The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I heard a rumour, that some person rocked up to Barts and on their first day left because they couldn't handle the fact that medical students smoked and drank?
How much of a sheltered upbringing did s/he have?
For example.
Last year - 55 people failed the first year exams.
11 of these failed the resits and are therefore booted out.
You can only resit the year with extenuating circumstances. I think last year this was about 2/3 people.
Reply 23
Saffie
I dont know anyone who's been kicked out or that dropped out.

I reckon people drop out more because of the other people on the course and hence not enjoying uni.

I agree you should give uni more than a few weeks chance, but I also dont think it takes that long to gage that the people around you are nobs.

There will always be people around you that are knobs though - thats life, I don't think dropping out of a course because of the minority that make life difficult is the way to go about it.
Reply 24
digitalis
I heard a rumour, that some person rocked up to Barts and on their first day left because they couldn't handle the fact that medical students smoked and drank?
Where'd you hear that from? :cool:

Isn't it ironic who got their place. :biggrin:
Reply 25
Philosoraptor
For example.
Last year - 55 people failed the first year exams.
11 of these failed the resits and are therefore booted out.
You can only resit the year with extenuating circumstances. I think last year this was about 2/3 people.
At BL that would be 55 failing the exams, 11 failing the resits (some are ejected here, usually most get a second go), 2 failing the exams after a second try at the year.
Reply 26
Wangers
There will always be people around you that are knobs though - thats life, I don't think dropping out of a course because of the minority that make life difficult is the way to go about it.
I wasnt talking about the minority that make life difficult. I'm talking about if everyone really annoys you, there's not many people you get on with and nobody you could ever be really good friends with.

Perhaps that's more possible here because we have such a diverse cohort, in age, ethnicity and general life experiences.

As said, I dont know anyone that's dropped out, but I know quite a few people who have considered it, and it was for the reasons I'm giving. (And obviously not being 100% bothered about doing med there and then)
Reply 27
yeah we all know ppl are either booted out or bail out at the end of the year, but what i'd like to know is whether anybody succeeded in jumping/skipping a year at medical school?
Reply 28
Ender
yeah we all know ppl are either booted out or bail out at the end of the year, but what i'd like to know is whether anybody succeeded in jumping/skipping a year at medical school?

As in going up a year (and therefore missing all the content for that year plus any exams)? No. Or at least, not on a standard undergraduate course (there are a few quirks on the "affiliated" Cambridge course).
Reply 29
Ender
Hahahaha. Where do these idiots get their ideas from.
Reply 30
I would have loved to have skipped the 4th year, hmmmm, or maybe the 5th year!!!!
Reply 31
Egypt
I would have loved to have skipped the 4th year, hmmmm, or maybe the 5th year!!!!
But then we wouldn't be having dinner later.
Reply 32
Tis true. P Albert will be joing is us a little later as he's just donen some nights and has only just woken up!

I do actually remember a guy moving in to my floor in halls in freshers and by the time we all came back from Mummies and daddies he had moved out! He stayed for a massive 1 day! I don't think many people even had time to meet people they didn't like by that point!!!
50% of intake surely thats a bit harsh.
Ive only ever had maximum of 5ish people out of my year who have left the course/quit/been thrown out.
Egypt
Tis true. P Albert will be joing is us a little later as he's just donen some nights and has only just woken up!

I do actually remember a guy moving in to my floor in halls in freshers and by the time we all came back from Mummies and daddies he had moved out! He stayed for a massive 1 day! I don't think many people even had time to meet people they didn't like by that point!!!

Do you know the reason, why he left ? As thats just so quick.
Reply 35
I'm afraid I have no idea. I can only guess, perhaps he had some pressing personal issue that arose that weekend, or maybe it was just the realisation of what he was getting himself in to was enough to cause him to leave, ie. maybe his heart wasn't in it. The weird thing was that he really did move in, unpacked his bags, posters up, stuff in the kitchen, the works! Seemed a shame really, he appeared to be quite a pleasant guy...
Reply 36
Just remembered another bloke, he never came back after the first year as he had a problem with his visa. I think he was from Jamaica, passed all his 1st year exams, but wasn't allowed back in the UK to study after that to carry on the degree. Another shame (although he was significantly stranger than 1 day guy).
Egypt
I'm afraid I have no idea. I can only guess, perhaps he had some pressing personal issue that arose that weekend, or maybe it was just the realisation of what he was getting himself in to was enough to cause him to leave, ie. maybe his heart wasn't in it. The weird thing was that he really did move in, unpacked his bags, posters up, stuff in the kitchen, the works! Seemed a shame really, he appeared to be quite a pleasant guy...

That seems really strange, to go so far and then leave- hmm
Egypt
Just remembered another bloke, he never came back after the first year as he had a problem with his visa. I think he was from Jamaica, passed all his 1st year exams, but wasn't allowed back in the UK to study after that to carry on the degree. Another shame (although he was significantly stranger than 1 day guy).

Now, thats just really sad and awful. To get so far.
Reply 39
Hahahaha. Where do these idiots get their ideas from

ah yes, a 4th year medical student being rude to ppl online, rather pathetic, what? Havent you got better things to do?

I have to say, i don't think it is so impossible that no one has ever done it, just extreeeemely rare probably.

Latest

Trending

Trending