The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Pencil Queen
Jodrell Bank isn't too far away:smile:

And hasn't the science museum got a planetarium?

Jordrell Bank is cool, plus its owned by Manchester University so access will be easy (Although its still open to the public). I am not sure if the science musuem has a planetarium I don't remember it if it has. I'll try and find out.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
jkthorp
there are no cons!!!

I don't think you can possibly say there aren’t any cons, for example yesterday I overheard a group of quite pissed off Chemistry PHD students and tutors complaining there was a general lack of facilities for them. I don't do Genetics or Biomedical Sciences so I can't comment on your specific course, but maybe someone else can.

On a more general level, most cons would probably be connected with the university (and city) being so huge, and the problems that brings about. You probably need to weigh it up against your other options, but all round it's a good place.
Con: Manchester United
Pro: Manchester City!!!!!
Reply 23
pro:fantastic redevelopment after the bomb
con:still get lost even though i've lived here all my life!
TheChetah
I don't think you can possibly say there aren’t any cons, for example yesterday I overheard a group of quite pissed off Chemistry PHD students and tutors complaining there was a general lack of facilities for them. I don't do Genetics or Biomedical Sciences so I can't comment on your specific course, but maybe someone else can.

On a more general level, most cons would probably be connected with the university (and city) being so huge, and the problems that brings about. You probably need to weigh it up against your other options, but all round it's a good place.

IMO there arent any! but thats just me! kinda used to the big(ish) city, lived here 19 years!

and whats this about not bein able to see the stars? I'm in whitworth park and could see them last night! I think its more to do with the fact its been cloudy for almost all of the last 5 weeks!
Reply 25
yeah i saw the stars for the first time on sunday i think :smile:
Reply 26
for me the bad things have been little things that dont really matter and i dont regret choosing manchetser at all. yes it rains, but when its sunny and gloriously warm and you find a quiet patch of grass and have ice cream with people you've only known for a few months but still know inside out you will appreciate it much more than if it were continosly sunny. but it did rain a stupid amount this september and october. you cant beat shopping in manchester. great nightlife. its a relatively cheap city to live in. there are loads of people and it might feel impersonal but you will meet hundreds of people and make hundreds of friends anyway, its not like you need to know everyone you see at uni, and its nice to be anonymous sometimes, i dont think id like a small uni that felt like twitchy-curtain suburbia myself. manchester is an awesome student city, it just depends on whether its your cup of tea.
Reply 27
It has been raining all over the country though lately, I think it is unfair that people always mention the rain in Manchester.

As for the twichy curtain thing I am the ugly spotty one who is caught hanging out in indie clubs. I am also the one who keeps curling his hair on the bus,. Yes I am localy famous :tongue: (I wish!)

I think Manchester is not for the snob who can't see anything past classics at Durham and daddy's Rover 75 V6 and their parents 3 bed semi with an extension. To enjoy Manchester you have to see past the fly posters, traffic, polllution and scallies then you will be reward. You will be rewarded with some of the countries best clubs, best people, best pubs, best restuarents, best museums, best libraries, best bus network,best music scene, best football team, best skirts, best socks, best selfridges, best harvey nics, best shopping centres, best floors, best ceilings - ok I am starting to take the p*-ss.

Manchester=Best
manc is an amazin city n im so glad i picked uni there! im from the countryside so corse i miss stupid things like the sky not bein black n not seein stars n there not bein many fields n that about - but theres soooooooo many more advantages bout livin in manc!
it has got everything n mean everything except an ice-skating rink! the cinema is amazin, the nightlife is craaaaaaaaazy (ive been 2 magaluf n preferred manc!) - since ive been there ive been in all the big dance/r'n'b clubs, the cheesy clubs, the indie clubs, the small pubs - ive even been as cultured as 2 go 2 jazz clubs which is summut different!
manchester caters 4 absolutely every1 n i wud reccommend it 2 any1!!
Reply 29
There is countryside in Manchester just 4 miles way from the city centre and 3 miles directly west of Wilbaham Road of Fallowfield.

Latest

Trending

Trending