The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Somewhere, deep down there is...

But congratulations to all who did get in :biggrin:
Reply 81
So...people who went last year...what exactly did you do?
What were the rooms like...was it the college rooms...single/ensuite?
Reply 82
__Katy
Somewhere, deep down there is...

But congratulations to all who did get in :biggrin:

sorry to hear about them not recieving your application!
Reply 83
If anyone's interested

Thank you very much indeed for applying to this year's summer school at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. I am very sorry to have to tell you that we have not been able to offer you a place. I realise that you may be disappointed by this news and would like to take the opportunity to explain something about how we made our decisions.

We received an unexpectedly large number of applications for the summer school this year which means that we are in the difficult position of having to turn down a large number of extremely promising and very well-qualified students. This year, towards 600 students applied for the 100 summer school places available. Astonishingly, this means that application to the summer school was rather more competitive than application for an undergraduate degree for which there are, on average, only four applicants per place. Where individual schools have sent several summer school applicants it is likely that at least some of them will be disappointed. We had hoped that most schools would have at least one of their applicants admitted for the summer school, but even that has not quite been possible due to numbers.

The standard of applicant was universally high this year, and it is very important that those who are turned down are not discouraged from applying to the very best universities in the country. Failure to secure a summer school place carries no implication whatsoever that a student might not be accepted for an undergraduate degree here. Indeed, I should be delighted if many of this year's unsuccessful summer school applicants went on to apply to Cambridge and to Caius for an undergraduate degree, and I am sure that if they were to do so then some would be admitted. To emphasize, there is no doubt that many students whom we are turning down for a summer school
place have academic profiles and supporting references comparable with those of successful candidates for undergraduate study at Cambridge. I have written to the Head of Sixth Form at every school to have sent a summer school applicant expressing this same message.

Again, many thanks for your interest in Cambridge and Caius. Whilst we are unlikely to be able to provide detailed feedback on summer school applications, I should be pleased to answer any specific questions about application to Cambridge for undergraduate study. Details of the College
are available at http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/ and details of all aspects of University admissions are available at http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/

I wish you the very best in your future studies and hope perhaps to meet you at an open day or admissions event later in the year.

Andrew Bell

--
Dr Andrew Bell
Tutor for Admissions
Director of Studies in Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic
Gonville and Caius College
Cambridge
CB2 1TA

tel: 01223 332440
fax: 01223 332456
Reply 84
Has everyone who got in replied?
I did, just wondering when we will get proper details
Reply 85
YAY! I got in for Medicine :biggrin:
Judging from the email I got, there's 22 people on that subject stream...
Anyone else here who got in for Medicine?

Really looking fwd to meeting all of you who got in.

Sorry to those of you who didn't make it, but then again there were 600 applicants... nothing to stop you getting into Cambridge for real when the time comes...
Reply 86
I've replied as well but don't have a scooby as to what's actually going to happen once we get there re. accommodation, structure etc. I can only assume we will get letters back in a couple of weeks or so. Are there any people who went on last year's one able to throw light on this?
Reply 87
Krazysheep
I've replied as well but don't have a scooby as to what's actually going to happen once we get there re. accommodation, structure etc. I can only assume we will get letters back in a couple of weeks or so. Are there any people who went on last year's one able to throw light on this?

Yeh wondering the same things as you, thats why I asked earlier, just wanted to know what is going on

I'm guessing emails will come soon again as to what is going to happen (hopefully) :rolleyes:
Reply 88
I got in for medicine :smile: Anyone else apart from me and Connie? I'm really looking forward to this actually ! :biggrin:
Reply 89
hay, i went last yr 4 maths so i thought i'd attempt 2 fill u in accom wise :smile:

we stayed in the Stephen Hawking building, which v nice with ensuite, but i think it only has like about 80ish rooms so i don't no wot they'll do with u this yr cos there r more of u :s-smilie: (there were only 75 on ours)

but i completely loved the maths course, the content was tough (but made a v welcom change from dull As levels!) and the maths fellows are really nice!

also re the artical, which says a handfull found places elsewhere in cambridge, i know of 2 who did maths who applyed 2 other colleges and got accepted there, and a further 3 (who also did maths) and applyed 2 caius and got pooled elsewhere, so maths wise anyway lots of offers around! (oh i have an offer at caius btw :smile: )
Reply 90
smilepea
hay, i went last yr 4 maths so i thought i'd attempt 2 fill u in accom wise :smile:

we stayed in the Stephen Hawking building, which v nice with ensuite, but i think it only has like about 80ish rooms so i don't no wot they'll do with u this yr cos there r more of u :s-smilie: (there were only 75 on ours)

but i completely loved the maths course, the content was tough (but made a v welcom change from dull As levels!) and the maths fellows are really nice!

also re the artical, which says a handfull found places elsewhere in cambridge, i know of 2 who did maths who applyed 2 other colleges and got accepted there, and a further 3 (who also did maths) and applyed 2 caius and got pooled elsewhere, so maths wise anyway lots of offers around! (oh i have an offer at caius btw :smile: )

Thanks a lot for that :smile:

I'm going for maths this year, so now I'm getting really excited!

Anyone heard any more back from them yet?
Reply 91
Good to finally get some info. Nothing back yet from them.
Reply 92
yeah...i got in2 the medicine one aswell :biggrin: bt ent gt ne new info...if ne1 duz then write it up yh? kwl...luks lyk bout 22 of us got in2 it tho...wow...cnt wait!
Reply 93
Just to let everyone know, you'll probably get warned for text speak.
A few at my college got in. It was quite bizarre really cos a girl in my double maths class who can barely do C1 (and just scraped a B) and wants to do a maths degree (?) got in. I can only conclude she must've done extraordinarily in her GCSEs since a friend of mine who did very well at GCSEs and is one of the top in our year at maths, did not get in. It's just strange because I didn't even know the girl was applying to cambridge until she told us about the summer school cos right from the start of the year I pegged her as well... not all too smart, at maths anyway. I honestly have no idea what she's like in her other subjects.
Reply 95
anyone got any more back yet ...
Reply 96
oh also i don't think i heard anything more form Caius untill like 2 weeks before the acctual summer school (well if my memory surves me correctly) but then again i think we had to apply later because i didn't find out i'd got a place untill the last week of school (2nd week in july here in LEICS)
Reply 97
So, everyone else get the email today then?
Reply 98
can anyone else not open the four 0.3 KB attachements
if you can, is it anything important?
Reply 99
can anyone else not open the four 0.3 KB attachements
if you can, is it anything important?

All my attachments open up fine.

I'll attach them here, if you like

Notes for students.doc
Outline timetable.doc
Code of Conduct.doc

The map was too big to upload, it just shows where Harvey Court (where the summer school is held) is in relation to the main Caius site. You could probably find the map on the cambridge website

Latest

Trending

Trending