The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys. I'm a Year 2 IB (not for long!!! almost done exams :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: ) and I've created a website/blog on all sorts of IB stuff. I've also posted some of my major IB projects (IAs EE TOK) so you guys can see what this stuff looks like :smile: feel free to post any questions in the comments box!!

http://sytywtib.blogspot.ca/

^So You Think You Want To IB
Im doing my EE in chemistry and i was originally going to determine the blood alcohol concentration using breathe samples of ppl but i dont think its good enough so i am going to do does time affect BAC hoping to find a trend lol. Is this a good and well original topic nobody i have seen online has this topic .....its pretty hard and i dont know how im going to find the BAC in ppl just using breathe samples ....i will have to make primary standards by the looks of things
Reply 902
Im currently planning my extended essay in art, whether design is art. As i cannot really ask my supervisor for help, because she has never done an EE before and confuses me more than leads me in the right direction (we even didnt agree to a research question), im not sure if i am on the right way. I wanted to start with finding out what art and design is, the purpose and the process and lead it to a comparison of both. Then i wanted to take some examples of art and design work, which are more and less similar. After that I decided to include some different opinions from artists and designers. I already took some interviews.
I doubt that i found the right way :confused: and if my topic is maybe too broad and because the most work comes from books and internet research, im not sure if it is individual enough. im thankful for any help !
Reply 903
I've chosen to do my extended essay in physics, and I need a topic for next week to give to my IB coordinator, but I can't narrow it down, or plan how I'm going to do it. I really want to do it in particle physics (an option we didn't do in class, but one that I love). Could anyone suggest anything, or help me think of how I could do an experiment with it?
Reply 904
Hi guys
I'm doing... Probably... my EE in English B HL cause I really like the subject. What I want to do is something about Jamaica, Jamaican English, reggae or Canadian English, influence of French, Quebec province stuff like that but the thing is I have no idea what to investigate... Any ideas what could be worth to write about? I need some ideas that will make the topic reasonable. Any ideas:smile:
Thanks in advance!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 905
I have just read through some of these pages, and I have to say I MISS this so much! Stressing out over whether or not footnotes are included in the wordcount etc. etc. Ah, good times.
Reply 906
I've chosen to do my EE on virtual particles, in physics. I'm not sure of any way I can do an experiment with this (I know science EE usually get higher marks with experiments), so I was wondering if there is a way I can be 'personally involved' with my topic. I'm still a bit confused with picking a thesis.

I know I've lost a lot of time already, and I'm feeling really stressed about this. Would it be too late to change my field of study now? :confused: :frown: :mad:
Reply 907
Hey guys,
Do you know if I can write my EE on a subject that won't be taught in my IB class? In my case it would be visual arts. We did have a choice to pick it however there werent enough students to form a class. Therefore we do have a visual arts teacher, however she will not be teaching her subject to us.
In this case I guess its impossible since I wont have a supervisor?:frown:
Hey guys,

I was planning on doing either "Why and to what extent is it vital that educated scientists tackle widespread diseases in the developing nation's of the world rather than focusing more on diseases in developed nations."

or

"Technological breakthroughs in medicine and new advances in the field of medicine, although vital to ongoing improvements of treatments for certain diseases, continually make physicians' duties and responsibilities more complicated and difficult to carry out"

I'll talk about the issues of medical ethics a lot in the last one.
I'm not really sure which topic would be better although I do think I could argue the second one a bit better.
Opinions, anyone?
Reply 909
Hi!

I'm really interested in doing an EE in Music. However, I'm not sure what topic I should go with. I was thinking something to do with Glenn Gould or J.S. Bach. What do you think?

Thanks!
Hey draonnium,

I don't know if this is a good reason at all but I'd say go with Gould since he's a little lesser known? :smile: might make for a more interesting essay...
Original post by wjw
I've chosen to do my EE on virtual particles, in physics. I'm not sure of any way I can do an experiment with this (I know science EE usually get higher marks with experiments), so I was wondering if there is a way I can be 'personally involved' with my topic. I'm still a bit confused with picking a thesis.

I know I've lost a lot of time already, and I'm feeling really stressed about this. Would it be too late to change my field of study now? :confused: :frown: :mad:

Well, I cant really help you with the physics part of your question, but as far as switching is concerned, I had classmates who started their EEs in September and changed their topics completely. If your deadlines are at all similar to the ones we had, you still have time to switch. Imo, its better to have a topic you can investigate and experiment on + less time than plenty of time and a confusing topic. Good luck!
Original post by clari
Im currently planning my extended essay in art, whether design is art. As i cannot really ask my supervisor for help, because she has never done an EE before and confuses me more than leads me in the right direction (we even didnt agree to a research question), im not sure if i am on the right way. I wanted to start with finding out what art and design is, the purpose and the process and lead it to a comparison of both. Then i wanted to take some examples of art and design work, which are more and less similar. After that I decided to include some different opinions from artists and designers. I already took some interviews.
I doubt that i found the right way :confused: and if my topic is maybe too broad and because the most work comes from books and internet research, im not sure if it is individual enough. im thankful for any help !

I didnt have art during the IB, but I feel like that question is way too vague and the conclusion could be that it depends on each individual's definition of art.
Hi!

I'm also writing on my EE. I am doing it in history, but I am not sure whether my topic is too broad:

To what extent was the introduction of western education in India helpful for Indian people?

Do you think I should narrow it down/formulate the RQ differently?
I would be extremely grateful for any opinions!
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by roman holidays
Hi!

I'm also writing on my EE. I am doing it in history, but I am not sure whether my topic is too broad:

To what extent was the introduction of western education in India helpful for Indian people?

Do you think I should narrow it down/formulate the RQ differently?
I would be extremely grateful for any opinions!
Thanks in advance :smile:

If I were you I would narrow it down to a certain period in time, a certain social class or rather investigate the impact western education had in one particular event in the history of India... Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Thank you so much for your answer, I really appreciate it! I might narrow it down to the "lower" social classes in India at that time.. I just have so much difficulties in deciding my final research question and then stick to it! I already have two drafts for two different RQ's and both don't really work out :confused:
btw: my grandmother went to a british missionary school in british india (she was half indian), do you think I could bring her experiences into my essay? like some sort of an interview or as a primary source (oral history)? so I could at least analyse something, at the moment I just summarize books --> no individual contribution..
sorry for all those confusing q's but i'm just freaking out right now.
(edited 11 years ago)
No problem :smile: dont worry about the RQ too much, just make sure to do lots of background reading. Many of my classmates changed theirs after writing the whole essay, to fit its content better.

I used an interview with my grandpa as a source for my historical investigation, so Id say yes, but you would need to attach a transcript of it to the essay, I believe. Ask your teacher just to be sure! Also, make sure you arent summarizing! Thats a big mistake, you jave to analyze anything you put in. If its sth an author said, try to look at his nationality or beliefs and decide whether he could be biased and look for someone who said sth different. Basicallly, show the situation from many viewpoints.

Good luck with it :smile: dont stress out too much, I wrote my first draft a couple of days before its deadline and still did pretty well. Just make sure to communicate with your teacher.
Thanks a LOT for your help, I really appreciate it :smile:
Good luck with your EE you all!
Reply 918
I'm doing my Bio Extended Essay on BMI and Blood pressure and I've discovered that someone else has done the same topic title, what's worse is that it's an examples used by the I.B!!! Do I continue with it?

I've tried changing it a little by incorporating heart rate and BAI, but I think that may be too many variables. Thoughts?
Original post by EvelynA
I'm doing my Bio Extended Essay on BMI and Blood pressure and I've discovered that someone else has done the same topic title, what's worse is that it's an examples used by the I.B!!! Do I continue with it?

I've tried changing it a little by incorporating heart rate and BAI, but I think that may be too many variables. Thoughts?

Id change it asap, esp if its an example used by IBO, theyre big on originality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending