The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
im 20 and never had a job (i havent needed to, got ema at 6th form and then loan at uni) . but now my loan is running out im in the process of looking for a job for summer but im lost at what to look for because alot of places want people with experience so im just gonna send my cv anywhere and everywhere and keep my fingers crossed.
I didn't have a job until I was 18, although I had done some babysitting before that. I did apply for a few, but I come from a small village, with no public transport so you have to be lucky in getting a job from one of the shops, only two of which will hire students.
I have a friend who never had a job until she was 22 and had finished uni.
Got my first proper job at 22 (now). Prior to this, all I did was freelance web design work. Recommend you do a job as it makes it easier for you to do a job in future, whereas if you have not done one in the past, it may be hard to settle into a job once you get one.
I had a part time job in year 13... I'm currently on my *counts* TENTH job (maybe eleventh =/)... wow... I'm only 20. I have lots of varied experience lol. :biggrin: And I've crossed off a lot of jobs and industries I don't want to work in in the the future.

Some of my friends who are my age have never had a job though so it's not that unusual like lots have people have said.
I'm 19 and have never had a job. I want to get one but have no experience. I also don't have anyone to put down as references on my (blank) CV, so don't really know what to do about that.

I never got one at school because my parents paid for a lot and I got my EMA. Now at uni I get enough to live on and because I live at home I don't have rent or anything to pay. I want to get one for experience though. I'm really shy so I hope it might help my confidence.
Inconceivable
I'm 19 and have never had a job. I want to get one but have no experience. I also don't have anyone to put down as references on my (blank) CV, so don't really know what to do about that.

I never got one at school because my parents paid for a lot and I got my EMA. Now at uni I get enough to live on and because I live at home I don't have rent or anything to pay. I want to get one for experience though. I'm really shy so I hope it might help my confidence.

Im 25 and its not much better, I hve worked before but only had a few long term jobs in the same/similar fields as each other so its hard for me to change, and was turned down from supermarkets for being over qualified.

Its a catch 22 situation I was turned down for many jobs at 16-20 years of age then Id notice people getting the job and not lasting as they were lazy and didnt do much work.
Reply 46
Jobs do give you loads of confidence, I used to be really really shy, but i got a job that involves a lot of contact with customers and requires you to talk to customers a lot, it really helped because i had no choice not to talk to people so it gives a real confidence boost. Plus it gives you experience of customer service, organisational skills, working under pressure etc or whatever job you get, which most employers look for.
I could quite happly approach a random customer and chat to them about products or help them, i would never have approached somsone i didnt know a few months ago before i got my job.
my brothers never had a job and hes 22, he wont get one til he graduates and he'll be 24 then! :o:
i got an email today about the possibility of a job in a vets! so excited!
i wish i got a job ages ago though, i could have saved up sooo much money by now!
QI Elf
I'm 18 and have never had any type of part time job etc.
I do feel a bit guilty about it because quite a lot of my friends do have jobs and I don't. Also this will seem slightly snobby but my parents earn more money than some of my friend's parents do so I don't have to get a job for money to spend etc. When I ask for money my parents usually give it to me.

When I am finished with my A Levels I intened to get a job in the summer and throughout uni, for example in a shop.

Basically is it unusual for someone of my age never to have had a job? Do you think employers will look down on this when I look for a job in the summer?

i've worked since as soon as i could so i spose it's different for me but i don't think its that unusal, there are people at my uni who haven't even got one now. I remember as soon as i turned 18 i could finally work bank details so could get a whole bunch of better jobs. Don't aim for shop work look for something a bit more interesting is my advice shop work can be boring and is definitly amongst the worst paid.
Loads of my friends have never had a job, and we're all about 17/18, so it's quite normal.
Personally I have been working since 13 :s-smilie: Started on 2.80 an hour :s-smilie:
I've had a job since i was 15 im 18 now. Actually ive had 6 jobs if you include the two i lasted a day at. haha. I enjoy working, it gives you a sense of satisfaction when you buy something that you saved for (like my car :biggrin:).

Latest

Trending

Trending