The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I've managed to get some W/E doing pharmacological research over the holidays. Must say, didn't have a clue what is was but after looking on wikipedia, looks REALLY interesting. I don't know any details as of yet about what I'll be doing (got it though a contact my Dad had) but was wondering if anyone thinks if this would help support my application?

I'm imagining I could say something along the lines of "it gave me a taste of science in a greater depth then A level provides and on a level closer to Medicine. Because of this, I feel I am greater aware of what a Medical degree will be like and its intensities and feel it is for me".

I imagine this will be round about the case? Do I have the right idea, is it relevant??
Reply 81
allieRAWR!
Hi, I've managed to get some W/E doing pharmacological research over the holidays. Must say, didn't have a clue what is was but after looking on wikipedia, looks REALLY interesting. I don't know any details as of yet about what I'll be doing (got it though a contact my Dad had) but was wondering if anyone thinks if this would help support my application?

I'm imagining I could say something along the lines of "it gave me a taste of science in a greater depth then A level provides and on a level closer to Medicine. Because of this, I feel I am greater aware of what a Medical degree will be like and its intensities and feel it is for me".

I imagine this will be round about the case? Do I have the right idea, is it relevant??

To be honest, anything is relevant if you can relate it to medicine and say what you learned from it, whether it's nothing to do with medicine itself like working in Primark and just learning how to interact with people, make it count in some way and it's relevant. If you can't make it relevant then what's the point of even doing it in the first place?
Yeah, pharmacology sounds really good - lucky you :wink:

Almost anything is useful for an application, but w/e is more about seeing if you really are interested in the job, rather than getting something to put on your CV.
allieRAWR!

WOW you must have been LUCKY to get that. I couldnt even secure any through family links!!!!! It's really interesting work so have fun for sure!
So hard to get work experience..!!!
I rang connexions as a last resort and they said since im 16 i would never be able to get work experience in a care home and the hopsital in my area said i have to wait until im 17.!
Aaron_1507
So hard to get work experience..!!!
I rang connexions as a last resort and they said since im 16 i would never be able to get work experience in a care home and the hopsital in my area said i have to wait until im 17.!

Strange, care homes I had some difficulty in getting but not much, and I'm 16 too. Only one turned me down on the groudns of my age. Have you called every care home in your phone book? Try going on your council website for some contacts, they managed to direct me to places that deal with disabled people and some hospices.
Finally got somewhere its a hospice and it the only one that said i could do something, quite happy :smile: Connexions said i would never get anywhere; stupid people!
allieRAWR!
Strange, care homes I had some difficulty in getting but not much, and I'm 16 too. Only one turned me down on the groudns of my age. Have you called every care home in your phone book? Try going on your council website for some contacts, they managed to direct me to places that deal with disabled people and some hospices.

How much w/e you done so far then? AS choices?
Reply 88
What's it like doing work experience in a hospice? and what do you get to do?
I have done work experience in a care home already: is it similar to this?

thanks
I wouldnt be able to tell you yet but ill get back to you on that one.
Judging from my brief knowledge of the two i would say, well at least at the one im going to, that a hospice has more trained people i.e doctors nurses whereas care homes generally just have health workers and have a doctor and nurse assigned to them for when they need them but arent there full time. Working at a hospice, i think, will give you a better opportunity to meet doctors e.g
mc4263
What's it like doing work experience in a hospice? and what do you get to do?
I have done work experience in a care home already: is it similar to this?

thanks

the hopsices i asked said only trained volunteers over 18 get to actually interact with the children, all i could do was work in the kitchens or cleaning. kitchen work might be good though, as you can probably talk to the children whilst serving them?
Reply 91
Now I've got some GP exp and pharmacy exp sorted, should I try and get some work volunteering at a care home and/or some work experience at a hospital?

tom
Reply 92
I want to carry out work experience in a hospital and have doctors names so I can write to them directly, but would it get to the doctor if I just put their name and the address of the hospital on the envelope?
mc4263
I want to carry out work experience in a hospital and have doctors names so I can write to them directly, but would it get to the doctor if I just put their name and the address of the hospital on the envelope?

That's exactly what I did about 2 weeks ago and I sent 7 letters off to various consultants. I got a phone call today saying that as soon as I'm 16 the consultant is willing to offer me one day of work experience in the hospital, shadowing. I know it's only one day, but I'm ever so grateful since I have no family contacts, unlike some other people, and it's taken me a year of writing letters and phoning up hospitals to get this one day.
Reply 94
piece_by_piece
That's exactly what I did about 2 weeks ago and I sent 7 letters off to various consultants. I got a phone call today saying that as soon as I'm 16 the consultant is willing to offer me one day of work experience in the hospital, shadowing. I know it's only one day, but I'm ever so grateful since I have no family contacts, unlike some other people, and it's taken me a year of writing letters and phoning up hospitals to get this one day.

great that's what i'll do then because i would love experience in a hospital! I have no family contacts either :biggrin:

Well done to you for getting that day too!! it may not be for long but it's what you get out of it and in one day you could see a lot!
mc4263
great that's what i'll do then because i would love experience in a hospital! I have no family contacts either :biggrin:

Well done to you for getting that day too!! it may not be for long but it's what you get out of it and in one day you could see a lot!

Yeah, definitely :smile: I also live in Manchester, like you. I went on this website: http://www.cmmc.nhs.uk/royal-infirmary/our-consultants.aspx and it has a list of consultants. Good luck and I hope you get work experience!
Reply 96
That's the website I looked at to get the consultants names!!

thanks for your help

and Good Luck to you for your work experience

:biggrin:
Nope I didn't include a CV. I just sent a letter explaining how old I was, which school I attend and why I want work experience.
Reply 98
piece_by_piece
Nope I didn't include a CV. I just sent a letter explaining how old I was, which school I attend and why I want work experience.

Any references from teachers/tutors, anything like that?
Beska

Beska

Only send these if they ask for them - you just need to send a covering letter, and maybe a cv (I sent a cv and that's what got me the work experience!). It depends, if you're writing to loads of gps/consultants then probably enclose a CV, if you're applying for a hospital's student programme or something which has an application form then it's probably unnecessary. But no harm in including it!

Latest