The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

JumpingJonny
Of the two friends I had apply, neither of them had to show any proof, I think the both also 'streched' what they had done slightly (not that you should do this).

Thanks for the reply :smile:

I guess I'll keep some 'proof' in case.
notepad
Thanks for the reply :smile:

I guess I'll keep some 'proof' in case.

Definately, I would imagine your interviewers will know if you are lieing about your w/e, it will be obvious in your replies. Aside from just putting it on the PS, your w/e is supposed to make sure that medicine is for you, and that is exactly what you want to be doing it for :yep:
I believe that St. Georges ask for some proof of work experience, as some of my friends needed to search through their drawers for some letters.

I don't know what they deem to be acceptable but I assume an acceptance letter would be OK.
I have never heard of any more proof being required then you being able to rattle on about it if questioned at interview. Some might take an opportunist line on this and claim to have done more than they actually did. Do this if you cannot get a vast amount of work experience. Make sure you have made up sensible scenarios (possibly from what you actually saw) to answer the following questions:

1) something you saw which made you really want to do medicine
2) something you saw which made you really NOT want to do medicine.
3) why you don't want to do nursing instead

I'm sure people will add other questions related to work experience that may come up.
Thank you for your replies :smile:
notepad
I am in the process of applying for work experience at a local GP; if I do get the place, do some/all universities I apply to want/need proof of work experience?

Could this just be in the form of an acceptance letter?

Thanks x

Some Universities ask for it, but not many - I think there's only Notts and SGUL that do at present (though no doubt somebody will point out if I've missed someone out). So it's worth keeping some proof just in case, and also bear in mind that anything, such as a reference letter from work experience, can be included in your overall reference - mine was mentioned in it.

I would also recommend keeping a journal of your time there if you get it, noting down things you saw and did etc., as the night before your interview you might not be able to remember exactly what you saw that showed you teamwork was important. :smile:

Medic Hopefull
trust me mate....u can see up close.....my friend went along with his uncle(surgeon) in the morining to see an operation when he was onlu 11 years old and he went in the theatre in his shorts and t-shirt without protection...!!!...so yeah...

And I'm sure that is the standard for everyone.
Well I'm in year 11 and this year we got to pick some work experience, however, I decided to choose a placement in a bank up London as I thought it sounded good. I'm - stupidly - getting worried though now as I want to do Medicine at University and I read the TSR guide on Medicine work experience that says you need to apply 6 months in advanced. So I was just wondering (as I'm in year 11 now if I go for Medicine then I'm guessing the UCAS deadline would be in Nov 2011), what is the latest time to apply for some medical/caring work experience? I know I still have a year at least to find and apply for work experience but could someone give a rough deadline of when you should apply for medical work experience at the latest. I'd hate to have the opportunity of not being able to do Medicine taken away just because of lack of experience.

Thanks and sorry for the hard-reading post.
Kingbradley6
I know I still have a year at least to find and apply for work experience but could someone give a rough deadline of when you should apply for medical work experience at the latest. I'd hate to have the opportunity of not being able to do Medicine taken away just because of lack of experience..

That really does depend youll find people on here who managed to organise work experiance within a matter of days and other that have spent months trying. Personnally id recommend applying as soon as possible but remember alot of places need you to be 16 before they will take you on.

The reason i say this work experiance isnt just about ticking a box on your application it is also there to help you decide if medicine is definatly the career for you. At the end of the day you dont want to be doing your work experiance just before the ucas deadline then think this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life thank you very much.
hi guys,

(for people who live in leicesterhsire and nearby)....have any of you successfully arracged work exp in leicesterhsire at a GP, because i have had no luck :mad: :frown: ....if any of you guys know where i will be able to get some can you please let me know!!!!!
thanks a lot

Much appreciated
I just finished my work experience, good idea to give my doctor a thank you card?
Moonkin
I just finished my work experience, good idea to give my doctor a thank you card?

I did its not necessary but a nice gesture
Dear

I am writing to you in regards to work experience within Darlington memorial hospital. I am a 1st year undergraduate biomedical sciences student at the University of Sunderland wishing to apply to graduate entry medicine. I feel that a placement with yourselves would give me a better understanding of the role of a doctor within a hospital setting before I embark on such a career. A placement with yourself would also allow me to significantly strength my application.

I am flexible in regards to dates and location of any possible placements. I hope you will carefully consider allocating a work placement for me at the hospital and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for you attention in regards to this matter

can anyone tell me if thats all right im going for Iscariot approuch and sending a copy of that to every doctors seceratory i can get contact details for
brokenangel
Dear

I am writing to you in regards to work experience within Darlington memorial hospital. I am a 1st year undergraduate biomedical sciences student at the University of Sunderland wishing to apply to graduate entry medicine. I feel that a placement with yourselves would give me a better understanding of the role of a doctor within a hospital setting before I embark on such a career. A placement with yourself would also allow me to significantly strength my application.

I am flexible in regards to dates and location of any possible placements. I hope you will carefully consider allocating a work placement for me at the hospital and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for you attention in regards to this matter

can anyone tell me if thats all right im going for Iscariot approuch and sending a copy of that to every doctors seceratory i can get contact details for

It should be strengthen rather than strength. However, I would cut out that entire bolded line as it just makes it seem as if you're doing it because you have to, rather than you want to.
Reply 1093
jonnyofengland
Is it not possible to organise work experience outside of what the council do?

well i live in adberdeenshire, the council run scheme is for aberdeenshire/aberdeen city so i would have to travel around 60miles to get anywhere else. but i will give it a go at other councils.

All the hospitals in my council have refused to do w/e outside the scheme. Its not like i wouldnt be doing it at all though and if i did it in november i would be able to talk about it at interview, is that not enough?
Medic Hopefull
hi guys,

(for people who live in leicesterhsire and nearby)....have any of you successfully arracged work exp in leicesterhsire at a GP, because i have had no luck :mad: :frown: ....if any of you guys know where i will be able to get some can you please let me know!!!!!
thanks a lot

Much appreciated

Whereabouts in Leicestershire are you? I was reliably informed that Burton hospital over the border in Staffordshire was very good for allowing people to do WE when I applied :smile:
acas13
well i live in adberdeenshire, the council run scheme is for aberdeenshire/aberdeen city so i would have to travel around 60miles to get anywhere else. but i will give it a go at other councils.

All the hospitals in my council have refused to do w/e outside the scheme. Its not like i wouldnt be doing it at all though and if i did it in november i would be able to talk about it at interview, is that not enough?

You could always put on your PS that you're planning to do such and such, and this is what you hope to achieve from it, if nothing else is available to you.
ok, I too m having trouble getting much work experience in a hospital. I know its not necessary, but I would really like to get some just to make sure this is what I really want to do. In the summer we are going upto North Yorkshire for a few weeks (hopefully). I could possibly try and get some work experience their. Has anyone got any work experience in any hospitals in North Yorkshire, or know of any hospitals that allow students?
Either write to a consultant or contact the cadetship co-ordinator, most consultants revel in the idea that pre med school student want to shadow them, think its the God-complex miself
Hey guys, I've got 2 days shadowing a radiologist. D'you think 2 days is long enough?
Reply 1099
RoadWarrior
Hey guys, I've got 2 days shadowing a radiologist. D'you think 2 days is long enough?

It depends what you learned from it about medicine/the role of doctors etc.
There are a large number of people who will have done more than this, do you have any other experience in a 'caring environment'?

Latest

Trending

Trending