The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Or in my case next year - Harrow :p:
UCL are closing down goldsmid house, which is a shame. My old mayfair pad* :tongue:

*hovel?
ThePenguinMafia
That Imperial is packed full of excessively nerdy oriental maths and engineering students is unimportant if you don't:
-live in the same halls as them
-go to the same lectures as them
etc.

I am just going to go ahead and correct you here. There are roughly 8000 undergrads at Imperial of which 5000 are from the UK about 800 from the EU and the rest from elsewhere (outside EU and UK that is) which means that there are about 2000 oriental + other people. People like science and engineering at Imperial no point in lying about it but it is not packed out with orientals it only appears that way since they don't have anywhere else to be but in the college. Why when you go there you will see an extensive amount of Asian people but they are by no means in any kind of majority compared to the British student population.
ThePenguinMafia

Based as a whole I'd say you're crazy for thinking imperial can compete with ucl on social stuff, but on RFUCMS v ICMS then yeah they're probably about equal. One thing to remember about med school is that it's quite insular. That Imperial is packed full of excessively nerdy oriental maths and engineering students is unimportant if you don't:
-live in the same halls as them
-go to the same lectures as them
etc.

You're a tool.
Reply 64
Hehehe! You seem to have rattled the gimple cage, TPM!
Fluffy

Watch it, you:security:

:p:
Fluffy
Luckily I have my tin foil hat for protection.
Fluffy

Please explain....
Reply 68
Master Polhem
I am just going to go ahead and correct you here. There are roughly 8000 undergrads at Imperial of which 5000 are from the UK about 800 from the EU and the rest from elsewhere (outside EU and UK that is) which means that there are about 2000 oriental + other people. People like science and engineering at Imperial no point in lying about it but it is not packed out with orientals it only appears that way since they don't have anywhere else to be but in the college. Why when you go there you will see an extensive amount of Asian people but they are by no means in any kind of majority compared to the British student population.
so 'ow come the restaurant is full of chineseys whenever you go in there?
Chinatown is a good trek from imperial, you know (as is MOrecambe Bay).
Gizmo!
so 'ow come the restaurant is full of chineseys whenever you go in there?
Chinatown is a good trek from imperial, you know (as is MOrecambe Bay).

Because

master polhem

People like science and engineering at Imperial no point in lying about it but it is not packed out with orientals it only appears that way since they don't have anywhere else to be but in the college. Why when you go there you will see an extensive amount of Asian people but they are by no means in any kind of majority compared to the British student population.
Reply 70
are you implying that the orientals ave nowhere else to be but imperial? Like they wouldnt want to spend time around london.
lets be fair, we are discussing the college ere, and the fact that its full of east asian peeple. What you've said does explain why there are a lotta chinesies in imperial, but that onmly confirms what TPM said.

And where are the whiteys, then? Are they all down the UCL?
Gizmo!
are you implying that the orientals ave nowhere else to be but imperial? Like they wouldnt want to spend time around london.
lets be fair, we are discussing the college ere, and the fact that its full of east asian peeple. What you've said does explain why there are a lotta chinesies in imperial, but that onmly confirms what TPM said.

And where are the whiteys, then? Are they all down the UCL?

Yes that is precisely what I am implying. How do you explain that there are roughly 2000 of them but you see them everywhere but you don't see the British population as much?
Reply 72
ah rite. sorri. so it is full of chineseys then. i wasnt 'allucinating in the restaurant hehe.
Gizmo!
ah rite. sorri. so it is full of chineseys then. i wasnt 'allucinating in the restaurant hehe.

You most certainly were not. To be honest I thought the same thing when I was there visiting, but then I looked at the statistics and asked around a bit.The UK/EU population don't hang around the college ALL the times as opposed to the Asians. Surely you've must have read a few threads here on TSR on how they tend to form groups amongst themselves and integrate very badly with the 'natives' if you will.
Reply 74
aye. it would be much better to go to a uni wif a more integrated population, then ergo. more peeple to mix wif.

but if you were a posh chinesey who likes to live in their room then imperial is rite up your street.
Gizmo!

but if you were a posh chinesey who likes to live in their room then imperial is rite up your street.

I am sure there are a few who are normal in terms of social life suffice to say the majority is not. I do not plan to socilalise with them anyway, I intend to hang around with the other 5800 students :wink:
Master Polhem
I am sure there are a few who are normal in terms of social life suffice to say the majority is not. I do not plan to socilalise with them anyway, I intend to hang around with the other 5800 students :wink:

Why not? Most chinese people I've met at quite funny and nice. Surely they're not very sporty, they don't get wasted, they play lots of computer games and table tennis... but tbh, you're going to imperial and you're on TSR; let's face it, you're not a social king yourself.

Give them a chance, that's all I'm saying.
originalname
Why not? Most chinese people I've met at quite funny and nice. Surely they're not very sporty, they don't get wasted, they play lots of computer games and table tennis... but tbh, you're going to imperial and you're on TSR; let's face it, you're not a social king yourself.

I most certainly am not the social king. Naturally I will give them a sporting chance but when I was there I witnessed large groups chinese people an no other ethnicity represented - that in conjunction with what I have had friends tell me and with what I have read on the internet have not improved my view of them.
Reply 78
i bet they werent all chinesey though.

they may 'ave been korean, macca.
Oh grow up.

Latest

Trending

Trending