The Student Room Group

MSc at King's College London

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody can give me any opinions about the MSc in Int. Management at King's College London. I know that the university has a great reputation overall but it is not particularly famous for business and management studies.

What kind of career prospects would I have with such a degree? How good is the job placement after finishing that degree? I would think that studying close to the City would give good employment prospects but I am not sure if the school has good connections with employers. Their website really doesn't offer too much information about the course. I would appreciate any comments from anybody who took the course or has any information about it. Thanks in advance for your help.
Edit/Delete Message

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I have the same questions as you do. I talked to someone very briefly and, as far as I know, the connections are non-existent. I've also heard of lack of "real" career help (like career service etc.).

However, I was also told that the teaching is superb.

I guess, MSc Int. Mngt students need to fend for themselves after graduation...
Reply 2
my impressions of kings when i went there for my particular course is that they do try to forge links with the city but the companies are not the biggest and most prestigious.

I think the onus will be on you to search out opportunities.
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies guys. Any other opinions?
Reply 4
Many of my friends graduated with an MSc in International Management last year. The course wasn't organised very well, but lecture/seminar groups were relatively small. The teaching quality was reportedly good.

I was also accepted and attended an open day last Summer which definitely put me off from enrolling. The calibre of the students is nowhere near that of Warwick (where I ended up going). I am not biased, KCL was my top choice (after being rejected from LSE). Also, only one student from the 60-or-so cohort managed to graduate with a distinction.

With regard to the job prospects, it pretty much depends on your own merit and motivation. A few students last year managed to secure positions on well-regarded graduate schemes in big MNEs. Most, however, opted for direct-entry jobs or went back to their home countries.

I don't know about the career service itself, but I don't think it was very visible last year. However, as a KCL student, you are granted access to recruitment events organised for University of London students. For example, Lazard invites KCL, UCL, LSE and Imperial students to their event.

What other options do you have?
Reply 5
Thanks for all your input guys. I got accepted at Edinburgh for an MSc in Management and I think I am going to go with that. I was also accepted at Royal Holloway and some lower tier schools. So the choice is really between Edinburgh and King's. From my research it seems like Edinburgh has a better business school and much better links with industry hence better job prospects. Do you agree with my observations?
Reply 6
armoran
Thanks for all your input guys. I got accepted at Edinburgh for an MSc in Management and I think I am going to go with that. I was also accepted at Royal Holloway and some lower tier schools. So the choice is really between Edinburgh and King's. From my research it seems like Edinburgh has a better business school and much better links with industry hence better job prospects. Do you agree with my observations?

I wouldnt agree that edinburgh has better links, especially in london - i think kings will tip the balance in london for networking and links.
Reply 7
I think the whole "links to the City" is a rumour. What kind of networking do you want to do anyway? Oxbridge and LSE apparently have the best recruitment fairs but it's not likely that the companies will take your CV anyway. You'll still have to apply via the normal route.
Reply 8
Hi guys, that's useful information. The MSc Int'l Mgt course at King's is just about 3 years old (correct me if I am wrong), hence they haven't got their act together. It is now being parked under the same school as public policy, which King's is better known for, along with other disciplines like law etc.

King's is supposed my last resort if LSE/Warwick/Manchester doesn't take me in. I might even plunge into the deep dark hole (that King's management courses apparently are like) even if Manchester/Warwick offers me, just because I want to be in London.

King's for business isn't that bad, is it? What have you heard about their mgt/biz courses at undergrad level? Is it near-zilch compared to LSE/WW/MAN too?
Reply 9
If you want networking and good industry links go for London Business School, no one can beat them on that front. Though no one can beat them on fees fron either.
Reply 10
We all need to undergo the GMAT to even try for LBS. I'm not going through all that trouble. Besides, at 27 this year, I'm a bit archaic for the majority of the MSc Mgt students, I think.

It's not just LBS that offers networking and good industry links... many other top schools offer that too. In the end, it all depends on you, your capabilities and (maybe even sex) appeal.
Reply 11
Apparently King's College has raised it's entry standards quite a lot (probably because it has done well in international uni rankings lately). I have an offer for Msc in International Management with a condition of receiving 65%.

It is rather high condition since I also have an offer to Warwick for MA in Management & Organizational Analysis and they only require 60. I'm also in waiting list for LSE MOG.

If I don't receive an offer from LSE, I will most likely go to Warwick since they have an actual Business School, which is from what I know, much better than King's in business studies.
Hey guys,

I'd like to know of King's repute as a university......i'm not talking in terms of the rankings,their programmes and departments etc....just there reputation..esp. amongst other uk uni's..and what other uni would it compare to. I've gotten into king's into their MSc Accounting and Financial Management. I am an international student, so i'd like some general views on kings, and their graduate prospects.

Finally, I got into warwick as well, but choose kings over it...was tht a good decision?

Thanks alot.
Reply 13
matiquex
Apparently King's College has raised it's entry standards quite a lot (probably because it has done well in international uni rankings lately). I have an offer for Msc in International Management with a condition of receiving 65%.

It is rather high condition since I also have an offer to Warwick for MA in Management & Organizational Analysis and they only require 60. I'm also in waiting list for LSE MOG.

If I don't receive an offer from LSE, I will most likely go to Warwick since they have an actual Business School, which is from what I know, much better than King's in business studies.

Hey dude, did u eventually make it to LSE MOG?
Reply 14
cpl.fir
Hey dude, did u eventually make it to LSE MOG?

Nope, but did make it to my second choice of course which is Msc in IER & HRM at LSE. Sticking with that one.
Reply 15
matiquex
Nope, but did make it to my second choice of course which is Msc in IER & HRM at LSE. Sticking with that one.

Lovely, maybe I'll bump into you at school! :smile:
I'm a current MSc IM student, you may contact me with regards to any specific question you may have. Just correcting cpl.fir, the programme has been around since the beginning of 2000s.
Reply 17
Original post by wallstreetmonkey
I'm a current MSc IM student, you may contact me with regards to any specific question you may have. Just correcting cpl.fir, the programme has been around since the beginning of 2000s.

Could you please tell me about MSc robotics course reputation in KCL?
Original post by lucifer666999
Hey guys,

I'd like to know of King's repute as a university......i'm not talking in terms of the rankings,their programmes and departments etc....just there reputation..esp. amongst other uk uni's..and what other uni would it compare to. I've gotten into king's into their MSc Accounting and Financial Management. I am an international student, so i'd like some general views on kings, and their graduate prospects.

Finally, I got into warwick as well, but choose kings over it...was tht a good decision?

Thanks alot.

Hi Lucifer,

Can you please advise how is the MSc in Financial Management? Was the program good?

Reply 19
Hi I am currently very unsure if I should go to KCL. I was admitted to MSC International Management, but deferred my offer due to work commitments. I was wondering if you can advice me on how was the course and if it did help for your professional development?

I know this post is very old but I hope I could get a bit of advice.

Thanks !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending