The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamieeC
So I really need help because my EE proposal is due TOMORROW and the only thing i've figured out is that I want to do my EE on English with the book 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry (i'm going in the dystopian route) but I can't think of a question and my teacher says it's good to compare two books but I can't think of another book similar to 'The Giver' that I can use.
Also, if 'The Giver' doesn't work out, i'm considering to do 'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstern or anything Paulo Coelho.
Any ideas?

Looks like the most common comparisons are with brave new world: http://sffrd.library.tamu.edu/search/?q=the+giver&page=1&search=Search

That doesn't mean you should do the same though :smile:
Original post by HiBear
I have seen way too many EE threads floating about.
So instead of making a new thread for every EE question there is, better post just in one thread right? =]

From now on, I will merge all threads concerning Extendeds into this one.
Hopefully the forum wont be so clogged up anymore and you will all be able to get more varied answers!

When you are finished deciding over you EE topic, please post here:
What's your Extended Essay Topics?

Hey! So I'm doing it on Economics - The impact of a smoking ban on the spanish economy (mainly because i live there) and it's pretty easy because there's quite alot to talk about (the crisis, elasticities etc.)
BUT!
I'm in deep trouble right now because i really need first hand data! I'd be really really grateful if you could fill this survey up for me? (its on smoking, it'll be completely anonymous btw)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10LNye9z5nK9of-DdYNwz1RUSDMmlQyWVQpxE1lQiXys/edit#

The pain is real with this one :wink: Thanks alot! If you guys are in a similar situation, I'd be more than glad to fill out your surveys!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 982
Well my EE proposal was due 2 weeks ago and I'm still thoroughly lost. I'm pretty adamant on doing it on English Literature and I've chosen the books "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" and "The Stranger". I still don't have a research question or a clear idea on how to compare. Any ideas?
Just linking to this again as it is due to start in a coupld of weeks time: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project-sep-2014 a free online course designed to help with EE and EPQ type research projects.

Also http://www.edshare.soton.ac.uk/4068/1/guide_to_research.pdf is worth a read - contains a bunch of links to GOOD online resources for each subject (there's a whole bunch of similar guides available here: http://www.learnwithus.southampton.ac.uk/academicSkills/ )
I am currently studying my A2s along with the Welsh Baccalaureate. I'm not hoping to receive any offers including the bacc as my results should get me where I want to be, but I am obviously aiming for the best grade I can. My individual investigation (which I assume is similar to an EE in the IB) needs to be related to Computer Systems, Science or Programming. I have come up with endless amounts of ideas but I am struggling to find information relating to a country that I can compare with Wales on any subject relating to these topics. If anyone has any ideas or sources of information that they think could help me in anyway I would greatly appreciate it.
Hello!
I have been putting off the act of starting my Computer Science EE due to the difficulty of finding a topic of appropriate complexity, for example, at first I wanted to make the EE about SLAM using ultrasonic distance sensors, however, that is much too complicated as I have experience with SLAM yet and because the imprecise nature of these sensors would require quite a lot of optimization.
Nonetheless, I thought decided that I could make my EE involving sensors anyway, albeit in a different manner. The title of my EE could be something along the lines of "A comparison between various distance sensors for robotic purposes". My idea is to compare the accuracy, difficulty of implementation and price/performance of IR, ultrasonic and laser distance sensors. If it would make a positive difference, I could write about these points in relation to the Arduino platform.
Would this be a good topic to pursue for the EE or should I look for something else?
(edited 9 years ago)
probably very stupid question to ask, and probably varies between schools, but when generally do we have to pick a topic for IB?
because I want to do it for Eng Lit, it would greatly influence what books I read next...also, um, if anyone can tell me where to find books to write essays on would be great~ I'm currently reading and loving Sense and Sensibility but I've heard on other forums that I should avoid 'mainstream' topics like Jane Austen's novels if possible...I haven't read many classics and I don't know how to start other than from the 'famous' ones
Original post by LeviosaNight
probably very stupid question to ask, and probably varies between schools, but when generally do we have to pick a topic for IB?
because I want to do it for Eng Lit, it would greatly influence what books I read next...also, um, if anyone can tell me where to find books to write essays on would be great~ I'm currently reading and loving Sense and Sensibility but I've heard on other forums that I should avoid 'mainstream' topics like Jane Austen's novels if possible...I haven't read many classics and I don't know how to start other than from the 'famous' ones

