The Student Room Group
You need to do Chemistry and one other science in order to read Medicine at university. General studies is not counted as an AS Level or as an A Level (I think). Most people tend to choose Chemistry, Biology, and then 2 other subjects. Sociology and Theology would be fine, I guess. She may be better off doing something like another language, English, History, Geography etc in place of Sociology or Theology.
Reply 2
Have a look at some of the entry requirements on uni websites. She should really do another science, preferably biology. King's for example, want you to do Chemistry and Biology (with at least one to A-level standard).
Reply 3
Do Bio, Chem and another rigorous, theory based subject. Don't know whether theology and sociology count.
Reply 4
Chemistry is basically a must, so its good she has that.
General studies isn't really counted, and as most places ask for 3 A2 and 1 AS, she will need to pick another subject as well.
Biology isn't needed by some places, but not doing it to AS at least will really limit their university choices.
If she gets interviews, she may well be asked about her subject choices and will need good reasons other than "i can get As in them".
:smile:
Chemistry and Biology would be really good - if she doesn't want to do biology AS then how can she want to be a doctor?
Getting an A in theology/sociology won't help a doctor.

English Lit, Maths, Philosophy?
Reply 6
hmmm those subjects are abit ''micky mouse'', thats just my opinion though!
Reply 7
I did sociology A level and it has been very useful for medicine. I don't know anything about theology, but at least it would stand out. I'd swap general studies for biology, but she might not have a choice about that.
i did philosophy and it comes up all the time. make sure you're doing 4ASs (plus general studies if you want) and it's probably best if you have chemistry and biology to AS at least. of course you can get away without but i don't see why you would other than to be deliberately obtuse.

Latest

Trending

Trending