The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes, I'm sure Grad Rec (which apparently consists of ONE partner) at this firm are often to be found on this site trawling through these threads because they are so interesting and helpful to them.

BTW, I think the OP is making too much of an issue out of this. If you think you've made a mistake, just get on the phone and rectify it. Chances are, if you were to have this conversation, Grad Rec would put down the phone and go back to conducting their more essential tasks, like making tea and eating biscuits and reading Hello and OK!. Seriously, what are you worried of? That they're going to bin your application on the spot? This is shockingly bad judgement from someone with, if I recall correctly, very strong academic grades. What about some sense?

Evil_Genius
Comments as to the extent of my stupidity are welcome; they will just reinforce the overwhelming urge to bang my head against the wall.
If that's your response to what you call a dillemma, then you're not going to be a good problem solver, are you? You can't identify a genuine a 'problem'; one where you need to come up with (i), (ii), (iii) proposals and have them voted on. I think you should bang your head against the wall because of the lack of judgment your showing.

Yes, I did get out of the wrong side of bed this morning, too much alcohol consumed last night. But what were you to expect the morning after we learnt that Labour got hammered in the polls and England, and London in particular, is Tory again?
I had the same thoughts when I first read this thread: namely that the OP was massively overreacting. If they'd sent an application with "I would love to work at firm X" when they were applying to firm Y, now THAT would be a stupid mistake, this was simply an omission that the firm will happily let you correct...
Reply 22
I didn't expect them to bin my application. The point of my dillemma was choosing the option that would most likely lead them to actually *add* the information as opposed to either ignoring me or pretending to be helpful while not actually bothering to go through the process. I wouldn't ordinarily be concerned if it were a larger firm with more experienced recruitment people---the last few times I sent questions to the firm (albeit anonymously...yet perfectly legitimate ones), I did not get replies. My attempts to contact the grad recruitment person in the last few days (something around 10 calls) never even gave me the chance to talk to them in person, as I had to deal with the answering machine instead. While I appreciate your morning grumpiness (I suggest watching a clip of Boris bicycling to work may help), I assure you that your interpretation of my reasoning is way off. While I won't dispute that I'm utterly useless generally, this isn't the case in this instance.
Reply 23
Tory_boy
Yes, I'm sure Grad Rec (which apparently consists of ONE partner) at this firm are often to be found on this site trawling through these threads because they are so interesting and helpful to them.

BTW, I think the OP is making too much of an issue out of this. If you think you've made a mistake, just get on the phone and rectify it. Chances are, if you were to have this conversation, Grad Rec would put down the phone and go back to conducting their more essential tasks, like making tea and eating biscuits and reading Hello and OK!. Seriously, what are you worried of? That they're going to bin your application on the spot? This is shockingly bad judgement from someone with, if I recall correctly, very strong academic grades. What about some sense?

If that's your response to what you call a dillemma, then you're not going to be a good problem solver, are you? You can't identify a genuine a 'problem'; one where you need to come up with (i), (ii), (iii) proposals and have them voted on. I think you should bang your head against the wall because of the lack of judgment your showing.

Yes, I did get out of the wrong side of bed this morning, too much alcohol consumed last night. But what were you to expect the morning after we learnt that Labour got hammered in the polls and England, and London in particular, is Tory again?

Good Lord, that was very harsh. I don't think that the OP was wrong in asking the question. And this is coming from someone who drank her own body weight in alcohol last night. Not, however, to celebrate the introduction of cartoon conservatism to the capital.
Tory_boy

Jeez, could you BE any grumpier? That's the first and last time I'm voting Tory! Maybe OP is being a bit of a drama queen, as in it's not a big error and there's no need to worry so much, but no need to trample all over him! Be nice!
Reply 25
I really don't mind, it comes with the online-board territory. Heh, I'm used to RoF standards--- in comparison to those, he's practically singing me odes of praise.

More importantly, I can't believe you voted Tory. I was actually growing to like you.
Evil_Genius
I really don't mind, it comes with the online-board territory. Heh, I'm used to RoF standards--- in comparison to those, he's practically singing me odes of praise.

More importantly, I can't believe you voted Tory. I was actually growing to like you.

Strictly I didn't vote Tory but in effect my vote went to Boris (The Green Party bird was never getting in...:wink: ) it was a vote against Ken, not for Boris, I just don't like dictators who give my money to their mates!
Reply 27
Nana_Julia
Strictly I didn't vote Tory but in effect my vote went to Boris (The Green Party bird was never getting in...:wink: ) it was a vote against Ken, not for Boris, I just don't like dictators who give my money to their mates!

Terrorist voting.
Lord Lawz
Terrorist voting.

:confused:
Reply 29
I'm at least grateful her protest vote didn't go to the BNP. Is it possible perhaps that your chambers makes a Tory-vote a condition of tenancy:smile:? By the way, how many people are you competing with?
Evil_Genius
I'm at least grateful her protest vote didn't go to the BNP. Is it possible perhaps that your chambers makes a Tory-vote a condition of tenancy:smile:? By the way, how many people are you competing with?

BNP? *SPITS*

Competing with 3 others for 1-2 places - VOTE JULIA!!!
Reply 31
By the way, since I have you cornered in this thread, a question--if I may be so brazen as to tap into your empirical knowledge of the pupillage process.

I've been giving my long-winded solicitor plans some thoughts lately... The main reason why I thought of going down that route was that my academics weren't really stellar...however, as I've really been slaving away on revision this year, I think I might get a fairly solid 1:1 for the year. However, I got a mid-low 2:1 last year--which I can explain by having to work multiple legal jobs to pay my tuition etc, but adjusting to the pace this year. As grades are supposed to show a) academic ability per say and b) dedication/hard work necessary to achieve them, if my final year grades show the former while my excuses (:smile: ) show the latter, do you think I'll be at an advantage compared to those with a more uniform 2:1 (and how much worse than a straight 1:1 would it be?). Also, in your expertise, what would my chances be for a civil/common pupillage at a decent set, provided that my CV is otherwise stellar and I'm good at interviews?

The above sounds rather arrogant, come to think of it. However, there seems little point in being modest when asking for a realistic opinion.

P.S. --does your set help you secure a third six elsewhere?
Evil_Genius
By the way, since I have you cornered in this thread, a question--if I may be so brazen as to tap into your empirical knowledge of the pupillage process.

I've been giving my long-winded solicitor plans some thoughts lately... The main reason why I thought of going down that route was that my academics weren't really stellar...however, as I've really been slaving away on revision this year, I think I might get a fairly solid 1:1 for the year. However, I got a mid-low 2:1 last year--which I can explain by having to work multiple legal jobs to pay my tuition etc, but adjusting to the pace this year. As grades are supposed to show a) academic ability per say and b) dedication/hard work necessary to achieve them, if my final year grades show the former while my excuses (:smile: ) show the latter, do you think I'll be at an advantage compared to those with a more uniform 2:1 (and how much worse than a straight 1:1 would it be?). Also, in your expertise, what would my chances be for a civil/common pupillage at a decent set, provided that my CV is otherwise stellar and I'm good at interviews?

The above sounds rather arrogant, come to think of it. However, there seems little point in being modest when asking for a realistic opinion.

P.S. --does your set help you secure a third six elsewhere?

Evil dear, this would be better placed in the Bar thread. Nonetheless, if you get a first (what uni are you at again? I think it is a good one..?!) you should be in a pretty strong position as OLPAS only asks for your overall degree mark, as in "first" or "2.1" or "2.2"...so you shouldn't need to make any excuses! If it's really what you want I think you should go for it as you will be in a stronger position than most...
Reply 33
Are you billing a solicitor for this time by any chance?:smile: Thanks for the response...

