The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Perhaps you could take the indirect route to financial help. You're mum could provide you with some funding for uni whilst being supported by your step dad.
I agree with you, it's not fair to ask this man to take on you financially for the reasons you said i.e. you aren't even his daughter.

But I think if he is happy to do it, then I would be very grateful.

Good Luck with your studys
Reply 22
Reilly
ahhh alas....drama student 40 hours a week and variable days.....no jobby for reilly.

And yes there are people in much worse financial situations....but just because someone else has had their arm chopped off doesn't mean your chopped finger doesn't hurt....I'm sorry I really hate that logic.

Basically I'll be fine...no I can't ask my father for money cause he's a dick and he won't give it to me (he's idiotic and accidentally well off - and won't give me money cause he doesn't see "what he will get back out of it"...it's a very complicated personal situation). My stepfather will help but I'm just saying I don't think it's fair he should have to...he works hard for his money and shouldnt be obligated to spenf £15,000 on a kid that a)isn't his b)he only met a few years ago and c)isn't even a 'kid'.

And yeah about the whole parents going to extreme measures...a director that I used to work for had to re-mortgage his house for his kids to go to Drama school and uni.

Ah, well there is always the holidays to work and if your university has a student union, which hopefully it has, you should be able to get a job that has increadibly flexible hours and lets you just take weeks of work or work an entire week if you want! :smile:
I'm studying Physics at Imperial, 3rd year now, and believe me, it's a lot of hours, especially with lab. You never know when part of your equipment will go up in smoke and you need to redo the experiment that lasted 4 weeks but only have one day in which to do it. But the work at the union allows me to work around my degree. It's rubbish work and rubbish pay, but hey! It sees me through uni just fine! I really recommend to everyone they try and get a job with their student union! :smile:
L i b
That's only conceivably because of their own fault in getting themselves into unmanageable debt or something similar, or simply by living beyond their means.
That may be true, but still means they can't afford to help their children, who suffer as a result

Latest

Trending

Trending