The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'd go further; do NOT use wikipedia as a source at all, use the sources on wikipedia :wink:
Reply 81
yup, I know is is a stict no-no.. but the thing is that, firstly, not my only source, sorry if you misunderstood.. and I would just mention that the concept of daemons could have been inspired from that mythology where there is some being like that.. but yeah, it would be just one senctence and then forgotten... but it truly would be a needle in a haystack to look specifically for that in the internet. And the sources on wikipedia of it are books. :/ but yeah, I guess I just should leave the hazy origin part out for this difficulty..
Reply 82
Jcat
yup, I know is is a stict no-no.. but the thing is that, firstly, not my only source, sorry if you misunderstood.. and I would just mention that the concept of daemons could have been inspired from that mythology where there is some being like that.. but yeah, it would be just one senctence and then forgotten... but it truly would be a needle in a haystack to look specifically for that in the internet. And the sources on wikipedia of it are books. :/ but yeah, I guess I just should leave the hazy origin part out for this difficulty..

oh right. but then try to track down the books.. local library or even google books!

but if it is a small part, then you could leave it out until the end (or when you're really bored :p:)
Reply 83
HiBear
oh right. but then try to track down the books.. local library or even google books!

but if it is a small part, then you could leave it out until the end (or when you're really bored :p:)

hehe, probably leaving it out... :biggrin: just that it won't complicate things anymore..
Reply 84
Quoted from the Extended Essay topics thread.

GillyPlease
I'm doing my EE in English A1, and currently my essay aims examines how Adrienne Rich's "Livingin Sin", Anne Sexton's "Her Kind" and Marge Piercy's "Barby Doll" examine what it was to be a woman during the second half of the twentieth century.

I'm not sure if I should change the underlined section to their imposed roles as women. I'm not sure if there is a better way to word this? Is it fine as it is, or too vague/unclear/confused?

Also, I have analysed each of poems to shreds individually, and they each explore different feminine roles. The style of the poems is fairly similar, as are the poets. Does this mean my essay is too narrow? And is my topic even worthy of investigation at all, or is it too much of a well worn topic (basically just an analysis of feminine poetry doing what it does in the 70s...)

Any feedback/ideas would be helpful ta:biggrin:

"what it was to be a woman" is kind of badly phrased i think, especially for an English A1 EE.

I like you latter suggestion better, though I do have a feeling there might be an even better way of phrasing it. But dont worry about the title yet, if you do know the jist of what you are going to write.

It will be more interesting for the examiner to read a "new" essay. If your topic is a popular one and overdone, it might not get a good score... the ideas etc might have been plagerised (maybe)

They always like your own thoughts, so maybe it would be better to find some other poet at the time... compare the feminist poets with another poet with another "cause" perhaps and how he/she portrayed women ?
Are "sweatshops" a kind of "necessary evil" in Asia's pursuit of modernization, development, and prosperity for all, or are they so exploitative with such low wages that they never offer the poor a chance to really improve their situation?

I am thinking that I should slim down the topic to just *Are "sweatshops" a kind of "necessary evil" in Asia's pursuit of modernization, development, and prosperity for all?*, that way it's mainly analyzed from an economic standpoint , instead of involving the human rights element.

So, I am pretty sure that this would go into Economics.

And, are required number of resources supposed to be print resources?
jc_bach
try to compare prices (okay u can still stick w/ price discrimination) between carrefour in CBD and in rural areas, pick a few products (some common ones/brands and some not-so-common) and analyse it using your economic knowledge.

What would be a suitable title for this though?

Edit (HiBear):
redirected from
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=20329048
Reply 87
stabilosmith
What would be a suitable title for this though?

a very basic title could be : "What are the economic reasons for the price discrimination for products in the Carrefour Singapore and Tapei"

well better phrased ofcourse.

What you could do is also look at the closest food shop to each of the Carrefour shops, and discuss the price difference between them as well. At the moment, it seems as if your EE will not develop much discussion.
Reply 88
krishna1731
Are "sweatshops" a kind of "necessary evil" in Asia's pursuit of modernization, development, and prosperity for all, or are they so exploitative with such low wages that they never offer the poor a chance to really improve their situation?

I am thinking that I should slim down the topic to just *Are "sweatshops" a kind of "necessary evil" in Asia's pursuit of modernization, development, and prosperity for all?*, that way it's mainly analyzed from an economic standpoint , instead of involving the human rights element.

So, I am pretty sure that this would go into Economics.

And, are required number of resources supposed to be print resources?

You will need to collect your own raw data, to even have a shot at getting above a C. So I really don't think it's a good idea. The IB doesn't want a huge discussion about why it should/should not be there they want concrete "found by yourself" data analysis.

Right now with your title I don't think you could obtain raw data from it. :/

It is an interesting topic, but it's really not what the IB is looking for.

Also bring it closer to home. The IB likes it when you connect something economical with your everyday life and your analysis can be connected to it.
My EE topic is "push and pull factors for migration for Lublin". Is it a good idea to confront two different ideas on migration in my EE, I mean Ravenstein's laws of migration and Reilly's law of retail gravitation? It should show if these two laws apply to my city as well, and if not (probably Ravenstein's won't), which one is better. However I don't want my EE to become too messy, so what's the best solution? Compare both points of view on migraton or, chceck if only one of them is valid?
HiBear
a very basic title could be : "What are the economic reasons for the price discrimination for products in the Carrefour Singapore and Tapei"

well better phrased ofcourse.

What you could do is also look at the closest food shop to each of the Carrefour shops, and discuss the price difference between them as well. At the moment, it seems as if your EE will not develop much discussion.

Well initially I was going to use "What evidence suggests that Carrefour practices price discrimination" or something along those lines, thus giving me room to talk about evidence that points towards it not doing so - eg large land price differences, resulting in a different costs and hence different prices. The areas I'm investigating have different profiles - one is more rural, the other is in the heart of the city...

Basing it on two countries allows me to talk about tax rate differences and transport costs as well.

If I approach it from that angle, do you think I would have enough to write about? My supervisor thinks so but I'm trying to think of things to add because I personally feel it'll be a little short.
Hi, I’m doing my ee in Biology and it seems to be going really well, I'm just a bit stuck on the conclusion, how do you actually start them? It’s the only bit I’ve been truly stuck on, and would that be where I analyse my Spearmans results?

Thanks.
I'm not doing a Biology EE but I've got a couple of friends who are; basically their approach to it is to treat like a giant, extended lab report. So in that sense analysis of results is kind of split between the conclusion (which would be the final analysis) and earlier sections (where you process them a little bit). To start with I guess you can try relating it back to your hypothesis and state whether your results support or disprove it, and then go on to show how they did so.

But then again I'm not doing it myself so I might be wrong.
Reply 93
illu45
I'm not sure how the EE regulations work, but in my experience direct quotes usually do not count towards the word count for academic papers.

Oh right, I forgot about that :p: just ignore that part of my post.
Reply 94
stabilosmith
Well initially I was going to use "What evidence suggests that Carrefour practices price discrimination" or something along those lines, thus giving me room to talk about evidence that points towards it not doing so - eg large land price differences, resulting in a different costs and hence different prices. The areas I'm investigating have different profiles - one is more rural, the other is in the heart of the city...

Basing it on two countries allows me to talk about tax rate differences and transport costs as well.

If I approach it from that angle, do you think I would have enough to write about? My supervisor thinks so but I'm trying to think of things to add because I personally feel it'll be a little short.

yeah. ok it sounds good. but you might like to add the location and countries at the end of your title :h:

and also if it becomes short, you can add in a passage somewhere discussing something else of interest that you might have discovered during your research! :smile:
Reply 95
fadingwinters
Good choice! I love Wong Kar Wai's work. I particularly enjoyed Lust, Caution - saw it at the Istanbul International Film Festival a couple of years ago

Lust, Caution was directed by Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) . Wong Kar Wai has directed Chungking Express, Days of Being Wild, Ashes of Time, Happy Together, In the Mood for Love, 2046, My Blueberry Nights and Fallen Angels.

EDIT (Hibear)
Moved from What's your EE? thread
Reply 96
i dun think the difference prices is due to the price of land, i mean its the same company and can transfer assets across stores, i think the dif. prices are due to the targeted consumers in terms of their real income. Also you should think abt what method you are going to use to gather your information.
Reply 97
Hi guys, i just need a little bit of help with my extended essay topic.
I so far have " was the cold war inevitable, and who is to blame?" but i am hoping for some help on narrowing it down a bit as it seems like a broad question.
what i will be doing is analyzing the events which built up the cold war on both the soviet and american side, and evaluate who can be blamed for this.
thanks
Reply 98
Anguuuhs
Hi guys, i just need a little bit of help with my extended essay topic.
I so far have " was the cold war inevitable, and who is to blame?" but i am hoping for some help on narrowing it down a bit as it seems like a broad question.
what i will be doing is analyzing the events which built up the cold war on both the soviet and american side, and evaluate who can be blamed for this.
thanks

maybe choose one side to really focus on and then make it
"was the cold war inevitable and to what extent was the _______s to blame?"

this way you'll look at both sides, but still with a focus on one of the sides.

these sort of essays have been done before. ask your history teacher if he/she has some extended essays on this topic.
Reply 99
wow you reli need to narrow the title down ALOT or the debate will take forever, try and find a small topic of the cold war instead of the whole thing!!

Quick Reply

Latest