The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

actually it would depend on whether the examiner felt that you talked abut enough in those 3000 words. Also what subject is it on?
It's Venezuela's role in the world oil market (Econ.). Dunno.....my teacher thought it wasn;t bad at all.....hope the examiner agrees.....
Well, sounds like a topic that can be interesting, what Chavez is doing is how shall we say it, unconventional, but he utilises his possibilities to get power...
All I have heard of eco EEs are that they usually want you to do a study of your own (i.e. I know friends that have been working at a company during summer and they collected some info about the company's economy etc. and then analysed when/why the company is going well etc...)

I reckon that about 3000 words sounds a bit lower than most essays, but if it is developed enough and well used words then you'll be fine (I mean the number of words itself doesn't make an essay good... )
Its a little low, but I stand behind my work =)
I got an interview with an ex-CEO of shell, anyway, I think it's good, lol.
Reply 24
TheDutchy
My Econ EE is 3,058 without the appendix/footnotes/table of contents, and all that. Teacher liked it I think. If I had to write more it just wouldn't have been good in my opinion.....I hope they don't find it too short, I reckon they only get annoyed when its over...

isnt 3,058 too short? because you cant count appendix/table of contents, graphs and tables.

i have a question~ does the 4000 word include footnotes? coz im pretty sure they do include the footnotes but just not all the picture, tables, graphs and the rest
No no no. Footnotes DO NOT count in the word count.
midnit3owl
isnt 3,058 too short? because you cant count appendix/table of contents, graphs and tables.

i have a question~ does the 4000 word include footnotes? coz im pretty sure they do include the footnotes but just not all the picture, tables, graphs and the rest

Hell no! And thank God for that, otherwise I wouldn't get my diploma (my essay would be 5,737 words long, not 3,837).
Reply 27
Do the words in the tables count?
Reply 28
Nope. As Osmosis posted:

The Length of the Extended Essay

The upper limit is 4000 words for all extended essays. The upper limit includes the introduction, the body, the conclusion and any quotations, but does not include:

- the abstract
- acknowledgements
- the contents page
- maps, charts, diagrams, annotated illustrations and tables
- the reference/bibliography
- appendices

Essays in excess of 4000 words are subject to penalties and examiners are not required to read material in excess of the word limit.
Bandev
Do the words in the tables count?

No so it's one way you can 'hide' words but dont make it too obvious that you're doing it. :smile:
Reply 30
HMSChocolate
No no no. Footnotes DO NOT count in the word count.

omg~ u SERIOUS?!?!?!
it doesnt?!?!
wth~ i thought they do count!
thats crappy!
Reply 31
o_O i'd think that would be a good thing .. i guess it depends ..
midnit3owl
omg~ u SERIOUS?!?!?!
it doesnt?!?!
thats crappy!

most people would think footnotes not being counted would be a good thing... I mean most stuff in your footnotes should be your references which shouldn't count as part of your essay. if any explanation/writing is in your footnotes, just move it up to the essay if you need more words.
Reply 33
If you label the table and refer to it as a source, I don't think it counts in the word count. If you wanted to be really safe, you could just stick it in the appendix, where it definitely wouldn't count (but then the examiner would not be required to read it).
midnit3owl
omg~ u SERIOUS?!?!?!
it doesnt?!?!
thats crappy!

That's an unusual response. You must be really economical with words. Take my advice: There's ALWAYS something to add. If you're that worried about footnotes not being counted (which, in my opinion, is crazy), move any explanations you have there to the essay body. If that's not enough, ADD SH*T. There's always stuff to add, my friend. Always. (especially in history, english and economics.)
Reply 35
nickjohnson
That's an unusual response. You must be really economical with words. Take my advice: There's ALWAYS something to add. If you're that worried about footnotes not being counted (which, in my opinion, is crazy), move any explanations you have there to the essay body. If that's not enough, ADD SH*T. There's always stuff to add, my friend. Always. (especially in history, english and economics.)

yeah, thats what i did. i put all the definition and stuff in the essay body.
just foot note something...footnotes dont count in the word count.

with footnotes included i have like 5200 words..
without *only* 3994
lol. @goldfiiisheee, we've resolved this problem already. :biggrin:
Reply 38
Hi,
As my extended essay topic for physics, I chose to investigate designs of
ceiling fans, where i will be seeing the effect of variation of certain factors
on the force exerted on surrounding air. Apparently, someone else in my class is also incorporating the same physics concepts in his EE topic, which is based on a windmill.
Now, according to my supervisor, I would be risking my diploma as IB won't like the similarity of topics from the same school and class.
Any suggestions as to how to proceed??? Are the topics too similar, and
any idea of what IB will do about it????
Its not advisable in my opinion, all the IB physics papers will go to the same person somewhere in the world. its not exactly the first topic that would come to mind when you start a physics EE, i would change, especially as it looks like you haven't gone that far into it. i said in the other post people have done the same topics, i seem to remember at my school solar cookers were realtivelypopular but i think it was 2 students from different year groups. check the vade mecum for more precise instruction.

Quick Reply

Latest