The Student Room Group

Religious studies revision help

I am taking the short course for religious studies for specification A, edexcel but i am struggling to understand how you answer the different 6 and 8 mark questions in the different sections of the paper.

I would truly appreciate it if someone were able to explain the question types and how to structure the answers.
And what are the different sections that the questions come under?

Thank you very much,
May peace be with you all.
Reply 1
Scientific Calculator
I am taking the short course for religious studies for specification A, edexcel but i am struggling to understand how you answer the different 6 and 8 mark questions in the different sections of the paper.

I would truly appreciate it if someone were able to explain the question types and how to structure the answers.

Thank you very much,

There are several sections, I think four?
Question 1- Define a word, two marks, for instance- 'What is a communion of saints?'
Question 2- Describe how a the ten commandments show respect for God- 6 Marks
Question 3- Same as above, but more explanation think, 8 marks, might have these two questions mixed up but the middle two are definitely 6 and 8 marks.
Question 4- Your opinion question. Give an arguments for, an argument against, and then your own opinion, for example- 'Should all Christians have to live in Monasteries? Do you agree?' 4 Marks.

So it's 2 marks, 6 marks, 8 marks, 4 marks.

I also have a load of powerpoints for the Edexcel R.E Unit J specification, if you would like me to email them to you?
Go here: http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/ and look at the Religious Studies mark schemes.

Normally one "point" gets you 2 marks, so 4 "points" gets you the 8 marks. So if you know *everything* you can, in theory, get fulls marks for literally just writing them.

But it's normally safer to write more, because you can get full marks for writing a "fully comprehensive explanation" or "one explained point and another basic point" or "two developed points"
Thank you all very very much for the help that you have given me! Much appreciated, and may you all do extremely well in all of your examinations.:smile:

I am studying the unit of Islam and Christianity.

From what I understand so far-

the 8 mark question to evaluate requires;
p1 - one point of view and evidence
p2 - the other point of view and evidence
p3 - what your own view is
p4 - overall conclusion

the 6 mark question to explain requires;
p1 - one point of view and evidence
p2 - the other point of view and evidence
p3 - why different interpretations exist

the key word questions require the simple meanings we have to memorise anyway

the describe questions just need everything you know about that belief etc?

Is that about right? Or have i missed anything?

Once again, thank you all very much for the immediate and extremely useful responses you have all given me.

Peace to you.
You don't need to include your own view in any of the parts apart from part d, which is the evaluation question.
Reply 6
malsi101
'your welcome - if you were doing just christianity I would have been able to have helped you more ~:biggrin:

No worries - the fact that you replied is enough to be honest cause it gives you the impression youre not alone!
I'm doing the full course: Religion & Life by a study of Christianity and Hinduism, which may I add, is a complete pain in the ****. There is so much to learn for Hinduism, content wise, that it is really difficult to do well. Christianity, on the other hand, is predominantly common sense, in my opinion.
Is the structure really that important for the answers? Or could I perhaps just write everything i know?

I just want to limit the number of marks i lose, really.
Scientific Calculator
Is the structure really that important for the answers? Or could I perhaps just write everything i know?

I just want to limit the number of marks i lose, really.

Give me an example of a question that you could get? And I'll work out a structure.
nothingspek
Give me an example of a question that you could get? And I'll work out a structure.

If there was, for example, a question like 'Describe the different Christian attitudes towards abortion?'

Thank you,
:smile:
Reply 12
Yeh make sure your view point is different from one of your other points as this moves you up a whole level. It worked like a charm on my friend!

Also use words such as on the other hand, many believe, anglican christians think etc...

Good luck!
Actually I disagree with post #5

I'm doing full course; unit B and I edexcel- just christianity

Here you should answer the questions:

a) Definintion- easy; if unsure, might be helpful to put an example
b) three points- develop each one if possible, though no need to develop all three- as long as you have three arguments directly answering question, there's your 6 marks.
c) Explain (8)- This is the hardest question. You have to explain 4 arguments. Describing them isn't enough. Always expand on your points if possible. Make sure the 4 points you write down are clear
d) (4)- Mini essay- Write why some people might agree with the statement and why giving 2 reasons or developing one, abd then the same for people might not agree. Here, this is the only place where you give your own opinion.
Reply 14
Scientific Calculator

Thank you very much,

Im not sure about each specification but it is the norm to do this :

6 mark : A brief summary of the topic ie 'Explain attitudes to death in Islam', make sure you use a quote from hadith, Quran etc. Then Summarise. Remember it is only 6 marks.

8 Marks : Agree or disagree ? Give a reason why, quote Quran, Hadith, give an alternative on the issue ie in special circumstances abortion may be allowed....

Then give another view ie An athiests, agnostics, christians view.

Make sure you explain everything and remember it is for 8 marks, not 8 points.

PS- Note that examiners for religious studeis can only ask you the same questions with different wording, they cant cahnge a religion or innovate. So get reading and get some past papers.

Hope it helps :smile:
student!
Im not sure about each specification but it is the norm to do this :

6 mark : A brief summary of the topic ie 'Explain attitudes to death in Islam', make sure you use a quote from hadith, Quran etc. Then Summarise. Remember it is only 6 marks.

8 Marks : Agree or disagree ? Give a reason why, quote Quran, Hadith, give an alternative on the issue ie in special circumstances abortion may be allowed....

Then give another view ie An athiests, agnostics, christians view.

Make sure you explain everything and remember it is for 8 marks, not 8 points.

PS- Note that examiners for religious studeis can only ask you the same questions with different wording, they cant cahnge a religion or innovate. So get reading and get some past papers.

Hope it helps :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 16
i'm doing AQA and the exam is within half an hour...i'm scared about those long questions also, and the DO YOU AGREE ones 'cause they expect you to write loads

i think for those long questions the whole point is to keep writing and keep writing and organise your thought clearly, think that'll be fine :smile:

Latest