The Student Room Group

Recommended reading list for prospective Oxford law candidate...

Hi,

I am currently in Year 12 and about to sit my AS's, after which I return to school for a few weeks before the summer and begin - in earnest - work on my UCAS form.

It is my intention to apply to read Law at Oxford, amongst other universities (LSE, KCL, Bristol, Warwick, Edinburgh, Durham are all potential other choices). I have signed up for an LNAT tuition course over the summer, and secured what I genuinely believe to be some of the best work experience available. However, I am in desperate need of a reading list, to prepare me with a solid understanding (and introduce new concepts to me) before interview.

I was wondering what current Law applicants, or those studying Law at university currently, recommend as good books to have read pre-university. Ideally, of course, they should be targeted at those with no background in Law, and at an AS/A2 level of writing (though I am willing to read a few undergraduate books also).

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Deip :smile:
Might I suggest you read Anthony King "The British Constitution". It's interesting, and tutors aren't looking for knowledge of case law etc so it's pointless reading about crim, tort, etc.
Reply 2
I had a Cambridge interview for Law and they don't expect you to know much. I was given a legal problem to talk through but they look more at the way in which you think rather than any concrete knowledge you have. The only law related question I got was about the Human Rights Act, which was fairly obvious and easy to talk about.

Latest