The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think you'll be hard pushed to find people doing that. I know people have gone from a B to an A with no retakes but not in all three subjects and definitely not up from a C to an A.
Reply 2
why not?
Reply 3
ummmm yeh that would be very hard unless they retake most of the AS modules
I think you would have to get very high in your A2 modules

however never say never
Reply 5
yeah i did some calculations and you would need to get pretty much 280 marks on average at A2 level...hmm, looks like i'll be working my ass off!! lol.
You need roughly 80% overall to get an A.

If you got a C at 60% for AS, you'd have to pretty much get full marks at A2 to make up the difference I'd imagine.

B to an A is doable though, especially if it is a mid/high B.

=D
Reply 7
Well, even with the highest possible mark for a C at AS, you'd still need to get 90% in your A2s to get an A overall. You'd have to do this while also getting As in all the other modules for your other subjects.

It's possible if you were naturally gifted in your subject (but had extenuating circumstances (medical/family problems etc) through last year) but I'm not sure why you wouldn't resit but I guess you could make it up. It's a very big ask though.
Reply 8
I went from E's to A's, but thats with retakes :/ I think you'd be hard pressed without to be honest. Why not retake anyway, the options always there isnt it?
Reply 9
Why not do retakes?
Reply 10
if you was capable of getting full marks on exams at A level then you wouldnt get Cs at AS
lucasm
if you was capable of getting full marks on exams at A level then you wouldnt get Cs at AS

The OP may have been capable at AS Level - there are other factors that influence results, such as illness, unexpected stress like a death in the family etc. It is wrong to right someone off - especially as grade boundaries are quite close on some papers. One misunderstood question and you can drop grades very easily.
Reply 12
I'll explain my situation. I didn't work hard at all whilst i was at school during my A Levels. I was pretty happy with the bbc at as level but then due to certain things which happened during my A2 year i ended up with CCC. I never went into school, didn't revise at all and ended up goign through clearing and to a university which i didnt want to go to in the first place so i dropped out. So here I am two years on going back to college in september to re-take them again. The college have said I can re-take the A2 year but im not sure what the policy is on re-taking as modules as i'm now doing them at another college.

I only need ABB-BBB for the course i want to do now but i was just seeing if it were poissible to jump to AAA. I am intelligent and I am capabable of getting AAA i just didn't put the effort in last time.
Clarence
I'll explain my situation. I didn't work hard at all whilst i was at school during my A Levels. I was pretty happy with the bbc at as level but then due to certain things which happened during my A2 year i ended up with CCC. I never went into school, didn't revise at all and ended up goign through clearing and to a university which i didnt want to go to in the first place so i dropped out. So here I am two years on going back to college in september to re-take them again. The college have said I can re-take the A2 year but im not sure what the policy is on re-taking as modules as i'm now doing them at another college.

I only need ABB-BBB for the course i want to do now but i was just seeing if it were poissible to jump to AAA. I am intelligent and I am capabable of getting AAA i just didn't put the effort in last time.

BBC at AS level would imply that your marks are in the range of 180-210. This would mean that you would need about 300-270 marks in the A2 exams. Seeing as A2s are much harder exams than AS level, i would say its is very very difficult to get AAA without retaking modules. That being said its not impossible but its very very hard.

I got BCC at AS then retook to get AAA. Im still going for AAA at A2.
Reply 14
I have gone up from a ACCE at as level to an AAB at A level. I did two resits in jan. I got high A's in both of them.
By my calculations, you need full marks (literally) to get an A (assuming you scraped a C).

Minimum UMS for C = 0.6*300 = 180
Minimum overall UMS for A = 480
480-180 = 300

My AS were BBC and now I'm on course for AAA. Retakes are too convenient.
Isn't a bigger problem that you must have cashed in your grades, and so therefore have to retake everything? If you've cashed in (which, having gone to university, I assume you have), I don't think you can just retake the A2 year, can you? I thought you had to do all 6 modules for every subject. Maybe someone can clarify this?
Reply 17
No, I just have to re-take the A2 levels. The policy on cashing in has changed.
seriously, just retake the first AS module or something? it will be really, really hard to push a C to an A with no retakes

Latest