff will be looking for your ability to reflect upon and learn from your experiences. In this regard, someone who has spent one day at a GP practice but written about it well can score more points than someone who has done weeks of work experience and volunteering but just simply listed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys
I'm about to start A levels in September and I hope to study medicine in university, so I was told that work experience at a hospice would be really useful for me. The problem is I can't find one that allows 16 year-olds to volunteer with them - only 18+. Should I keep trying to find a hospice that will allow me to volunteer with them or wait a couple years and do other work experience in the mean time?
Thanks
Sami
Has anyone got any ideas of things to do that are not in a hospital/doctors that are free and you can do in a crappy town like mine? Please?
I go to a care home and I have some (not much) experience with kids, and a job. is there anything else I could do? thanks
Original post by Lozzie97
This is what I learnt through the process of getting work experience...

Getting work experience takes a mix of luck and persistence. I was quite lucky with work experience, I was given the name and email of a specific doctor in a hospital and he organised my work experience for me (after I was told by someone else that there was no more places for work experience in the hospital). I didn't even know this person. But my work experience was organised in weeks, for some people it can take months and months. For a friend, they kept emailing and they also got work experience (but it took longer for them to organize), just be patient, keep persisting.

Utilize any "contacts" you may or may not have. Tell people you want to do medicine and that you are looking for experience. I met one of my sisters friends parents, I had a chat with them and said I was applying for medicine. Turns out they were both doctors (one in a hospital and the other with their own GP practice) and they offered me work experience. If you know a doctor or you know someone who works in a hospital (or someone who knows someone) then ask around and see if someone will help you.

When you get work experience, if you are friendly and positive someone else might offer you work experience or give you some useful information. For example, while working in the GP surgery I was offered, by a district nurse, a day with her in the community. Also, when I was at the hospital a nurse had a coffee with me on her lunch break and talked to me about working in the hospital and dealing with patients.

Once you get work experience make sure you get as much out of it as possible. Also, be willing to do menial tasks as well as. After each day I would take some notes of things you did and things you learnt and any anecdotes etc. as these will be useful when you are preparing for interviews and can't remember much from your work experience.

Hi Lozzie,

I am a mature student applying for medicine 2017. Now i recently started working at a hospital as a PA for a Consultant and my role also involves working within the department with several clinicians etc.

I wanted to ask how do you think I should go about asking for perhaps shadowing in a theatre etc or anything that may seem relevant and would do great for my application ?

I'm very lucky to get into the NHS as I tried for a good while and one of the main reasons was to get to shadow however I'm stuck as in how shall I approach ? My UKCAT is in August so I am hoping to shadow just after then.

Any advice would be great ?
Hi guys :smile:
So I have been volunteering in a primary school with different year groups, do I need the teachers to write a reference or anything like that?
Original post by geniequeen48
Hi guys :smile:
So I have been volunteering in a primary school with different year groups, do I need the teachers to write a reference or anything like that?

Only if the Medical School asks for it after you apply.
Original post by usycool1
Only if the Medical School asks for it after you apply.

Okeey, thanks.
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Hi Lozzie,

I am a mature student applying for medicine 2017. Now i recently started working at a hospital as a PA for a Consultant and my role also involves working within the department with several clinicians etc.

I wanted to ask how do you think I should go about asking for perhaps shadowing in a theatre etc or anything that may seem relevant and would do great for my application ?

I'm very lucky to get into the NHS as I tried for a good while and one of the main reasons was to get to shadow however I'm stuck as in how shall I approach ? My UKCAT is in August so I am hoping to shadow just after then.

Any advice would be great ?

Hi,

A starting point may be to ask the consultant (that you're a PA for) how you should go about it, they may be able to help you arrange it or may be able to point you towards someone who can (I think it depends on the person, most consultants I met were really supportive of people getting work experience).

Mention to the consultant that you plan to apply for medicine (if you haven't already) and that you'd love to get some work experience shadowing someone and ask if they have any tips for going about getting some work experience or if they could possibly help you.

Sorry for the late and brief reply. Not been on TSR for a while. Good luck with it all.
Reply 8235
Yeah different hospices are different rules.

I used my local one that my school always sends students to.

Ask your school teachers to see which ones the previous students went to?

Also it wasn't work experience as making tea and speaking to old people lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
i am starting my work shadowing placement in 2 weeks time in an oncology ward. for people like me wishing to shadow a consultant but with zero connection to hospital staff, i advice researching local consultants and digging for their work emails (not always easy). if you start early, contact enough of them, and make the emails short but sincere (maybe stroking their egos a little), and your intentions clear, im sure you will hear back from at least one of them.
Is anyone a HCA on A+E? If so what band, and what clinical procedures do you do, or can be trained to do?

Thinking about leaving my current ward to apply for an A+E post when I've finished my MA and one becomes available as I miss the craziness of my old SAU ward (which was merged) and want to be able to skill up more than I can where I currently am.
Reply 8238
So I've just finished my GCSEs (I'm 16) and I was wondering what types of work experiences you guys would recommend at my age atm? I've heard you can get into hospitals but I'm not completely sure..
Original post by negzi
So I've just finished my GCSEs (I'm 16) and I was wondering what types of work experiences you guys would recommend at my age atm? I've heard you can get into hospitals but I'm not completely sure..

There are a few different types of work experience that can be helpful.

Ideally you should get work experience with doctors - in either a hospital or GP setting. However if you're struggling to get much of this type you can supplement it with experience at a care home or nursing home which can also be very valuable.

Your work experience should show two things. Firstly it should show that you are applying with a realistic understanding of what being a doctor is about. Secondly it should show that you have the motivation to go out and organise something in order to get what you want.

Because getting in can be difficult, try applying to work experience in a few different settings. Apply to a hospital, a couple of GP practices and a couple of care homes. This boosts your chances of getting something useful over the summer.

With work experience in a medical setting, a few days is usually enough to learn what you need to learn. Ask lots of questions and take notes to maximise the benefit. With work experience in a care setting ongoing commitment is useful - so consider giving up a Saturday afternoon once a fortnight, for example, over a period of a few months to demonstrate your dedication.

Also start paying extra attention to health news and medical science articles - by starting early you make it easy to build up your subject knowledge ready for application time.

Hope it goes well

UniAdmissions

Latest

Trending

Trending