I believe you misunderstood me, though--my point was that I'm not likely to get a first overall (due to the 2:1 in second year...which I can explain away easily enough) but rather a good first in third year. I guess if OLPAS doesn't ask for the breakdown, that'd actually work against me. I'm rather surprised it's just '2:1' etc....that seems remarkably imprecise for an application process that places so much emphasis on marks. Is there perhaps a way to slip in my year-by-year classification in there, somewhere? Oh, and I'm at Durham, by the way.

I didn't post in the Bar thread as I'm afraid Wanderer will jump in to start a discussion on the ethics of s. 3234234 of the Garbage Disposal Act 2008 in the context of statutory interpretation principles set out in the House of Lords' majority ruling in Bore v. Tedium.
Evil_Genius
Are you billing a solicitor for this time by any chance?:smile: Thanks for the response...

I believe you misunderstood me, though--my point was that I'm not likely to get a first overall (due to the 2:1 in second year...which I can explain away easily enough) but rather a good first in third year. I guess if OLPAS doesn't ask for the breakdown, that'd actually work against me. I'm rather surprised it's just '2:1' etc....that seems remarkably imprecise for an application process that places so much emphasis on marks. Is there perhaps a way to slip in my year-by-year classification in there, somewhere? Oh, and I'm at Durham, by the way.

I didn't post in the Bar thread as I'm afraid Wanderer will jump in to start a discussion on the ethics of s. 3234234 of the Garbage Disposal Act 2008 in the context of statutory interpretation principles set out in the House of Lords' majority ruling in Bore v. Tedium.

Ok, I get you now, I thought you were at a uni where only final year marks count...shame you're not! Don't worry, there's a box where you can put anything you want considered, for people without overall firsts the norm is to put all the subjects you did get firsts in, basically anything to convince them that you are a "first" student. I imagine the form is pretty annoying for people with high 2.1s, you end up having to click an option that is the same as that clicked by the person who scraped 60, there should be an "I got 69%!!!" option if you ask me! Even still I think you are in a pretty strong position to just give up without trying, and MOST chambers will read your "I got a first in third year" box...

Completely understand why you posted here, though am a particular fan of s.3234234 :biggrin:
Reply 35
Thanks, you're a star as always. Nobel prize anyone?

I think I tend to undervalue myself a tad--being foreign, I imagine this giant conservative conspiracy to bar me from the Bar (no pun intended) based on my accent etc. (which isn't at all supported by my mini-pupillage experiences). Still, I'm going to spend a third of my salary next year on RP-elocution lessons just to be on the safe side. I'm also going to get to do tribunal advocacy as part of my job next year, which I think will look better than the standard, artificial mooting competition experience.

Thanks again for the help. Oh, and you called me 'dear':smile:
Evil_Genius
Thanks, you're a star as always. Nobel prize anyone?

I think I tend to undervalue myself a tad--being foreign, I imagine this giant conservative conspiracy to bar me from the Bar (no pun intended) based on my accent etc. (which isn't at all supported by my mini-pupillage experiences). Still, I'm going to spend a third of my salary next year on RP-elocution lessons just to be on the safe side. I'm also going to get to do tribunal advocacy as part of my job next year, which I think will look better than the standard, artificial mooting competition experience.

Thanks again for the help. Oh, and you called me 'dear':smile:

Nonsense, I think they like having us foreigners, it ticks their diversity boxes :wink: Elocution smellocution, unless your speech isn't CLEAR, it doesn't matter if it doesn't sound like the BBC...
Reply 37
You're a foreigner yourself? I never would have suspected. No, there isn't an issue with clarity, although it's a rather exotic accent--I don't exactly sound like I was raised on fish and chips and tea:smile:
Reply 38
Does an accent potentially count against you at the bar??? Are you sure they don't discriminate? I don't really have one anymore at all but I'm a little worried - it's not cut glass English.
Reply 39
I take it you're Russian? Well, you could always get in on all that commercial litigation Berezovsky's always waging against his fellow expatriate thief-barons.

Latest

Trending

Trending