The Student Room Group

sounds stupid but....

how exactly should i revise?
i know for things like maths past papers are the best thing but for subjects like science how do you revise all the factual stuff etc...
also what are your best revision techniques?
how many hours should i revise a day and in what time slots to remember the most?
Cheers =D
x x x

Scroll to see replies

indie_couture
how exactly should i revise?
i know for things like maths past papers are the best thing but for subjects like science how do you revise all the factual stuff etc...
also what are your best revision techniques?
how many hours should i revise a day and in what time slots to remember the most?
Cheers =D
x x x

Mind maps, mind maps, mind maps, for Science anyway.
make sure you just cover the entire Science syllabus. Mind maps/fancy notes often backfire and get you for time so just try reading through it, asking about what you don't understand, and writing it out until your sure.

doing past papers in Science are just as important as in Maths - if you don't practice being precise you'll lose so many marks!
Reply 3
Good textbooks are the best option.

I don't bother with the rubbish they try and persuade us into doing i.e ..revision timetables... 30 mins revision everyday...

stupid stuff like that, just don't do it. For science, try and remember basic stuff like simple chemical reactions ect ect

good luck
Make revision notes (bit late now :s-smilie:) and read 'em through before the exam. Include any diagrams and do past papers.

People usually remember the most when they revise early in the day, and they're not hungry/thirsty/distracted etc., so no music unless it's classical!

Hope this helps :wink:
In seriousness. All people learn in different ways, i would suggest googling it for methods trying a few out and seeing how you get on the with them.

In my usual attitude. Meh. It's GCSE it's easy. You don't need to revise. Start your summer holidays now, you might aswell :wink:
ChrisLincoln
In my usual attitude. Meh. It's GCSE it's easy. You don't need to revise. Start your summer holidays now, you might aswell :wink:

I'm not sure that's the best approach - next year when even the Ralph Wiggums are going to college and you're stuck at home because they rejected your Cs and Ds, you'll wish you hadn't.
ninety_nine
make sure you just cover the entire Science syllabus. Mind maps/fancy notes often backfire and get you for time so just try reading through it, asking about what you don't understand, and writing it out until your sure.

doing past papers in Science are just as important as in Maths - if you don't practice being precise you'll lose so many marks!

I totally agree. I know a lot of people learn visually, but when it comes to revising I wouldn't bother with mind maps etc. They are far too time consuming and you could be spending your time on useful revision. :smile: Once you've spent hours on a mind map, you are tired andrealise you learnt nothing in the 3hrs you have been sitting there colouring in.lol

As for the amount of time you need to revise, that really depends on how much of the subject you know and how fast you are at learning/confident you are with the subject.

Personally, I am revising every break i have in between lessons. My lessons take up about 4-5hrs of my days atm, so I am probably spending around the same amount of time revising in my spare time (until 8-9pm). :rolleyes:

When I go on study leave in 2 weeks, I will be revising from 9am - 11pm (with breaks). I know it sounds extreme, but as long as you have breaks if you feel stressed or tired...you should revise as much as possible. :smile:
Muppety_Kid
I'm not sure that's the best approach - next year when even the Ralph Wiggums are going to college and you're stuck at home because they rejected your Cs and Ds, you'll wish you hadn't.

Seen as though i currently have B's at a level, before sitting final exams and 5 top university offers. I think i can safely say that i did exactly that for GCSE, and did perfectly well.
ChrisLincoln
Seen as though i currently have B's at a level, before sitting final exams and 5 top university offers. I think i can safely say that i did exactly that for GCSE, and did perfectly well.

Yes you did well, but can you honestly say you couldn't have done any better?

I've worked like mad, and upon leaving high school I'm predicted as all As and A*s, and I'll have 3 A levels. I can honestly say there's nothing I would change - and I certainly don't want to risk my grades by slacking off over the next few weeks.
Muppety_Kid
Yes you did well, but can you honestly say you couldn't have done any better?

I've worked like mad, and upon leaving high school I'm predicted as all As and A*s, and I'll have 3 A levels. I can honestly say there's nothing I would change - and I certainly don't want to risk my grades by slacking off over the next few weeks.

As you can see from my post i said "In my usual attitude" my actual advice was already above it :wink:.

And aslong as you get three C's at GCSE, if your going on to college/uni it really doesn't matter what you got. Because no-one will ever mention it again. You need the C's to get into most colleges, and some uni's ask to have at least a C in those three. It's just hyped up nonsense! Biggest waste of two years of potential learning time :P.

And yes i could technically have done better, but i didn't get any C's..let alone D's. So for zero effort, it worked out quite well.
Everyone is different, but personally I like to be able to walk into the exam hall knowing I've done everything I can, not just leaving it to fate. It catches up with you sooner or later, whether that be at GCSE, A Level or Degree level...there will come a time that you actually have to revise. :rolleyes:
ChrisLincoln
As you can see from my post i said "In my usual attitude" my actual advice was already above it :wink:.

And aslong as you get three C's at GCSE, if your going on to college/uni it really doesn't matter what you got. Because no-one will ever mention it again. You need the C's to get into most colleges, and some uni's ask to have at least a C in those three. It's just hyped up nonsense! Biggest waste of two years of potential learning time :P.

And yes i could technically have done better, but i didn't get any C's..let alone D's. So for zero effort, it worked out quite well.

Medicine is an exception to that rule. :rolleyes:
Emmalouise1990
Everyone is different, but personally I like to be able to walk into the exam hall knowing I've done everything I can, not just leaving it to fate. It catches up with you sooner or later, whether that be at GCSE, A Level or Degree level...there will come a time that you actually have to revise. :rolleyes:

Agreed, but GCSE isn't that time :P.
I think the best idea is to go through your revision notes, textbooks etc. and create 1 or 2 pages for each topic with all the vital facts. Memorise these as best you can; you could use visual triggers (images or mindmaps) or do it through auditory-- record the facts and listen back to them until they are firmly in your mind. Then grab a couple of pages of A4 and regurgitate all your knowledge in simple note form.

Then download some pastpapers and make sure you can apply your knowledge to the Qs. Continue repeating this until you are getting 90% + in every paper (or less, whatever grade you are going to be happy with).

Good luck.
I tend to read the whole syllabus 3 times, supplied by school then read the CGP syllabus or another book which differs from the original. As they can explain terms better, this usally take 6 hours or so then do a past paper, mark it and see which areas I was weakest in then read those sections another 3 times do another past paper and check if there is any notable improvement. :smile:
ChrisLincoln

For you, yes. My main point was that that method doesn't work for everyone. Admittedly when I posted I assumed you were a lazy 15 year old who didn't really care about going to college :s-smilie:
ChrisLincoln
Agreed, but GCSE isn't that time :P.

I see what you mean, GCSE's are NOT everything but I still believe if your disciplined early, your preparing yourself for A Level and Uni etc. Otherwise I think it will be a big shock once you get into A Levels or Degree and you don't know how to revise properly.
Also forgot to mention-- read examiner's reports. They'll show you where all the pitfalls are.

And to the 'GCSEs don't matter' person-- they do if you want to get into a very good university. Durham, Oxbridge, Warwick etc. aren't going to look at you if you've got three Cs.
Muppety_Kid
For you, yes. My main point was that that method doesn't work for everyone. Admittedly when I posted I assumed you were a lazy 15 year old who didn't really care about going to college :s-smilie:

I often feel like a lazy 15 year old anyway, so it's all good. I just feel sorry for my friends and girlfriend they have to put up with me!

Hrm. I bet i get warned for spamming this thread with pointless none OP comments. Ah well :smile:

Thanks for the banter!

Latest