The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i just did an iq test without trying for half the questions and putting in **** answers and still scored 120

load of crap
There are different types of IQ tests and there are different types of intelligences.
Chewwy
if you're now thinking 'but wait, i have an IQ of 140, i thought that was average'... yeah, that's because you took an IQ test on tickle.com or something crap designed to pander to your ego.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

So, any suggestions on how/where you can get proper IQ tests?
Reply 23
Get this **** out of this forum.
Mensa supervised test?
Reply 25
Renal
Why would a doctor be operating on you?

Quite a few doctors are qualified to carry out minor surgery, e.g removing moles etc, so Id count that as operating.
Reply 26
If you have the motivation combined with the right work ethic - I don't see why you should let a number be the deciding factor to whether you should doctor or not.
Reply 27
I take exception to '115' as an estimate simply because there is no way that one in every four U.K. citizens could exhibit the mental aptitude required of a medical practitioner.

Instinctively, I'd expect medics to average about 130; 98th percentile seems about right.
Reply 28
Profesh
Instinctively, I'd expect medics to average about 130; 98th percentile seems about right.
You think you'd find enough people in those two percentiles who'd want to do this rubbish?
Reply 29
RJ555
Quite a few doctors are qualified to carry out minor surgery, e.g removing moles etc, so Id count that as operating.
I LOL'd.
When and how would they test it? Perhaps that's what the seemingly pointless UKCAT is for :p:
IQ tests measure your ability to take an IQ test and do well not your actual intelligance!
so its not an amazing measure

i think personally if we are comparing people 115 is abit low
Reply 32
Renal
You think you'd find enough people in those two percentiles who'd want to do this rubbish?

From among circa 1,200,000 people? I don't see why not.
eyeknow
Is your IQ below 115?

No.It is 131.
The average is 100. I'd say to be a doctor an IQ of 120ish upwards should give you good grounding, however, in my opinion this is to be a good medical student. To a good doctor I think you have to have a lot more than a good IQ.
Reply 35
Profesh
From among circa 1,200,000 people? I don't see why not.
I doubt more than 10% of the suitably aged population would want to do medicine.
Studying science must be harder and more challenging so why should they worry about an IQ test. Getting A's in your exams surely also means that you're capable of getting an IQ of 115.
Reply 37
Renal
I doubt more than 10% of the suitably aged population would want to do medicine.

The ratio of doctors to patients in the U.K. is approximately 1:440, which, granted a population of 60,000,000, gives us approximately 135,000 practising clinicians, or 0.225% of the population, or roughly 1/10 of the 2% who would qualify in terms of 'intelligence' alone.

So, surprisingly enough, it would appear that our assumptions aren't wholly incompatible after all.
Reply 38
Chewwy
look, you idiots. the mean IQ, by definition, is 100. and IQ of 115 puts you in the top 25% of the population.

should a doctor be in portion of the population? one would hope so.

if you're now thinking 'but wait, i have an IQ of 140, i thought that was average'... yeah, that's because you took an IQ test on tickle.com or something crap designed to pander to your ego.

agree...

Besides, for the most part the only skill in being a doctor is effectively treating patients after making a diagnosis. A chunk of the course could be learnt from learning and trial and error (on non living patients lol). I'd wager that a determined individual with an IQ of 100 might also succeed.
Reply 39
JK.
Besides, for the most part the only skill in being a doctor is effectively treating patients after making a diagnosis. A chunk of the course could be learnt from learning and trial and error (on non living patients lol). I'd wager that a determined individual with an IQ of 100 might also succeed.
:wtf?:

And your experience of learning, teaching or practising medicine is what exactly?

You appear not to understand the nature of the course or the job.

Latest