The Student Room Group

Realistically, do you need Biology?!

Hi,

I'm currently in Y12 doing my AS's and I'm really keen on studying medicine at university. BUT, i (stupidly!) didn't take Biology A-level, i'm studying:

Chemistry, Further Maths, History, English Lit

I know that loads of uni's say that Biology is not compulsay, but realistically is it needed to stand a fair chance??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78
this gives a nice overview of where doesn't need biology, so if you apply there you stand as much chance as everyone else.
you might get asked why you didn't take it at any interviews, and you might struggle more than others in the first few weeks of uni, but after that everyone will probably be at the same level.
Why not do AS biology while doing your A2s? Not doing AS biology restricts your choices for uni...
:smile:
Reply 2
No you don't need it. The AS at least is helpful though, since it broadens the amount of places you can apply to.
Reply 3
Democracy
No you don't need it. The AS at least is helpful though, since it broadens the amount of places you can apply to.

Why not???Isn't medicine biology?
Reply 4
fat_hobbit

No, medicine is medicine :p:

Dunno, it just isn't needed that much, chemistry is the one that's needed at nearly everywhere. Maybe cause it's more challenging or summat, I dunno. Which is weird since a lot more biological based content comes up in the course as opposed to chemical based. Or so the students say :p:
You could always do an AS in it next year which will broaden your options.
Reply 6
Democracy
No, medicine is medicine :p:

haha exactly what i was going to say!
imagine if there was an A level in medicine...
Reply 7
fat_hobbit

Generally, they teach you the biology you need to know. Plus vast amounts of A-level Bio is irrelevant to Medicine, hence it not being essential at a lot of places. It'll be an advantage for the first few weeks but that's about it. Some places do have it as an admissions requirement though, so you need to check carefully.
Helenia
Generally, they teach you the biology you need to know. Plus vast amounts of A-level Bio is irrelevant to Medicine, hence it not being essential at a lot of places. It'll be an advantage for the first few weeks but that's about it. Some places do have it as an admissions requirement though, so you need to check carefully.

However much I love you Helenia I have to disagree a little bit - I can tell from my teaching of certain topics if I hadn't already looked at it I wouldn't have a freaking clue what was going on!
Medicine is pretty much biology cut out the plants!
OP do AS bio as a minimum for your sanity. I know people have done it without any A level bio, but do it for your own sake :wink:
you'd manage, don't be daft!! you'd just maybe start your topics from a beginner level textbook rather than a degree level one. you'd have to read up on new topics before lectures etc. so you could follow them better but surely you're supposed to do stuff like that already :p:
Reply 10
Vjyrik
What a nice list... Omg, I could apply for Newcastle medicine without Chem and Bio :biggrin: Never gonna happen!

I wonder, are there any similar websites for other subjects that you might know of?

ahh, see this is where you should also check the prospectus, as newcastle says "AAA at A level. Subjects should include Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level. If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A)"

So yeah, you do need at least one.
Reply 11
Chemistry is needed more partly because it is challenging and also because medicines , i.e. drugs etc. are all to do metabollic reations, and otherwise. And also a lot of biochemistry is taught at uni which requires quite a lot of chemistry knowledge :smile:
Reply 12
I think you can stand a chance, but I do suggest thinking about doing AS bio...it does help!
It will help a great deal if you do AS Biology.

Plus you will (surely?) find it hard if/when you enter Medical School.

OP - also note that Maths and Further Maths aren't counted as two seperate subjects due to content overlap, like PE and Biology. Thus deffo take Biology at AS Level, so you actually have four seperate AS Levels...
_bonnie
imagine if there was an A level in medicine...

That would be insanely cool!! :biggrin:
Reply 15
You definitely don't need Biology to get offers- I've got 2 without it.
If you do do it to AS at least though you get more choice of which unis you can apply to and it will probably mean a less work catching up when you get there.
Reply 16
I wouldnt even consider medicine without Biology. I think the drop-out rate would be extremely high unless your 'gifted'.
poona
I wouldnt even consider medicine without Biology. I think the drop-out rate would be extremely high unless your 'gifted'.

Lol got any proof that that's the case?
Reply 18
Democracy
Lol got any proof that that's the case?

No, hence I used the word 'think'.

Next....
Well you "think" wrongly.

Latest

Trending

Trending