I had to pick a topic by November/December of year 1, but couldn't really get started on it until I got my supervisor in January. I did it in English Lit, which was great because there's no waiting around for labs to be free, waiting for plants to grow/data to be collected, etc, so I was the first in my year to complete the first draft of my EE.
If you really love Sense and Sensibility, do your EE on that! It's true that they will not look kindly on well-worn topics, but that doesn't mean you can't use a popular author. You just have to look at it from a new angle, a different perspective, etc.
For example, I did my EE on dystopian literature, which is another very common topic. To make it a bit different, I chose to compare the depiction of a character in 1984 (obviously an extremely popular choice), and We (a Russian novel which is a lot less known, yet equally, if not more, important in the body of dystopian literature).
Original post by Neverme
I had to pick a topic by November/December of year 1, but couldn't really get started on it until I got my supervisor in January. I did it in English Lit, which was great because there's no waiting around for labs to be free, waiting for plants to grow/data to be collected, etc, so I was the first in my year to complete the first draft of my EE.
If you really love Sense and Sensibility, do your EE on that! It's true that they will not look kindly on well-worn topics, but that doesn't mean you can't use a popular author. You just have to look at it from a new angle, a different perspective, etc.
For example, I did my EE on dystopian literature, which is another very common topic. To make it a bit different, I chose to compare the depiction of a character in 1984 (obviously an extremely popular choice), and We (a Russian novel which is a lot less known, yet equally, if not more, important in the body of dystopian literature).

Thanks~
it seems like everyone's doing theirs on dystopian literature, I've heard about someone at my school who did it in Lit and also wrote 1984...
Can I ask how did you find out about We? Did your teacher mention it or did you discover it online or something?
Thanks~
it seems like everyone's doing theirs on dystopian literature, I've heard about someone at my school who did it in Lit and also wrote 1984...
Can I ask how did you find out about We? Did your teacher mention it or did you discover it online or something?

My parents both studied Russian at uni and then lived in Russia for several years, so when I became interested in dystopian literature, they recommended it to me :smile:
cool!

has anyone else here done/is going to do their EE in Lit? Would greatly appreciate more advice <3
(edited 9 years ago)
My school forces us to do our EE in the summer of the first year of IB so that we hand it in in September of our final year. I did my EE in Geography and found it a relatively enjoyable and stress free process. The only bit I found challenging was cutting down the excess of 2000 words I had written.
wow, you were 2000 words over the limit? you must have chosen a very interesting topic
wow, you were 2000 words over the limit? you must have chosen a very interesting topic

It is interesting to me at least! :smile:
cool!

has anyone else here done/is going to do their EE in Lit? Would greatly appreciate more advice <3

I'm not exactly sure what you guys mean by an extended essay but anyway for the A level syllabus in Singapore, we can pursue a Higher 3 coursework. The "normal" subject is at the Higher 2 level.

I did my H3 in Lit, choosing the dystopian novels Brave New World, 1984 and A Clockwork Orange.

p.s. for those who need Literature references (especially on practical criticism of poems), feel free to check out my Lit blog at theawarrior.wordpress.com!
Reply 995
I think I want to do something with America's interventionism policy during the Cold War, but I want to veer away from Cuba/Bay of Pigs because I feel like that gets done too much. Any ideas?
Original post by afern
I think I want to do something with America's interventionism policy during the Cold War, but I want to veer away from Cuba/Bay of Pigs because I feel like that gets done too much. Any ideas?

America intervened in a lot of places during the Cold War. The Korean and Vietnam Wars are great examples of USA attempting to contain/ roll back the tide of Communism. The Korean War seems to be less covered than Cuba and Vietnam, so perhaps you can do more research on that and see if it interests you. Another country up for consideration is West Germany/ Berlin... explore USA's political and economic policies in that area e.g. the introduction of Deutsche Mark vs. Ostmark which culminated in the Berlin blockade of 1949.
Reply 997
Original post by Edeline J.
America intervened in a lot of places during the Cold War. The Korean and Vietnam Wars are great examples of USA attempting to contain/ roll back the tide of Communism. The Korean War seems to be less covered than Cuba and Vietnam, so perhaps you can do more research on that and see if it interests you. Another country up for consideration is West Germany/ Berlin... explore USA's political and economic policies in that area e.g. the introduction of Deutsche Mark vs. Ostmark which culminated in the Berlin blockade of 1949.

Thanks so much!! I think I'll look into the Korean War and Germany and see which one I find more interesting.
Original post by Edeline J.
I'm not exactly sure what you guys mean by an extended essay but anyway for the A level syllabus in Singapore, we can pursue a Higher 3 coursework. The "normal" subject is at the Higher 2 level.

I did my H3 in Lit, choosing the dystopian novels Brave New World, 1984 and A Clockwork Orange.

p.s. for those who need Literature references (especially on practical criticism of poems), feel free to check out my Lit blog at theawarrior.wordpress.com!

thank you!
EE is a 4000 words or so (i think) essay on any subject that if you failed you do not pass your IB, and if you did really good it bumps up your overall IB grade
I am a IB year 1 student and I have to choose a topic for my EE until the 12th December. I was planning on doing it in Computer Science and about a topic related to robotics if possible even to space exploration because I am very interested in it. However I am just starting to learn more about Robotics so I do not have a large knowledge in this field, which is why up to this point I was not able to narrow it down to a broad research question or even a more specific topic. It would be great if you had some ideas on specific topics I could do my EE about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending