The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Hey guys,
I got a quick question here, Do you think that the question 'To what extent does dyslexia affect intelligence?' valid, and more so another one im interested in is 'To what extent does OCD affect intelligence?', is that valid, because maybe those ilnesses are not fully considered in the psycho community or something. Oh yeah, and when im determining the question, what should i look at? Furthermore were can i get resources (Studies...etc).
Thanks a ton!:biggrin:
Reply 821
I was planning on doing my EE in Biology, I really want to do something good for when applying to medschool.. I've discussed doing something on reaction time or memory with my bio teacher these seem like the only options when wanting to write about the brain...Is there really nothing else? Any ideas'll be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 822
Original post by Jademan10
Hey guys,
I got a quick question here, Do you think that the question 'To what extent does dyslexia affect intelligence?' valid, and more so another one im interested in is 'To what extent does OCD affect intelligence?', is that valid, because maybe those ilnesses are not fully considered in the psycho community or something. Oh yeah, and when im determining the question, what should i look at? Furthermore were can i get resources (Studies...etc).

I would stay away from including terms as intelligence. Intelligence is so vaguely defined that you will struggle to actually come up with methods allowing you to do a quantitative analysis.
Reply 823
I did mine on history.... "To what extent did the Soviet War in Afghanistan help in bringing about the collapse of the Soviet Union"

if anyone's struggling to come up with an Math EE topic... I was thinking of doing mine on the use of triangulation in mapmaking/GPS.... How it's become more accurate over the years, basic principles behind it. Should make for an interesting topic
Original post by alexmsf
I would stay away from including terms as intelligence. Intelligence is so vaguely defined that you will struggle to actually come up with methods allowing you to do a quantitative analysis.

I agree. i think knowledge would be more appropriate, but it might end up branching off onto TOK or epistemology....
Reply 825
I'm starting my EE in psychology. I'm trying to find a good research question. Something to do with learning and the effects of art/music/emotion/language
Reply 826
To be honest, all I can recommend as a general rule is that you make sure your topic will give you 4000 words, and that you're genuinely interested in it.
If you don't have these two things, it'll be incredibly hard to make it a good quality essay all the way through, and believe me you don't want to get bored halfway through it! Make sure you choose the topic because you really love it and have a genuine interest in it, not just because you think it sounds clever. :smile:

I finish exams tomorrow ( :biggrin: ) so I'm totally free to give advice. Just message me if you have questions! :smile:
Reply 827
Original post by Jademan10
Hey guys,

Do you do psychology? I just wasn't sure, as you don't seem to know if the illnesses aren't 'fully considered'...
I really think you should only do the essay on a subject you either do, or know a lot about already :smile: (And there should also be a teacher of that subject in your school!)

You can get resources from anywhere as long as you reference them. :biggrin:
Reply 828
Hey everyone :smile: Finished with exams! So glad. Anyway, I did my EE in English and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did poems by Christina Rossetti and Sylvia plath, but I'd be happy to help/ give advice on any english EEs, including novels.

Choose your subject and topic wisely! I don't mean to sound pedantic, and I'm sure you've heard this a billion times before, but yes, it really IS terribly important to be genuinely interested in your topic. I changed mine about five times before I found my poems. :smile:
Reply 829
guys can sum1 plz suggest me a ee topic for chemistry?
Reply 830
Original post by sego 02
guys can sum1 plz suggest me a ee topic for chemistry?

hey I did my EE in chemistry and I could totally help you. Are you thinking about doing a research or experimental EE? pm me and I can tell you more about my topic etc..
Reply 831
Original post by shaneli
Hey everyone :smile: Finished with exams! So glad. Anyway, I did my EE in English and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did poems by Christina Rossetti and Sylvia plath, but I'd be happy to help/ give advice on any english EEs, including novels.

Choose your subject and topic wisely! I don't mean to sound pedantic, and I'm sure you've heard this a billion times before, but yes, it really IS terribly important to be genuinely interested in your topic. I changed mine about five times before I found my poems. :smile:

Can't agree more. I did my EE on The Anniad by Gwendolyn Brooks - a poem with some 35-40 stanzas. Super long. I must have read it at least 80-100 times and never really felt sick of it because I really liked it.

I went through a lot of indecision too and was actually the last of my whole class to pick a topic and get started. Don't sweat it though.

PM if you need any advice.
Reply 832
I'm still searching for a research question. I'm doing my essay in Psychology HL and I want to focus on Memory. Mainly looking at influences on memory in teenagers but this is still too too broad! ¬¬ HELP!!
Reply 833
can any1 suggest me a topic for physics, cant really compare whether physics or chemistry would be better.!!
Reply 834
I'm starting the IB this August, but I already have an idea about what im gonna do:
Music:- A study on the techniques used by Camille Saint Saens to create the animals in his album - "Les Carnival Des Animaux" and the influence they've had on composers of more modern works like Tom and Jerry and Mickey Mouse.

What do you guys think? Does it work?
Reply 835
Original post by aviklotr
I'm starting the IB this August, but I already have an idea about what im gonna do:
Music:- A study on the techniques used by Camille Saint Saens to create the animals in his album - "Les Carnival Des Animaux" and the influence they've had on composers of more modern works like Tom and Jerry and Mickey Mouse.

I think this sounds really good! It could certainly make for an interesting and widely researched EE, and the latter of which is certainly something they mark highly for. It's also quite a specific title - which is very good - but sounds like it has enough 'meat' to get your 4000 words!
As long as you're really interested in this subject, it really sounds like you could get a good essay out of it. It helps if your supervisor knows something about the subject as well!
Original post by aviklotr

Just looking at the topic makes me want to read it. Send it to me when you are done-- for real.
Reply 837
Original post by Havok!
I think this sounds really good! It could certainly make for an interesting and widely researched EE, and the latter of which is certainly something they mark highly for. It's also quite a specific title - which is very good - but sounds like it has enough 'meat' to get your 4000 words!
As long as you're really interested in this subject, it really sounds like you could get a good essay out of it. It helps if your supervisor knows something about the subject as well!

All right thats awesome, thanks, yeah im extremely interested in his music and its alot of fun listening to them so looks like this is gonna be a fun EE
Reply 838
Original post by The Man of the Hour
Just looking at the topic makes me want to read it. Send it to me when you are done-- for real.

Awesome, will do, though ur gonna have to wait for a year i guess, cuz i start IB in August and the EE is usually completed by the start of the 2nd year of IB at my school
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by shaneli

Hi! I've just started thinking of ideas for my EE and I'd really love to do A1 English on poetry. The problem is, whilst I read novels on a daily basis, I've hardly got any poetry books at home and don't know where to start looking for suitable poems - I'm used to simply analysing those we're given at school.

So my question is - where should I start looking for poems to compare? How did you find the poets you wrote on?

I love Ted Hughes' poetry, but would it be a little bit ambitious/unoriginal to compare his work with Sylvia Plaths, given their relationship? I feel like this must have been done extensively before.

Thanks in advance!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending