The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

can i ask how much % should work experience consist of your personal statement? how much should i talk about it on the PS?
Beska
Any references from teachers/tutors, anything like that?

Nope, not included in the letter. I only provided them with a contact telephone number when they called and asked for references.
Isometrix
can i ask how much % should work experience consist of your personal statement? how much should i talk about it on the PS?

I think people say about 1/2? Although that includes both work experience, voluntary work and paid work (if you have a job) If you have a look at the personal statements on the wiki, they should give you a good idea of what to include.
Reply 103
This may be silly, but can doing voluntary work in a hospital present health risks? As you're around so many ill people, who may have contageous diseases?
Obviously there is going to be a slight risk, but to be honest the hospital won't knowingly expose you to anything that would put you at risk.
DaveJ
This may be silly, but can doing voluntary work in a hospital present health risks? As you're around so many ill people, who may have contageous diseases?

use the handwash loads of times, u dnt really get to touch any patients, the closest i got was listening to a heart murmur on an elderly lady
DaveJ

i went to a volunteering induction today and they said it's extremely unlikely because anyone with a serious contagious disease (like TB) is isolated and you won't go near them, and all the other diseases will only really be a threat if you're at risk (ie. ill - like the patients who will catch a disease in hospital are; a baby/very elderly; etc...)
lol ive thought of another question to ask here, im the least laid back person ever lol, anyways, how much will having an actual job count for? i know its what u say about ur experience that counts, but if uve never had a job will they think ur not as independent as others??
I wanna get a job, but that is mainly for the money, and not getting bored. Also, it must be good for your CV and stuff, coz it shows your independence, work well in a team, hard-working etc. You can make any experience important I think :confused:
Reply 109
Anything can be used to show personal qualities, anything.

I've experienced people putting down jobs at fast food outlets and that being fine, as long as you say what you've learnt from it.
Reply 110
If you've been employed by the same employer for over two years, its worthwhile sticking it on your PS. It shows you have the dedication for a long-term course like Medicine.
Reply 111
Just done my first half-day.

It was fantastic! Made me even more determined to become a doctor! :biggrin:
Reply 112
applied in 2007 for 2008 GEP (rejections :frown: ) and RUMS 5 yr!
2 weeks volunteering at a cambodian orphanage
a weeks work experience at my local GP,
went on rounds with a district nurse, seeing pacients in their own homes was interesting
had a couple of days in the pharmacy attached to the practice.
5 months part time volunteering for my local day center where elderly folk come for lunch and we do activities, (restbite for home carers and also good for people who live on their own to have some company)
8 months (only 1month when ucas was handed in!)working as a theatre support worker in a private hospital, saw loads of operations, gynae, urology, ortho, plastics etc.
volunteering and fundraising for the injured jockeys fund.
also a member of various clubs and societies at uni, prefect and music captain at school etc.

all they asked about in interview was the day center and the 6 months i spent travelling!
Hi, i am so desperate to see an example of a covering letter someone has wrote and sent off. Please may someone send me one? if you don't mind. :smile: please? you could always change any personal information about you too?:smile:
Anyone? :smile:
Reply 115
Hmm could you not phone places instead?
But, i was told it doesn't leave a good impression?
Told by who exactly? Phone them up, and then if they ask for a covering letter then send them one. While you're on the phone you can generally ask them what sort of thing they like to see in the letters too :smile:
Reply 118
i can pm you mine if you like, but it is quite specific :biggrin:
clank
i can pm you mine if you like, but it is quite specific :biggrin:

that would be great:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending