The Student Room Group

Party Scene at Oxford...=))

Hey! I had this bet with my friend who is going to go to Dartmouth which is known for its crazy-super cool frat parties but she still claims that at Oxford there are much better parties.(she also thinks that thats the case with Europe in general) I thought that it is not that possible because of the work load and shorter terms.SO now I wonder if that is true at all? Do Oxford kids work hard, party hard? Whats the party scene like? Clubs/Pubs or House parties? I know that it is funny question but it is a bet so...lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
.....riiiiiightt
Reply 2
The banging parties are the only thing Oxford is known for!

Nobody would even consider the place otherwise. I mean we know that people don't go there for academic reasons.
Reply 3
nofo
You can do a BA in Party Studies at Oxford. So it must be pretty banging.

According to various student sex surveys, the one thing we ain't is banging. :wink:
Reply 4
matthew_mi
Hey! I had this bet with my friend who is going to go to Dartmouth which is known for its crazy-super cool frat parties but she still claims that at Oxford there are much better parties.(she also thinks that thats the case with Europe in general) I thought that it is not that possible because of the work load and shorter terms.SO now I wonder if that is true at all? Do Oxford kids work hard, party hard? Whats the party scene like? Clubs/Pubs or House parties? I know that it is funny question but it is a bet so...lol

The only "frat" parties in Oxford are ironic faux frat parties thrown by visiting American students. If you want to go out and party/go clubbing every night, it's possible - whether you want to/are able to afford to/can still get a pass in Prelims or Mods (first year exams) may be another matter.
Reply 5
Techno rave at the Bodleian, anyone?
Reply 6
lol...I didn't expect this thread to be this "crazy" ....is it only Clubs/Pubs then? cauz that means it is more like Oxford citizen oriented instead of student-oriented...Are house parties rare?
Are Oxford students a bit like Medics, in that when they party they party hard? :biggrin:
Reply 8
matthew_mi
lol...I didn't expect this thread to be this "crazy" ....is it only Clubs/Pubs then? cauz that means it is more like Oxford citizen oriented instead of student-oriented...Are house parties rare?

Get over it...they don't have "frat parties" at Oxford because they don't have frats....they don't have "house parties" because they don't have frat houses nor do most students live in houses....and unless you can imagine any conceivable manner in which to pack more than 8 people into a dorm room common sense dictates that these don't happen too often either. Oxford is nothing like American universities...:smile: ... you seem to have a lot of preconceived notions that Oxford life is somehow comparable to life at American universities.
bochis
Get over it...they don't have "frat parties" at Oxford because they don't have frats....they don't have "house parties" because they don't have frat houses nor do most students live in houses....and unless you can imagine any conceivable manner in which to pack more than 8 people into a dorm room common sense dictates that these don't happen to often either. Oxford is nothing like American universities...:smile: ... you seem to have a lot of preconceived notions that Oxford life is somehow comparable to life at American universities.

so how many shots on average would you say you did on a friday night?

Where would I go to get good coke?
Reply 10
Oxford is more fun than the replies on this thread will almost certainly lead you to believe...
Mayfly
Oxford is more fun than the replies on this thread will almost certainly lead you to believe...

My uncle's mate's cousin's dog's previous owner knew someone who went to Oxford, and he said that if you are caught with alcohol ANYWHERE in the entire town (not just the university) the nerds perform lab tests on you.
Overground
My uncle's mate's cousin's dog's previous owner knew someone who went to Oxford, and he said that if you are caught with alcohol ANYWHERE in the entire town (not just the university) the nerds perform lab tests on you.

that constitutes scientific proof!!!!!!!!!!
therefore it must be true.lol
:tsr2:

US frat parties!!!
To be honest, films like Animal House are the only reason I even considered higher education.
I personally hope for a bunch of posh kids (honourable viscount nonsuch, etonian, and lady something-whatever, tutored) throwing themed masquerade balls where we all appear in wigs and stocking, or doublets and breeches drinking ridiculous amounts of champagne singing vulgar songs in Latin and French.

Basically, Versailles.
Reply 16

I personally hope for a bunch of posh kids (honourable viscount nonsuch, etonian, and lady something-whatever, tutored) throwing themed masquerade balls where we all appear in wigs and stocking, or doublets and breeches drinking ridiculous amounts of champagne singing vulgar songs in Latin and French.
I'll suggest it to the entz team...

Where would I go to get good coke?
Pretty much any bar, and probably most jcrs will have some source in them.

We probably have less parties, more clubbing, and of course bops (trashy jcr organised fancy dress parties). Presumably because we can drink legally so can go out to places. There are still the occasional piss ups/ corridor/ staircase parties though.
matthew_mi

Mathew, what this thread should tell you is NOT 'parties are rare in oxford' but rather 'the kind of person who hangs out on TSR does not go to many parties'.

There are tonnes of parties, but youll find more 'organised' events than random house parties; mainly because its legal, the uni / companies often sponser alcohol prices, and ****, its more fun doing it in public.

Clubbing is good but cheesy (theres also a lot more hardcore stuff 'hidden' in oxford that you need to have a friend bring you to). London is 40mins by train away for the serious nightlife (fabric or whatever else is your scene).

Its probably not comparable to the carnage of a Dartmouth frat party, but thats because half the fun of frat style parties is all the stupid insecure sluts being easy. You just dont get that in Oxford.
Reply 18
but rather 'the kind of person who hangs out on TSR does not go to many parties'.

What this thread tells you is that TSR members find it slightly incredulous that someone would feel the need to ask whether oxford students have parties. In case you hadn't noticed, most of the replies were less than serious.
We've had ridiculously enormous house parties at our place in Cowley. Even our basement's been converted into pimped out club grime. GRIME. Next party 6th week, all invited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending